Sponsored

GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions)

First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes AMG GT, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After much research, I landed on the GoRhino DSS's for my FE because of the rock rail rating, and have a few words of advice / takeaways that you should consider! I like lists, so here you go, in no particular order...

1. The rails are not mounted as solidly as the OEM rock rails. The OEM rock rails for instance connect to the body at two primary points.... one of those points being a secondary upper mounting bracket.

2. The rails are a beast to install! If at all possible, have an extra set of hands, or preferably two, to help with holding the rails in place, etc.

3. I used XPEL's Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit to cover the pinch weld area before installing the mounting brackets/rails, and it made all the difference (see photos). If you go this route, buy three strips. Each of the two pinch weld areas is ~74" long, but I applied the film from the middle of the rear mounting bracket area to where the front fender attaches. I then used the spare third role to complete the the area from middle of the mounting point to the rear (this way, the mounting bracket secures and hides the rear extension).

4. As other threads have mentioned, make sure you run one of the allen bolts into the L-brackets to make sure the threads are okay for later installation. Funny enough, after about 3-4 hours of installation (removing the OEM rock rails and installing these) I ran into issues with the last L-bracket nut threads. Brutal!

5. The hardest part of the installation was screwing the allen bolts into the L-brackets in the rails. If you use your fingers to pull the L-brackets closer toward the mounting bracket, the holes in the L-bracket sit too low, so you have to pull the bracket toward you AND up, which beat the heck out me. THEN I found the perfect workaround! I used a fishing magnet wrapped in a towel to set the L-brackets in place so I could focus on screwing the bolts in. If there's one thing that you do... get the magnet! Thank me later!

6. Lastly, my take on the steps/rock rails.
A. They look great! They have no visible defects, and sit high!
B. I do have concerns about the rails being even to or just slightly (centimeter(s)) lower than the bottom of the mounting brackets. The last thing anyone wants is to be in a situation where you have to rely on them, just to get caught on a bracket.
C. I'm about 280 pounds, and the steps don't show any noticeable flexing when I put my full weight on them.
D. My girlfriend is 5'2 and loves the steps! They're a lifesaver for her!
E. I'm 5'10, however, and find them too close to the floor of the Bronco... which makes them awkward to use when entering the cabin. I end up stepping on them, crouching down, and fumbling to take a mini step into the cabin. I'll accept it for the protection, but can't help but to wonder if I would have enjoyed the Dominator Extreme D1s more (not rock rails).

Hope this helps!!!

Rock Rails Removed and Before XPEL
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Before XPEL Tape

After XPEL
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) After XPEL

View Showing How Far Out The Rails Extend
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Photo Dec 06, 5 25 32 PM

Top Down View
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Straight Down

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Photo Dec 06, 5 25 17 PM
Sponsored

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got these steps delivered for my 4 door, but the mounting brackets are backordered everywhere for 30 days. Lame. The Panda Motorworks install video made it look fairly easy with two people.

Do you have a side pic like the first one with the steps installed?

VehiChase

First Edition
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco (bought 99), 14 Xterra, 89 Daytona
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

After much research, I landed on the GoRhino DSS's for my FE because of the rock rail rating, and have a few words of advice / takeaways that you should consider! I like lists, so here you go, in no particular order...

1. The rails are not mounted as solidly as the OEM rock rails. The OEM rock rails for instance connect to the body at two primary points.... one of those points being a secondary upper mounting bracket.

2. The rails are a beast to install! If at all possible, have an extra set of hands, or preferably two, to help with holding the rails in place, etc.

3. I used XPEL's Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit to cover the pinch weld area before installing the mounting brackets/rails, and it made all the difference (see photos). If you go this route, buy three strips. Each of the two pinch weld areas is ~74" long, but I applied the film from the middle of the rear mounting bracket area to where the front fender attaches. I then used the spare third role to complete the the area from middle of the mounting point to the rear (this way, the mounting bracket secures and hides the rear extension).

4. As other threads have mentioned, make sure you run one of the allen bolts into the L-brackets to make sure the threads are okay for later installation. Funny enough, after about 3-4 hours of installation (removing the OEM rock rails and installing these) I ran into issues with the last L-bracket nut threads. Brutal!

5. The hardest part of the installation was screwing the allen bolts into the L-brackets in the rails. If you use your fingers to pull the L-brackets closer toward the mounting bracket, the holes in the L-bracket sit too low, so you have to pull the bracket toward you AND up, which beat the heck out me. THEN I found the perfect workaround! I used a fishing magnet wrapped in a towel to set the L-brackets in place so I could focus on screwing the bolts in. If there's one thing that you do... get the magnet! Thank me later!

6. Lastly, my take on the steps/rock rails.
A. They look great! They have no visible defects, and sit high!
B. I do have concerns about the rails being even to or just slightly (centimeter(s)) lower than the bottom of the mounting brackets. The last thing anyone wants is to be in a situation where you have to rely on them, just to get caught on a bracket.
C. I'm about 280 pounds, and the steps don't show any noticeable flexing when I put my full weight on them.
D. My girlfriend is 5'2 and loves the steps! They're a lifesaver for her!
E. I'm 5'10, however, and find them too close to the floor of the Bronco... which makes them awkward to use when entering the cabin. I end up stepping on them, crouching down, and fumbling to take a mini step into the cabin. I'll accept it for the protection, but can't help but to wonder if I would have enjoyed the Dominator Extreme D1s more (not rock rails).

Hope this helps!!!

Rock Rails Removed and Before XPEL
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Photo Dec 06, 5 25 17 PM

After XPEL

View Showing How Far Out The Rails Extend

Top Down View

strangely enough I just installed these exact rails on my LB FE this weekend … and you are right.. aligning that L-Bracket is not fun… I was holding up one side of the rail with my knee and borrowed the wife to help hold up the bracket - brutal!
wish I thought about adding the film- but the thought of taking them back off is a no for me haha
At least my kids enjoyed helping me for at least 4 min of the install haha
Enjoy!
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) A7E79376-64AF-45DB-A0DE-116B1E49FB7C
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) D0A54370-F3AC-4AD9-BDD9-6891E20395EC

OP
OP
SixFathimsDeep
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've got these steps delivered for my 4 door, but the mounting brackets are backordered everywhere for 30 days. Lame. The Panda Motorworks install video made it look fairly easy with two people.

Do you have a side pic like the first one with the steps installed?
That's a bummer on the brackets! Sorry to hear. Here's a side pic. Happy to take a closer pic if that doesn't help.

Side View.jpg

OP
OP
SixFathimsDeep
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
strangely enough I just installed these exact rails on my LB FE this weekend … and you are right.. aligning that L-Bracket is not fun… I was holding up one side of the rail with my knee and borrowed the wife to help hold up the bracket - brutal!
wish I thought about adding the film- but the thought of taking them back off is a no for me haha
Enjoy!
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Side View
Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Side View
Four minutes isn't bad! I was surprised my GF helped from beginning to end. I tried not to traumatize her by criticizing her flashlight placement, or when I asked for certain tools (I still carry the trauma) and it paid off, hahaha. I think she might be a keeper! Regarding the mounting of the steps, we struggled for about 20-30 minutes on getting the first allen bolt in place before I took a step back and came up with the magnet idea. Every L-bracket bolt after that took me 30 seconds to put in, but I still wouldn't do it over again any time soon.

Sponsored

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Enjoy!
Do you have a finished picture showing the difference without the xpel?

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a bummer on the brackets! Sorry to hear. Here's a side pic. Happy to take a closer pic if that doesn't help.

Thanks. When you added the XPEL did you just fold the excess under the bottom? And just push the bolt holes out?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Great job & thanks for sharing!

fraserjr

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Its Brawnco

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Raptor, 1978 F100, 2016 Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Mitch Panda Motorworks do you guys have the DSS in stock and ready to ship? Today's my blend date and I ordered from GoRhino! last week but they're on backorder

Sponsored

VehiChase

First Edition
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco (bought 99), 14 Xterra, 89 Daytona
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you have a finished picture showing the difference without the xpel?
Here you go! Sorry took me a couple days - every time I go outside it was too dark for a picture. For me- I am happy with what the steps “cover up”….

85BCBDC0-ED2C-4338-898B-B32B568DAC96.jpeg

A531EB32-D9EC-4556-BF44-50DF08BBFBE9.jpeg

FEC64B3B-7682-46DC-994F-783BAE47D55F.jpeg

095F8384-65BA-4BC8-9E87-8CF4D8120551.jpeg

OP
OP
SixFathimsDeep
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks. When you added the XPEL did you just fold the excess under the bottom? And just push the bolt holes out?
Great question! I thought about folding it under, but wanted to avoid it collecting water. I ended up affixing it on one side, pressing it into the pinch weld curve. I probably should have kept it flush, but didn't want any blue showing, so I left a tiny bit (fractions of a centimeter) hanging off.

As for the holes, I just pushed a Phillips head screwdriver through from the outside in. Was much easier than I expected.

Under.jpg

Xpel.jpg

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great question! I thought about folding it under, but wanted to avoid it collecting water. I ended up affixing it on one side, pressing it into the pinch weld curve. I probably should have kept it flush, but didn't want any blue showing, so I left a tiny bit (fractions of a centimeter) hanging off.

As for the holes, I just pushed a Phillips head screwdriver through from the outside in. Was much easier than I expected.

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Xpel

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) Xpel
Thanks! This is really helpful. I have these sliders and 1 roll of the door sill guard (for the door sill). Guess I’ll be buying 3 more rolls and a magnet !

hammer_head

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great, thanks for posting. I'm all getting ready to install mine and came across this thread, my question is about the protection film to cover the pinch weld area is why? It sounds smart for providing a buffer between the new install and the body, but when you said it made all the difference I was starting to think it may be for another reason? That also got me wondering if it was to help something else in which case, maybe I can use a different product vs the XPEL. Just hoping for some insight on why you decided to use that. Thanks!

Reactions: R11
OP
OP
SixFathimsDeep
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is great, thanks for posting. I'm all getting ready to install mine and came across this thread, my question is about the protection film to cover the pinch weld area is why? It sounds smart for providing a buffer between the new install and the body, but when you said it made all the difference I was starting to think it may be for another reason? That also got me wondering if it was to help something else in which case, maybe I can use a different product vs the XPEL. Just hoping for some insight on why you decided to use that. Thanks!
Hi @hammer_head, it made all the difference in hiding the ugly pinch weldind.
Hey @hammer_head, the black protection film does protect that small portion of the pinch weld from rocks and the DSS's, but my main reason for applying it was to hide the pinch weld visually. I'm not a fan of how that area looks bare (looks unfinished), so the black tape covers it and blends it in with the rest of the underbody. It really makes a big difference in person. Hope that helps!
Sponsored