GVWR. What is it and what does it mean?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was skeptical that this was anything other than psuedo crash test legal stuff before a car can roll off the factory. But is it? is this the limit of the cars weight capacity before it fails or falls over?

Is it alot more than the jeep? should people be worried that in the future their overland/whatever rigs wont be possible with aftermarket?

Is this FACTORY only or does it mean down the road the bronco literally cannot handle extra weight? how do these numbers compare to the jeep? are they the same but jeep just doesnt offer roof stuff from the factory?

Only asking because im planning on doing offroad trips and if the vehicle is just not cut out for carrying extra gear i might have to skip until they fix it
Sponsored

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GVDR doesn't mean a thing. Did you just make it up?

There is something called GVWR though... Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll just leave this here...

Scrub to 1:16 minute mark if you don’t want to watch the whole thing. Sounds like the number we all care about is Gross Combined Weight Rating instead of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was skeptical that this was anything other than psuedo crash test legal stuff before a car can roll off the factory. But is it? is this the limit of the cars weight capacity before it fails or falls over?

Is it alot more than the jeep? should people be worried that in the future their overland/whatever rigs wont be possible with aftermarket?

Is this FACTORY only or does it mean down the road the bronco literally cannot handle extra weight? how do these numbers compare to the jeep? are they the same but jeep just doesnt offer roof stuff from the factory
It means the manufacturer verified through testing and confirmation that the vehicle can operate safely up-to the given weight, which includes a full compliment of adult passengers, fuel and cargo. I'm sure there's an NTSB egg-head that can tell you specifically what the safety parameters are, but that's not me.

It's also a way of mitigating manufacturer liability in the event there is an accident and the operator overloaded their vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is important. It’s the max weight your vehicle can handle before the engineered expectations on performance can significantly worsen. This includes braking, acceleration, handling, etc.

I don’t know if it’s enforced on non-commercial vehicles though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is important. It’s the max weight your vehicle can handle before the engineered expectations on performance can fail or significantly worsen. This includes braking, acceleration, handling, etc.

I don’t know if it’s enforced on non-commercial vehicles though.
so its not failure points.

its just , for example , legalism so when you go on the website and look at "Brake performance" those numbers will match with your car that is loaded to the max limit? stuff like that?

its not actual failure of the truck?

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
so its not failure points.

its just , for example , legalism so when you go on the website and look at "Brake performance" those numbers will match with your car that is loaded to the max limit? stuff like that?

its not actual failure of the truck?
Yes I think your explanation is more accurate. I used the word fail a little too loosely in my statement. I’ll update my post.

My first job required us to know vehicle weight rules pretty well to be TXDOT compliant. They may have tried to scare us a little too much though lol. Oil and gas HSE managers do that a lot.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if thats the case i dont know why ford doesnt just have a red popup when you add certain parts saying "this will lower the performance of the vehicle below stated performance on the website"

I guess it has to be some government thing

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this FACTORY only or does it mean down the road the bronco literally cannot handle extra weight? how do these numbers compare to the jeep? are they the same but jeep just doesnt offer roof stuff from the factory?

Only asking because im planning on doing offroad trips and if the vehicle is just not cut out for carrying extra gear i might have to skip until they fix it
I used to be self employed and if I drove a truck or any vehicle over 4k pounds, I could accelarate the depreciation. It is important to anyone who owns their own business so they will know if they can write the Bronco off their taxes.

Sponsored

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ll just leave this here...

Scrub to 1:16 minute mark if you don’t want to watch the whole thing. Sounds like the number we all care about is Gross Combined Weight Rating instead of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
GCWR only matters if you are towing...and if you are towing, you need to look at GCWR, tow rating and GVWR.

I think most people need to be concerned with GVWR, not GCWR. All that overlanding gear adds weight, bigger tires? weight. skid plates, rock rails, steel bumpers? weight.

If you are not towing, gross combined weight rating is not the number you need.

if thats the case i dont know why ford doesnt just have a red popup when you add certain parts saying "this will lower the performance of the vehicle below stated performance on the website"

I guess it has to be some government thing
Just about every option and accessory you add adds weight but that GVWR stays the same.

I've seen full size trucks that putting a family of four in (2 parents with 2 teenagers) would put you over GVWR...

Last edited:

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The GVWR is very important. The suspension, axles, transmission, engine, brakes and even tire size are all designed around a max rating. Any changes you do to the vehicle will effect the rating. For example, if you opt for the steal bumpers, you have less GVWR, because the heavier bumpers are taking up some of that weight.

When you receive the Bronco it will have the GVWR and axle weight rating on the door panel. You need to make sure you stay within those numbers. Even if you alter the vehicle to make it handle more, like stiffer springs, bigger brakes, or regearing the axles, you have to abide by those numbers. If you don't, are putting your self and others at risk on the road. Also, you are making yourself liable if anything happens.

GCVW is the total weight of vehicle, tow vehicle, and everything in each. You can not tow at the vehicles max capacity while maxing out the vehicles GVWR. usually the max tow capacity only allows for a driver and a passenger in the vehicle. So you can't have a roof top tent and loaded cargo space, and tow 3500lbs in the Bronco.

All the weight and towing numbers are very important to know and understand. Usually if you are not towing, there is plenty of room in the GVWR to load up the vehicle with goodies. My guess is Ford doesn't want to have a repeat of the Bronco II with tip overs. So they are not selling anything Broncos top heavy.

Last, if you do overload your vehicle and you get pulled over, cop will definitely check your door jam for the max payloads and towing capacity. Especially if you are towing, you it is your obligation to be within the specced numbers.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The GVWR is very important. The suspension, axles, transmission, engine, brakes and even tire size are all designed around a max rating. Any changes you do to the vehicle will effect the rating. For example, if you opt for the steal bumpers, you have less GVWR, because the heavier bumpers are taking up some of that weight.

When you receive the Bronco it will have the GVWR and axle weight rating on the door panel. You need to make sure you stay within those numbers. Even if you alter the vehicle to make it handle more, like stiffer springs, bigger brakes, or regearing the axles, you have to abide by those numbers. If you don't, are putting your self and others at risk on the road. Also, you are making yourself liable if anything happens.

GCVW is the total weight of vehicle, tow vehicle, and everything in each. You can not tow at the vehicles max capacity while maxing out the vehicles GVWR. usually the max tow capacity only allows for a driver and a passenger in the vehicle. So you can't have a roof top tent and loaded cargo space, and tow 3500lbs in the Bronco.

All the weight and towing numbers are very important to know and understand. Usually if you are not towing, there is plenty of room in the GVWR to load up the vehicle with goodies. My guess is Ford doesn't want to have a repeat of the Bronco II with tip overs. So they are not selling anything Broncos top heavy.

Last, if you do overload your vehicle and you get pulled over, cop will definitely check your door jam for the max payloads and towing capacity. Especially if you are towing, you it is your obligation to be within the specced numbers.
how is the cop going to weigh the vehicle