Sponsored

Ford Performance bead lock ring - Real World review?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not arguing with you, and I understand the nuanced difference between "illegal" and "not DOT approved".

However, disclaimers like this ones below from the wheel manufacturers certainly give me pause regarding accuracy of your "not unsafe" assessment.

KMC: " Bead locks are not DOT approved and are not recommended for on road use."

Raceline: " (BEADLOCK WHEELS ARE FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY & ARE NOT DOT APPROVED FOR HIGHWAY USE) "

Ford Performance / Ford Motor Company: "Bead lock configuration is for off-road use only"

Method: "BEADLOCK WHEELS ARE DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND INTENDED FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE ONLY AND ARE NOT DOT APPROVED"

Maybe they are all just trying to protect themselves from liability, but IDK. Seems not worth the risk for my daily driver.
I was out with a guy at Merus who had some Icon wheels that he called "prelock" (I think), which I think is this InnerLock. It looks the same. He said they were also DOT approved.

https://iconvehicledynamics.com/innerlock

Last edited:

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sasquatch, Badlands optional, and Raptor are all Beadlock capable. Raptor uses a different style of ring tho IIRC. The beadlock ring for Sasquatch fits a Raptor wheel but looks wierd
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1007-DC17A
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1007-DC17B
Thanks. I like the look of the badlands better. Is there any functional differences? At ~$900 a piece or $4,500.00 for a set it will be a while, but my plans are letting my stock tires wear out then do the upgrade.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with the Method Bead Grip wheels.

I'm not sure how low you can run them as I only go down to 20psi but I suspect they will stay on way lower than that. Not sure how you rate wheels as to when the bead won't stay on. Experience I guess.

Then I just air up for the street.

https://www.methodracewheels.com/pages/bead-grip?view=beadgrip
If you're running low speed, rock crawling, you can pretty easily go down to 10-12 psi on standard wheels, and high single digits on the beach without much issue.

Nate from Dirt Lifestyle on Youtube ran down to almost zero on bead grip wheels and they held the bead. They seem to be a great alternative to full beadlock wheels for the majority of off roaders.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're running low speed, rock crawling, you can pretty easily go down to 10-12 psi on standard wheels, and high single digits on the beach without much issue.

Nate from Dirt Lifestyle on Youtube ran down to almost zero on bead grip wheels and they held the bead. They seem to be a great alternative to full beadlock wheels for the majority of off roaders.
So what is the advantage of bead lock wheels. Is it just the assurance that the bead cannot debead no matter what?

If you can go down to 10 psi on standard wheels why would you want to go lower? You run a higher risk of damaging the rim at some point if you don't have any air.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks. I like the look of the badlands better. Is there any functional differences? At ~$900 a piece or $4,500.00 for a set it will be a while, but my plans are letting my stock tires wear out then do the upgrade.
They are sold as a set of 4 for the rings

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So what is the advantage of bead lock wheels. Is it just the assurance that the bead cannot debead no matter what?

If you can go down to 10 psi on standard wheels why would you want to go lower? You run a higher risk of damaging the rim at some point if you don't have any air.
Some run them even lower than 10PSI on snow and even off road. The main advantage of a bead lock is on obstacles if you get a tire in a bind a normal bead has more of a chance of popping the bead off at the lower pressures.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A beadlocked tire will not come off the wheel. You can rip the tire to shreds and the bead will still be locked into the wheel. You can also get into a situation where the wheel will spin and not the tire a beadlock will prevent this from happening. That is mainly the issue in drag racing but I have seen it happen in the mud as well.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance bead lock ring - Real World review? 1690568949089

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't think about the super heavy modern rigs these days, think about an xj cherokee or suzuki samurai running a load range c or d tire. some rigs need to run way low pressures to get the sidewall flex.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands wheel is slightly narrower. I have both, and both have beadlocks and 1.5" spacers...note the tire on the BL is 37x12.0, the squatch has 37x12.5

20230728_143407.jpg

20230728_143335.jpg

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A beadlocked tire will not come off the wheel. You can rip the tire to shreds and the bead will still be locked into the wheel. You can also get into a situation where the wheel will spin and not the tire a beadlock will prevent this from happening. That is mainly the issue in drag racing but I have seen it happen in the mud as well.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance bead lock ring - Real World review? 20230728_143335
Also they have become standard equipment in dirt track racing. Late models use them on all 4 (cause they are special), Mods are allowed on both right sides now, and street stock uses them on the RR. Like most newer tech in racing they faced an uphill battle gaining approval 30 years ago, but now are in some cases mandated! They improve the show overall by cutting down on the "garbage yellows", and have proven completely safe if used properly

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also they have become standard equipment in dirt track racing. Late models use them on all 4 (cause they are special), Mods are allowed on both right sides now, and street stock uses them on the RR. Like most newer tech in racing they faced an uphill battle gaining approval 30 years ago, but now are in some cases mandated! They improve the show overall by cutting down on the "garbage yellows", and have proven completely safe if used properly

Yes, I forgot about the dirt track guys. Don't forget the sprint car guys as well. 😁