Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In my thirst for more knowledge I learned some more. I’ve heard about the reliability of the escape and fusion hybrids, but never knew why. So the 2.5l is really a Mazda engine design, and Ford has been using them forever and they are extremely reliable engines just on their own. Now the hybrid system... it’s basically the same as a Prius. Aisin transmissions is pretty legendary in their own right (A big one is the AW4 in the XJ and TJ wranglers... bulletproof.) but for hybrid transmissions it’s a short list and all extremely reliable vehicles.
C676F44A-D5F0-42AA-9FAD-592D80B5844C.jpeg

Pretty awesome. Basically Toyota reliability in a Ford product that gets 40 MPG what’s not to love?
So just a sec... The hybrid system used in Ford products is homegrown and is not a shared component from Toyota. So it has no "Toyota reliability" in it. Secondly, Toyota's parallel hybrid design was first cribbed from a TRW patented parallel hybrid system developed by TRW (a major component supplier to the industry for decades) in the early 1970s. TRW tried to sell the hybrid system to the American Big Three back in the 1970's. Toyota took up the hybrid architecture once the TRW patents expired.

The Bronco 2.3L Ecoboost is also based off a Mazda engine generation that predates Mazda's current SkyActive engine architecture. Ford and Mazda have collaborated on vehicles since the 1970's. The Ford Courier was a Mazda design, as was Mazda's B210 a first gen Ranger.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And why it is a hybrid. It has to appear as being planet-safe.
It actually cost more money to not get the hybrid if you upgrade to the 2.0 eco boost it cost more
But has more towing too

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting little truck, TBH I might pick up a 2.0 AWD lariat for daily thrashing and hauling crap for the yard, and have my 2 door big bend for the weekend shenanigans. I put a reservation in.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree but I don’t think there’s any brand equity in ranchero honestly.

Plus at this point hardly anyone even knows what a Ford Maverick was.
So… which one is your point? 🤣
This is exactly why they should have chosen Ranchero over Maverick.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So just a sec... The hybrid system used in Ford products is homegrown and is not a shared component from Toyota. So it has no "Toyota reliability" in it. Secondly, Toyota's parallel hybrid design was first cribbed from a TRW patented parallel hybrid system developed by TRW (a major component supplier to the industry for decades) in the early 1970s. TRW tried to sell the hybrid system to the American Big Three back in the 1970's. Toyota took up the hybrid architecture once the TRW patents expired.
You’re totally right, my bad. (Man is it hard to find info about this stuff... so weird since so much is known about Bronco’s chassis LOL) Ford moved to an in-house “design” with the newest generation. Pretty interesting video about this, it seems like even though it’s in house it’s pretty blatantly the same design as before.

Sponsored

moisea

Wildtrak
First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano 2015
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No it doesn't. It's not the Federal Government, which can just print money when it needs it. It has shareholders who watch the piggy bank and the stock price reflects the financials. The Bronco is at least a year behind its revenue plan and most of Ford (and the industry) is sitting idle waiting for chips.

Building and selling ANYTHING at this moment is critical.
so building those hardtops is critical then, yeah? Ford has already stated they have thrown millions at the issue.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’re totally right, my bad. (Man is it hard to find info about this stuff... so weird since so much is known about Bronco’s chassis LOL) Ford moved to an in-house “design” with the newest generation. Pretty interesting video about this, it seems like even though it’s in house it’s pretty blatantly the same design as before.
It's just stuff I pick up reading car mags and the Net and it sticks in my brain. My understanding is Nissan sources its hybrid drivetrain from Toyota. Ford's (basically the Fusion/MKZ) has been in-house since day one.

If you are interested, a good read is on the development of GM's Voltec Gen 1 and Gen 2 drivetrain made for the Volt. That drivetrain is really a marvel of good engineering.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I agree but I don’t think there’s any brand equity in ranchero honestly. Just like every K5 blazer and Scout owner hears “NICE BRONCO” every day I would bet $1000 that every Ranchero owner hears “NICE EL CAMINO” every day too. It’s a nameplate that has been forgotten by all but Ford enthusiasts. The Maverick’s spirit of being a cheap family vehicle lives on in the new Maverick. Plus at this point hardly anyone even knows what a Ford Maverick was. Ford is done with sedans and if they’ve got the nameplate available may as well put it on something that’s pretty Maverick-y by being outside the box.
Ford and cheap they could of used the Pinto nameplate :eek:

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This looks like a nice vehicle for the intended audience.

I am not the intended audience.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford and cheap they could of used the Pinto nameplate :eek:
I'd like using the Pinto nameplate. The Pinto was a pretty good car in its era (I owned four of them). It was actually safer than all of its competition of the time.

The Pinto got a bad rap because Ralph Nader was trying to make a name for himself and the Center for Auto Safety.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug