Sponsored

Frames on frameless windows with soft top?

CJ428JD

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang fastbacks 65,69,2012 /JKU/67 Beaumont
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anyone else notice that with the “frameless” windows there appears to be a frame with the soft top removed?
The JK is similar and with the rollbar and frame combined it really takes away from the open air feeling.
Would love to see a video on top functions...
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 2981247E-768F-4AA3-A43B-A9C936263652
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? A17F72C2-7E1B-462C-8B85-D53A84ABA776
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think the window frame is any different from the hard top to soft top. There has to be a channel for the window to roll up in to or you would have major leaks.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You want to compare to the JL soft top not JK. It has the newer slide down top that will be exactly likt the Broncos twill top.

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The photos are CGI renderings (I believe), representative of actual, but not 100% accurate. With top off and windows down you will have your open air experience. I imagine what the pics are showing is the seal for when the windows are in full up position.

OP
OP

CJ428JD

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You want to compare to the JL soft top not JK. It has the newer slide down top that will be exactly likt the Broncos twill top.
I think the JL leaves a frame for the soft top too? On top of the door frame.
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 2C27B4C2-62F9-4594-9FFA-E54B7A937A9C

Sponsored
OP
OP

CJ428JD

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think the window frame is any different from the hard top to soft top. There has to be a channel for the window to roll up in to or you would have major leaks.
Yes but in car convertible tops the window seal and frame are attached to the top and fold back. On the Jeep their is a frame for the soft top that the door seals to that stays in place when you fold the top back. (You bolt this frame on when you install the soft top and then the soft top “seals” to it.

OP
OP

CJ428JD

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is the Jeep JK soft top “extra” frame being installed:
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 38547AE0-15D0-4398-8C7D-E16128C65DC1

vs a true convertible top where the frame for the door/window seals retract with the top.
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 0886498C-15F3-4E12-BB14-104E2D55F55E

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes but in car convertible tops the window seal and frame are attached to the top and fold back. On the Jeep their is a frame for the soft top that the door seals to that stays in place when you fold the top back. (You bolt this frame on when you install the soft top and then the soft top “seals” to it.
Normal convertibles also don't have a full roll cage that is going to be there regardless, so not sure how you'd avoid this.

JohnnyK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the Jeep they're called door surrounds (you install them on the roll bars when you put your soft top on) which gives a place for the top of the framed doors weather stripping to set into, they also have a rain gutter across the top. It is a pretty open air feel though with out the top and door surrounds, there's just the tube of the roll bar.

The Bronco looks like it has the window channels built in to the B pillar, windshield frame and the roll bar area and stays the same no matter what configuration you have (hard top, soft top, no top). They re going to have to have that roll bar cage reinforcement there no matter what. Pretty cool that they don't have the sport bar (what Jeep has) across the middle and it's completely open, especially on the four door.

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If all you care about is open air driving, why do you want a 4X4? The people actually going to use the truck for it's intended purpose appreciate the engineering like a rollbar. Sounds like a seabring convertible is really what half the people actually need.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CJ428JD

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
thanks I understand the difference...
just hoping Ford does. I was looking forward to an improved frameless design (original rumour was rollbar incorporated the door/window seals). Hoping the soft top doesn’t leave extra plastic behind when folded.
Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 08A8046E-CAF2-41B3-90AF-FAA50CBBF22B

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If all you care about is open air driving, why do you want a 4X4? The people actually going to use the truck for it's intended purpose appreciate the engineering like a rollbar. Sounds like a seabring convertible is really what half the people actually need.
Didn't know people aren't allowed to want an SUV + open air driving. Guess I'll cancel my reservation now....

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford does understand the difference - even with that channel in place, Bronco still has frameless doors, as TwoTone points out.

If B&P CGI is correct, I won't be losing a single minute of sleep over this. I don't mind how it looks, and more importantly, I highly doubt it will impede view lines any worse than with the top up, nor diminish the open-air experience any.

Ford Bronco Frames on frameless windows with soft top? 1604896996654

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are, but this rig is built for extreme off road from a production vehicle. This requires certain manufacturing standards.
Sponsored