Sponsored

Get an actual GPS unit or will my phone with onX Offroad work?

Grift3r

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice from more experienced people. Just getting into offroading and stuff, havent done anything too advanced but looking to go into some deeper areas. My question is, should I get an actual GPS unit or will my phone with onX Offroad work? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Using your phone with perferred mapping software is the way to go unless you are bumping up to a Lowrance system ($$$$).

I have an Android running Gaiagps when in the woods/mountains/desert. For city navigation I use google maps.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

you should be fine as long as you have cell service. the "GPS" on our phones is done by triangulating positions between towers. No towers, no signal, no GPS. I've driven down roads in the middle of know where and have had my GPS drop. hand held GPS, or vehicle mounted GPS would be a good backup.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you should be fine as long as you have cell service. the "GPS" on our phones is done by triangulating positions between towers. No towers, no signal, no GPS. I've driven down roads in the middle of know where and have had my GPS drop. hand held GPS, or vehicle mounted GPS would be a good backup.

Sponsored

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Using your phone with perferred mapping software is the way to go unless you are bumping up to a Lowrance system ($$$$).

I have an Android running Gaiagps when in the woods/mountains/desert. For city navigation I use google maps.
I second Gaia + phone, with offline maps.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I were one to go offroad and in places with little to no cell service I would pick up the Garmin Montana 700i. you can load maps on it for trails, and it has satellite messaging and is a proven device that can get wet. It also supports an external antenna for GPC / Irridum which can be great if you will be in the thick of some cliffs or woods. Overall a much better device for GPC than a persons phone, and shockingly, at a lower price than most phones.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I were one to go offroad and in places with little to no cell service I would pick up the Garmin Montana 700i. you can load maps on it for trails, and it has satellite messaging and is a proven device that can get wet. It also supports an external antenna for GPC / Irridum which can be great if you will be in the thick of some cliffs or woods. Overall a much better device for GPC than a persons phone, and shockingly, at a lower price than most phones.
This is a good point. I carry a Garmin inReach for Sat comms, I am frequently in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage or people.

Also paper maps and a compass...

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless cell phone GPS technology has changed in the last 30 minutes, yes, yes that is how it works. I'm in the field and my brother was involved with communication equipment for the marines.
practically every smart phone ever made has actual GPS receivers, you won't be able to pull up a map without cell phone service but you should be able to get your GPS coordinates

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless cell phone GPS technology has changed in the last 30 minutes, yes, yes that is how it works. I'm in the field and my brother was involved with communication equipment for the marines.
You are referring to A-GPS, which uses cell tower triangulation to initially calculate your location quicker. It still ultimately utilizes satellites once it gets a lock.

Btw, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I know my shit!

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are referring to A-GPS, which uses cell tower triangulation to initially calculate your location quicker. It still ultimately utilizes satellites once it gets a lock.

Btw, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I know my shit!
Yea I was just going to correct myself, it all comes down to the hardware in the phone as not all are equal. I was at a holiday express 2 weeks ago in Nashville.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
practically every smart phone ever made has actual GPS receivers, you won't be able to pull up a map without cell phone service but you should be able to get your GPS coordinates
He looks at his phone and disagrees with you...
Ford Bronco Get an actual GPS unit or will my phone with onX Offroad work? 1665520244392

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just spent a week elk hunting in the middle of Nevada with zero cell service on a daily basis while we were in the field. I used my IPhone with the GAIA GPS App and downloaded the different map layers of the area I was hunting prior to leaving. I used the phone independently while hiking and also connected it to Bronco screen via CarPlay and it worked great while driving. I also pack paper maps so I can easily find different areas to explore, then use GAIA to really zero in and also help navigate once within the paper map area I’m targeting.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice from more experienced people. Just getting into offroading and stuff, havent done anything too advanced but looking to go into some deeper areas. My question is, should I get an actual GPS unit or will my phone with onX Offroad work? Thanks in advance!
I think the phone will do perfectly fine. Dont skimp on the mount though, last thing you need if for your phone to come tumbling down.
Sponsored