Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had all 20 of the nuts replaced on my 15 Edge...under extended warranty ...100.00 deductible...
If it was Ford Protect / ESP then lug nuts are not covered. Most likely your dealer just adjusted the price to make it look like you were paying your deductible. This is not necessarily bad or shady because ultimately you left happy and if they had told you "not covered" and charged you full price it would have been more than $100 anyway.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all, I'm not sure if they announced it or if someone has any info (I'm not able to find any on here or the web) but will ford be using those horrible two piece lugnuts that swell after 3 years and become a PITA to take on and off? I recently replaced the ones on my focus after I could not get 7 of them on the studs with the socket wrench, even got out the impact gun. I am curious if anyone knows the sizes and seat types for the bronco, as I would like to replace them the day I bring my bronco home as a form of preventive maintenance. Also I am curious if anyone else on here has had bad experiences with ford lug nuts.
1) Had these on my '05 Mustang GT. Tire shop went to pull an old tire off and the impact gun just spun on one lug nut. Guy came to tell me that he thought that the lug had stripped in the hub and was just spinning! WTH? Took me into the shop and I told him that it looked like the cap on the nut had been torqued off the nut. And so it was. Whew!
2) was the question answered whether Broncos have these lug nuts??
3) Don't get me started on the stupid two-piece spark plugs the Mustang came with! The ones that just snap and spin during removal and require special tools and procedures to remove! Ugh.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just had this happen on my jeep during inspection. They definitely used an impact gun and broke the cap off the acorn part of the lug nut.

I took a 1mm smaller 12 point socket and beat it on with my BFH and then was able to get it off.

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also had a terrible experience with those lug nuts. I had to chisel away some of the outer layers and hammer sockets on. Unfortunately there were like 4 I couldn't get so I had to get a half mm smaller special socket and hammer that on.

It took me like 4 days to get a fkn wheel off.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only trouble is you don't need 24 if you buy locks.
Well, you actually need 25 plus locks no? (spare is held on with lug nuts as well)

If these are actually 1-pice construction, then I'm tempted to get them, though.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, you actually need 25 plus locks no? (spare is held on with lug nuts as well)

If these are actually 1-pice construction, then I'm tempted to get them, though.
Spare is held by 3,and if one's a lock, that leaves 2. If under a cover, you don't care.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because Gorilla lugnuts are a very low quality product made to sell in bunches.

Try McGuard. Have gotten 7+ years out of these without so much as a hint of rust. Also, notice the stainless steel silver shank? That is floating so once the lug nut seats, you can still torque it down, but the lug doesnt spin against the finish of your wheel.

Have had hand-painted wheels, powder coated, factory finish, any finish... Never had a problem with cracking the protective coating which also prevents rust.

Yea, they cost you about $100-120 for a set... Cheaper than all the BS you guys are talking about dealing with in this thread!

BTW: They are an American owned company. They have some products made overseas, however, i've never had a product from them for any of my cars made overseas, they clearly label their content locations. https://mcgard.com/
I think im sold....

Between this and Ford performance right now. I never want to deal with stuck lug nuts again. Had a lug nut holding the spare rust frozen. Had to break off the stud to get the wheel down, then had the rim stuck between the nut and the back of the stud. Total mess. Thankfully was at home.

Tough-Nuts_628x300_NOV-2020.jpg

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think im sold....

Between this and Ford performance right now. I never want to deal with stuck lug nuts again. Had a lug nut holding the spare rust frozen. Had to break off the stud to get the wheel down, then had the rim stuck between the nut and the back of the stud. Total mess. Thankfully was at home.

Ford Bronco Ford two piece lugnuts on the bronco? Tough-Nuts_628x300_NOV-2020
sounds like a really frustrating situation! Have had luck with putting just a tiny dab of anti-sieze on the first thread of a spare tire retaining lug, then spinning it on. Won't back out and does just a bit to remove your rusty nuts.

Speaking of nuts, I'm getting one of these stickers of the Dutch Prime Minister sent over some friends living in A-Dam.

Ford Bronco Ford two piece lugnuts on the bronco? FB_IMG_1637379372726
Sponsored