Sponsored

Ford Performance bead lock ring - Real World review?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not arguing with you, and I understand the nuanced difference between "illegal" and "not DOT approved".

However, disclaimers like this ones below from the wheel manufacturers certainly give me pause regarding accuracy of your "not unsafe" assessment.

KMC: " Bead locks are not DOT approved and are not recommended for on road use."

Raceline: " (BEADLOCK WHEELS ARE FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY & ARE NOT DOT APPROVED FOR HIGHWAY USE) "

Ford Performance / Ford Motor Company: "Bead lock configuration is for off-road use only"

Method: "BEADLOCK WHEELS ARE DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND INTENDED FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE ONLY AND ARE NOT DOT APPROVED"

Maybe they are all just trying to protect themselves from liability, but IDK. Seems not worth the risk for my daily driver.
That’s to satisfy the lawyers bud, and to discourage the poseurs and mall crawlers from doing something they shouldn’t.

Getting beadlocks locks installed is tricky and expensive at a shop, so these are for wheelers who plan to do some crawling on rock obstacles that can pop a bead. Although the standard Squatch rim can handle about 10psi without much fuss, going below about 12psi on rocks with the standard set up is a tad risky.

If you go out and hit rocks a decent amount, then getting the Ford rings may be a good investment along with a good compressor of course. And yes, these somewhat also-ran Goodyears can handle them just fine.

So, you won’t get a ticket, they won’t harm you, but they will be a pain to get off and there will be a cost of removing, then adding again to your new tires.

Just things to consider….

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dam it, made in China. 😂
As are the Sasquatch wheels they mate to…

Ford Bronco Ford Performance bead lock ring - Real World review? IMG_8426

They are still quality components, though. I have run my beadlocks both on and off-road 100% of the time for roughly 10,000 of my 13,000+ miles since installing them.

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And also almost everywhere else. 😩

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for resurrecting the dead.

Hey @BigMeatsBronco, @Bmadda and others running the FP bead locks…are you daily driving your rigs or minor daily with mainly trail use?

I would think drive type, tire size, how heavy the lead foot is, etc all come into play with how quick the bolts loosen. Of course doing a retorque every 3-5k miles probably negates a lot of that concern also.

Probably a silly question, but anyone locking BFG KO2’s and if so, are they a problem child?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for resurrecting the dead.

Hey @BigMeatsBronco, @Bmadda and others running the FP bead locks…are you daily driving your rigs or minor daily with mainly trail use?

I would think drive type, tire size, how heavy the lead foot is, etc all come into play with how quick the bolts loosen. Of course doing a retorque every 3-5k miles probably negates a lot of that concern also.

Probably a silly question, but anyone locking BFG KO2’s and if so, are they a problem child?
Thanx for resurrecting this thread! it's a good one!

I have the BL rings on all of my wheels now, and that includes daily and trail use. Retorque seems better after some use...I still check at each oil change, but most bolts are still torqued now. I think its just a question of crushing that bead fully, which takes time. As an example I mounted a set of 40s and wasn't ready to use them for several months, when I took them out of storage I retorqued them and got a little turn out of just about every bolt. My 37s which have seen lots of street and trail (about 12k miles), seem to hold torque just fine now, but the first couple thousand they did need a retorque. Have never had one come "finger loose", just needed a little reef to get back to 45 ft-lb (that's what I set the wrench for for torque checking...initial torque I go to say 52)

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. I like the look of the badlands better. Is there any functional differences? At ~$900 a piece or $4,500.00 for a set it will be a while, but my plans are letting my stock tires wear out then do the upgrade.
Keep in mind that the BL wheels are 8” wide (Sas 8.5”) and offset is also different. BL is 55mm offset, Sas is 30mm.

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any good forged or billet aftermarket lock rings that are compatible with the Sas beadlock-ready wheel?

$1100+ for a set of 5 from FP is ridiculous.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I torqued and lock tighted mine...stayed TiGHT so far...daily use.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Any good forged or billet aftermarket lock rings that are compatible with the Sas beadlock-ready wheel?

$1100+ for a set of 5 from FP is ridiculous.
not when you compare to 4 new beadlock wheels, then it's a deal.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided to go with the ICON Recon Pro 17”, only beadlocks approved for full time use, look great with K03’s on them.
that's a bold statement

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanx for resurrecting this thread! it's a good one!

I have the BL rings on all of my wheels now, and that includes daily and trail use. Retorque seems better after some use...I still check at each oil change, but most bolts are still torqued now. I think its just a question of crushing that bead fully, which takes time. As an example I mounted a set of 40s and wasn't ready to use them for several months, when I took them out of storage I retorqued them and got a little turn out of just about every bolt. My 37s which have seen lots of street and trail (about 12k miles), seem to hold torque just fine now, but the first couple thousand they did need a retorque. Have never had one come "finger loose", just needed a little reef to get back to 45 ft-lb (that's what I set the wrench for for torque checking...initial torque I go to say 52)
I torqued and lock tighted mine...stayed TiGHT so far...daily use.
Thank you guys, this is exactly the type of feedback I needed! Gives me some confidence going this route will work for me.

Also I had considered using blue loctite as well. Seems like damn near everything I install has it anyhow, lol.

One thing I noticed on the video posted upstream was the use of anti seize instead.
Sponsored