Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all, I'm not sure if they announced it or if someone has any info (I'm not able to find any on here or the web) but will ford be using those horrible two piece lugnuts that swell after 3 years and become a PITA to take on and off? I recently replaced the ones on my focus after I could not get 7 of them on the studs with the socket wrench, even got out the impact gun. I am curious if anyone knows the sizes and seat types for the bronco, as I would like to replace them the day I bring my bronco home as a form of preventive maintenance. Also I am curious if anyone else on here has had bad experiences with ford lug nuts.
Try not tightening with an impact, I only have to replace occasionally, but I prefer them to chrome and the inevitable rust that develops on the edges!
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had this issue on my Fusion - hate the 2 piece - they wouldn't replace them under warranty - said it was wear and tear - SERIOUSLY??? Also wouldn't replace them with 1 piece - you know because that would be admitting fault/flaw in the 2 piece. So when I did my brakes/shocks I replaced with McGard 1 piece. If the Bronco comes with 2 piece - it'll be the first mod I make. My sense is with the pending class action law suit on the 2 piece they probably wouldn't.
I'll take your 2-piece nuts!

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Had those crappy things on our Fusion Sport or maybe it was the Escape.... Regardless went to get new tires and they couldn't get them off without damaging them. So they wouldn't do the tires. Had to order new lug nuts and deliver them at tire install time to get the shop to do the install.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Samsies! Always used Gorilla lugs but yep after a couple winters they start to look like hell. But then I see this on their site..
1602767730972.png

Which means they'll still rust and probably make you jump through hoops for a exchange :mad:
Because Gorilla lugnuts are a very low quality product made to sell in bunches.

Try McGuard. Have gotten 7+ years out of these without so much as a hint of rust. Also, notice the stainless steel silver shank? That is floating so once the lug nut seats, you can still torque it down, but the lug doesnt spin against the finish of your wheel.

Have had hand-painted wheels, powder coated, factory finish, any finish... Never had a problem with cracking the protective coating which also prevents rust.

Yea, they cost you about $100-120 for a set... Cheaper than all the BS you guys are talking about dealing with in this thread!

BTW: They are an American owned company. They have some products made overseas, however, i've never had a product from them for any of my cars made overseas, they clearly label their content locations. https://mcgard.com/

MCG-65357BK_ZQ[1].jpg

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This cracked me up! The entire "about" page from Gorilla's website is literally just this:
Ford Bronco Ford two piece lugnuts on the bronco? 1602779751403

source: https://www.gorilla-auto.com/about

McGuard's "About" page is actual information (it goes on for another quarter page with other product information)

Ford Bronco Ford two piece lugnuts on the bronco? 1602779791699

source: https://mcgard.com/about-mcgard/

With that much attention to their page, one can only imagine how much effort goes into their products! And why I haven't had gorilla lugs since I was about 20 years old.

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never knew about these Ford lugnut issues. I don’t know what brand I have on my van, but the chrome nuts still look brand new and the chrome Outlaws are rusted to crap. Looks like something I need to think of replacing.

i do have a couple impacts and I do use them. Makes tire removal/install so much easier. Great if you are a constant fiddler. For install I hand tighten then use the impact on setting one, tighten in star pattern then go to setting 2 and hit em each for 1 second. Have never had an issue.

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You mean these? What a pain. Broke my ratchet trying to get them off. Dealership had used an impact wrench to put them back on
Ford Bronco Ford two piece lugnuts on the bronco? 1602779791699
Harbor Freight? :sneaky:

Sponsored

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Try not tightening with an impact, I only have to replace occasionally, but I prefer them to chrome and the inevitable rust that develops on the edges!
Your dealer will have an 18 year old high school drop out blast the shit out of these with an impact wrench to 200lb ft.

I think wheels should be tightened by hand with a torque wrench, but impact saves time.

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all, I'm not sure if they announced it or if someone has any info (I'm not able to find any on here or the web) but will ford be using those horrible two piece lugnuts that swell after 3 years and become a PITA to take on and off? I recently replaced the ones on my focus after I could not get 7 of them on the studs with the socket wrench, even got out the impact gun. I am curious if anyone knows the sizes and seat types for the bronco, as I would like to replace them the day I bring my bronco home as a form of preventive maintenance. Also I am curious if anyone else on here has had bad experiences with ford lug nuts.
My 2017 Mustang came with solid lug nuts.

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree. Also get a good 6pt socket that fits your lugs perfectly. Some of the cheap stuff will be loose and start to deform your lug nut corners.
What size socket are the Lug Nuts ?

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had all 20 of the nuts replaced on my 15 Edge...under extended warranty ...100.00 deductible...
Sponsored