Sponsored

Ford dealership snapped bolts to skid plate.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glad they took care of it OP.
The question I would have is "Did the tech put never-seize on the bolts when he reinstalled them",
or did he just run them in dry, again.🤔
Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The first oil change is hard bc those bolts come with loctite or something similar. The future changes aren’t too bad. Def let it rip with the gun.

Glad it seems to be sorted out now.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I noticed one of mine was very tight when loosening during the last oil change. I plan on removing all the bolts next oil change and adding anti-seize to the bolts.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the 2dr 2.3L require the plate be removed? I can't recall ever seeing a plate in the way, or my oil change place removing one. Starting to get worried...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the 2dr 2.3L require the plate be removed? I can't recall ever seeing a plate in the way, or my oil change place removing one. Starting to get worried...
Yes it does. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, 230k Broncos on the road and this is the first time I have read about a tech snapping a skid plate bolt.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it does. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, 230k Broncos on the road and this is the first time I have read about a tech snapping a skid plate bolt.
I'm worried I don't have that plate. Like I said, I can see the oil tech changing my oil most times, and I can't recall them ever wrestling with a plate first or after.

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
It happened to me last oil change. Short version it was my fault for having an aftermarket skid plate. They ended up extracting the broken bolt, changed the oil but had to keep it overnight. They told me I will have to pay an additional $175 next time for them to remove the plate. They didn't replace the bolt they broke. I nodded and took the keys back, no sense arguing at this point. I will just remove the skid myself in the future before oil changes or get the service done at a different dealer. I want the dealer to change the oil because my 2.7 is in the window for the engine failure due to valves. On a good note I shot an email to @Metalcloak asking if they sell replacement bolts and they shipped me one for free.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, I'm at the dealership getting an oil change and was informed that the oil change techs snapped the bolts while removing my skid plates. They blamed it on the me taking it on the sand dunes and said the sand build up caused the issue and are making me pay for it. Could there be any truth to this or do you think they're passing the buck?
Unless you made a modification to the skid plate fasteners, this is the dealer service depart problem to fix for you without making an issue of it. Sand build up? Sand mostly blows away. Did you stuff a sand dune? Bend a plate? Was it really full of stand? Removing skid plates, whether plastic or metal, is unfortunately a normal part of oil change now. They should fix it. Glad to read that they did!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it possible the factory is over torquing these skid plate bolts, hence causing them to be stressed and break on removal? Seems odd to have them break during what should be a simple removal process for oil change. (Maybe I'll crawl under and check mine.)

Also I've gotten vehicles back from service with bolts over tightened, maybe that's really what happened, over overzealous snap on re-install?

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is wild! No, the dealer tech broke them, it is their responsibility.

I bet they hit them with an air gun at maximum uggas.
Air guns don't have uggas. They have wack, wacks. You know how much torque you apply by counting them.

Sponsored

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always like to ask the service advisor if the assigned mechanics and lot jockeys know how to drive a Manual.

Once, I took back the keys from one of their guys that couldn't move the Shelby that was ahead of me out of the service lane.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
"you break it, you buy it"

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
All the horror stories I hear from people not changing their own oil, I don’t understand. Faster and convenient how? You’re still having to sit and wait while someone else changes it and hope you don’t leave with something broken or wonder if the oil/filter even got changed. Moral of the story: trust nobody, avoid dealerships/quick lube places, do as much work as possible yourself when it comes to maintaining your vehicle.

Last edited:

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like the tech forgot lefty-loosie and went full ugga-ugga and snapped the bolts tightening them instead of loosening them.

No way a bit of sand build up is going to bind the bolts to the point of failure when removing them.

Absolutely no way I would be paying for that either. A matter of fact, I would stop them from doing anymore work, immediately talk to the service manager or even the GM and have them repair the bolts.

Again, I would not trust them to proceed with any service work. They have proven themselves incompetent and negligent.
Exactly….. and power tools can make that simple goof a big problem. They own it.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Talk to Dealership Owner, old school is U break it, u fix it!
It's one reason I do go to my dealership for maintenance. They screw up...they WILL be paying for it. If I screw it up....it's all on me.
Sponsored