Sponsored

Frame mounted receiver hitch - anyone install one?

Jthompson258

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone installed a frame mounted receiver hitch on 21+ Bronco if so which one brand name part number. Thanks.
Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To my knowledge, nobody makes such a hitch. There's really no way to mount it to the frame. The Raptor has extra bracing attached between the bumper and the frame, but that's because they moved the muffler to a different location, and it's still not truly frame-mounted...

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone installed a frame mounted receiver hitch on 21+ Bronco if so which one brand name part number. Thanks.
At least 2 of them. Draw tight clears the tire if your concerned you can’t get the hitch over the ball with a bigger tire.
I installed the Kurt. Easy but you’re going to need a long torque wrench.
both listed here but shop around for price
https://www.etrailer.com/search/ford+bronco+trailer+hitch+receiver
https://www.etrailer.com/search/ford+bronco+trailer+hitch+receiver

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
They all install to the frame crossmember. Installation time is 10 minutes/1 beer. Should cost about $100. Don't remove the rear bumper as Ford tells you, totally unnecessary.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, you guys are talking about the little bolt-on hitch that goes on the crossmember, like the factory hitch. My impression is that the OP was asking about a "classic" frame-mounted hitch like this one, which I don't think anyone makes…

Ford Bronco Frame mounted receiver hitch - anyone install one? IMG_9841

But sure, the Curt hitch mounts to the "frame"... 🫤

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, you guys are talking about the little bolt-on hitch that goes on the crossmember, like the factory hitch. My impression is that the OP was asking about a "classic" frame-mounted hitch like this one, which I don't think anyone makes…

Ford Bronco Frame mounted receiver hitch - anyone install one? IMG_9841

But sure, the Curt hitch mounts to the "frame"... 🫤
I was wondering the same thing, however I don't see that being superior in anyway, because that is simply acting as a crossmember, and would be attached to the same frame rails (bolted to/instead of welded on).

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was wondering the same thing, however I don't see that being superior in anyway, because that is simply acting as a crossmember, and would be attached to the same frame rails (bolted to/instead of welded on).
I just wonder if the aftermarket hitches are made of heavier stock, so more resistant to twisting forward under braking than the Bronco’s crossmember. Gotta be something keeping the Bronco’s tow rating so pathetically low. The fact that Braptor gets another 1,000 lbs. with just a couple of little diagonal braces added makes me suspicious.

It’s ridiculous that a Honda Pilot tows more than the Bronco. And the new 4-runner is rated for 6000 lbs.!

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just wonder if the aftermarket hitches are made of heavier stock, so more resistant to twisting forward under braking than the Bronco’s crossmember. Gotta be something keeping the Bronco’s tow rating so pathetically low. The fact that Braptor gets another 1,000 lbs. with just a couple of little diagonal braces added makes me suspicious.

It’s ridiculous that a Honda Pilot tows more than the Bronco. And the new 4-runner is rated for 6000 lbs.!
If it was as simple as a thicker crossmember, it would be a simple and cheap fix to up its poor tow rating, that is why I don't think that type of hitch would solve the problem. And then even with the braces, the Braptors tow rating is still pathetic and way below the Ranger, leads me to believe this is just about completely a suspension related problem.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With a 3500lb tow rating, the hitch that is connected to the cross member is more than adequate. Go with a quality known manufacture and you'll be fine.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When the aftermarket makes one for the new Rangers, it "might" work on the Bronco.

But that will not increase the Tow Limit, as that's currently dictated by the Rear Suspension, as it's configured for more Off Road Articulation than Towing.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And the new 4-runner is rated for 6000 lbs.!
Is this where we all take a shot? I feel like we'll be drunk pretty quickly here if this is our new game :ROFLMAO:

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the tow rating is low because of the soft suspension...could be why the factory tow package costs $595 and was unavailable when I ordered my 22 because of the microprocessor to control trailer sway via the ABS.
Or some such shit.
Sponsored