Sponsored

Get an actual GPS unit or will my phone with onX Offroad work?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the phone will do perfectly fine. Dont skimp on the mount though, last thing you need if for your phone to come tumbling down.
No need for a mount, both gaiagps and onX offroad are compatible with Android Auto and Carplay so boom small mobile screen becomes 8"/12" screen. That said Gaiagps isn't a full featured app on Android Auto, but you can use the app on phone when connected unlike google maps.
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been using Gaia download the maps for sure. I e also found when you get to places with weak or no cell service I just off the cell signal , Bluetooth and wifi. It seems to work better.

Reactions: rws

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most guys around here in the north east use gaia (sp?) on an iphone.

if you want to spend a little get a gmrs. A handheld works for about 1/2 mile here in the woods. A build in permanant one gives you a couple miles.

Reactions: rws

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No need for a mount, both gaiagps and onX offroad are compatible with Android Auto and Carplay so boom small mobile screen becomes 8"/12" screen. That said Gaiagps isn't a full featured app on Android Auto, but you can use the app on phone when connected unlike google maps.
I'm stuck in the past. Sorry. Your right.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What features are you missing in Android Auto? It's been great for me and no features that I use are missing?

P.S. does yours freeze up when going into reverse or when changing between apps? Basically anytime the screen leaves Gaia and going back. I've been putting my phone in power save mode and having Android Auto, Gaia, and my music app as apps that are usable and the freezing stopped.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What features are you missing in Android Auto? It's been great for me and no features that I use are missing?

P.S. does yours freeze up when going into reverse or when changing between apps? Basically anytime the screen leaves Gaia and going back. I've been putting my phone in power save mode and having Android Auto, Gaia, and my music app as apps that are usable and the freezing stopped.
Within Gaiagps, not all the folder organization options, show/hide items are what I have noticed. Same with Google maps not all routing features available.

Yeah I had an issue with a blank map after going between Gaia and Pandora. Also about after and hour of android auto I typically get a wireless connectivity message, it will auto reconnect then annoyingly repeat at random intervals until I plug in.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I prefer Gaia GPS in Apple CarPlay on my 12” screen, because I don’t lose my menu options at the bottom in landscape mode. Unless things have changed recently, I can’t say the same thing about OnX, which appears to be primarily Portrait oriented.

That’s a shame, really, because I understand the OnX Hunt software is excellent.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I concur with having a stand alone gps unit with Inreach on the Iridium constellation. The satellite communications far outweigh the actual GPS if there was an emergency. You can never have too many options for communication. I just about spent the night on a mountain top after my cell phone went dead that I was using for GPS. While I would have been fine, I didn't have the ability to let my wife know that I was going to be okay. The worst feeling at that time was knowing that she was going to worry when I didn't come home. Get the Inreach for those that love you...
Sponsored