Sponsored

Ford dealership snapped bolts to skid plate.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All the horror stories I hear from people not changing their own oil, I don’t understand. Faster and convenient how? You’re still having to sit and wait while someone else changes it and hope you don’t leave with something broken or wonder if the oil/filter even got changed. Moral of the story: trust nobody, avoid dealerships/quick lube places, do as much work as possible yourself when it comes to maintaining your vehicle.
The Ford dealer here offers free oil changes for life. I try to take advantage of that with all our vehicles purchased from this Particular dealer. Its easier since I do not have to worry about disposing of the oil as well.
Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the front bash plates and have changed the oil myself several times. These are big steel bolts, there is no way they are going to seize up and break because of sand. Maybe the last guy to change the oil over torqued the bolts? That said its most likely the result of the impact wrench used to remove the bolt, they had the setting too high. I'm glad I always change the oil myself, takes about 20 minutes.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm worried I don't have that plate. Like I said, I can see the oil tech changing my oil most times, and I can't recall them ever wrestling with a plate first or after.

I believe with a badlands you should have a plate even with a 2.3. I have a BD 2.7 so I’m not 100% on that.

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Ford dealer here offers free oil changes for life. I try to take advantage of that with all our vehicles purchased from this Particular dealer. It’s easier since I do not have to worry about disposing of the oil as well.
I understand the temptation but a lot of the stories that I have heard also start with free oil changes lol. I think even if I were offered free ones I would still do my own knowing they are done correctly and safely. As far as oil disposal places, visit https://search.earth911.com/ and look up places by you. I got lucky and ended up finding an Oreilly close to my house that I recycle my used oil at. Oh well live and learn. I would also find out what kind of oil they are using because a lot of these places that advertise free oil changes are using a non-synthetic lower tier or quality oil.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are a few different angles here.

1) people who simply don’t have the mechanical knowledge to work on their own vehicles (Vast majority)
2) people who don’t have the space to do it. (Small group)
3) people who expect the dealership to be competent (Uniformed majority)
4) people who trust a local independent mechanic (Sadly too small a group)

My friend refuses to take her car anywhere else than the dealer she bought it from. No amount of discussion will change her mind.

Sponsored

Signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bullshit. Hence, why I do all my own non warranty service work. And when I took it in for the driveshaft recall I removed my aftermarket skids beforehand.
They need to eat this since the skid was stock and removal is needed for an oil change.
your right, can not trust them.....when i get new tires, i take all the old tires/rims off of my truck, get the new 4 tires, and bring all of them to have the new tires put on the rims....don't have to worry about them with my truck,no screwed up clutch,(cant trust them to drive a manual) no stripped lugs,...the least they have to touch , the better....

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand the temptation but a lot of the stories that I have heard also start with free oil changes lol. I think even if I were offered free ones I would still do my own knowing they are done correctly and safely. As far as oil disposal places, visit https://search.earth911.com/ and look up places by you. I got lucky and ended up finding an Oreilly close to my house that I recycle my used oil at. Oh well live and learn. I would also find out what kind of oil they are using because a lot of these places that advertise free oil changes are using a non-synthetic lower tier or quality oil.

Well, I hope Jim Click Ford uses the oil specs from Ford with their Maintenance for life program. After all they would have to justify why they didn't in a warranty claim.

I have been changing oil in my vehicles for 40 years. Not sure where you live but AutoZones and Oreillys are all over. Its just not convenient for me to take several oil drain containers down to empty them all the time.

I usually wait for a few oil changes before I dispose of oil, My Ram 3500 takes 12 quarts. Then I have my wiles Chrysler 300 and the Bronco....and sometimes the kids decide to bring their vehicles over for oil changes. So hauling all that oil in the bed of the truck and taking it to AutoZone is time prohibitive or I do not feel like it!

The 300 and the Bronco are covered under Jim Clicks maintenance for life - sometimes they are booked up so I ended up doing it myself. But having the option to drop it off and let them do it is nice.

My Ram dealer will sometimes offer full synthetic oil changes for less than my time and what I can buy the filter and oil for. So I let them do it from time to time.

Time is money, so I use what option works best for me at the time. I always do my own fuel filters, the Ram has 2 and there is never any deals at the dealer for those!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Could be worse.

Mine snapped a skid plate bolt while **re-installing** it on its FIRST-EVER oil change.

I still don't know how the f*** you screw that up, but glad the dealer fessed up and ordered a replacement.

OP
OP

Spillage

Black Diamond
First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What dealer want to make sure I don't go there?
Just wondering, how much was this work they were threatening to charge you for?
Never found out. I marched into the service directors office, explained the situation and was told that they would take care of it. My guess, the charge to drill out the snapped screws and retape the holes, probably a couple of hundred dollars, from a dealership anyway. They always have the highest labor rates.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never found out. I marched into the service directors office, explained the situation and was told that they would take care of it. My guess, the charge to drill out the snapped screws and retape the holes, probably a couple of hundred dollars, from a dealership anyway. They always have the highest labor rates.
How can you not find out the name of the dealer when you are at the dealer? I'm confused?

Sponsored

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Everyone is trying to hit bonus numbers or even profitability quotas. 3 hours of money spent on repairs is really 6 hours of loss for them.

Glad it worked out.

\
Update : Just spoke with the service director and made my case as to why this is in now ay way my fault. He agreed with me and told me there would be no charge to me and they would take care of it. All I'm out now, is just my time ( about 2 hours now ). It just baffles me as to why the service advisor just straight up blamed me for an unforseen issue.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Brought Booger in for some work. Told my guy that"I broke this" and [aid for it. COuld have tried to pass the buck but didn't.

It's one reason I do go to my dealership for maintenance. They screw up...they WILL be paying for it. If I screw it up....it's all on me.

IWDesertGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Dr Badlands LUX+SASQ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We own 2 Porsches (2022 GT4 and 2021 GTS Boxster 4.0) and have been repeatedly told that "these cars have been designed to be driven, hard; to test them, to push them". So we have and we do! Any wear or repair issues have always been covered under warranty - with virtually no questions asked (including one track day issue). These cars are engineering marvels!

We also have an 11 month old 2022 Badlands Sasquatch 2 door Bronco and have already been challenged at the Service Dept with "looks like you took this rig off-road" and "looks like this car has seen a lot of sun and outdoors" and "these 'cars' were meant to handle some tough situations but not to be abused". I mean, we're talking "walk in the park fire road and small rocks driving situations"!!

Fortunately I have escalated these ridiculous service answers up the COC and repairs were provided under warranty . . . but it is always with a disclaimer when I go to pick it up that "be careful driving this 'car' in the future".

Yeah, I know there is a price differential between these 2 brands but whatever your corporate price point is I believe it is important for you stand behind your marketing and your product!

Porsches are meant to be driven . . . and the company stands behind this pledge 👍🤗🙏🏁

Ford advertises Bronco as the "King Of The Offroaders" . . . and yet too many Ford Service Departments challenge this notion and still refer to the Bronco as "a car" 🤬🤣
Sponsored