Sponsored

Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling)

PorpoiseBlue

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramine
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I swear I have seen something similar posted before, but I can not seem to find it again.

I have been trying to track down some wind whistling in my 4dr Bronco and decided to pull out the flashlight trick.
I found that in some sections the hardtop weatherstripping is not even making contact. I have everything clamped down.
Front Passenger:
Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) PXL_20230911_004922166.PORTRAIT

Rear Passenger:
Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) PXL_20230911_004933390.PORTRAIT

Rear Driver:
Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) PXL_20230911_005002869.PORTRAIT

Is there a known way to fix this? Or should I take it up with Ford?
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ya and people wonder why some of complain about horrible wind noise with the hardtop. Couldn’t / wouldn’t do anything about it on mine so I just replaced it with a Trektop. So much happier.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I swear I have seen something similar posted before, but I can not seem to find it again.

I have been trying to track down some wind whistling in my 4dr Bronco and decided to pull out the flashlight trick.
I found that in some sections the hardtop weatherstripping is not even making contact. I have everything clamped down.
Front Passenger:
PXL_20230911_004922166.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rear Passenger:
PXL_20230911_004933390.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rear Driver:
PXL_20230911_005002869.PORTRAIT.jpg

Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this hardtop whistle concern? Thank you!

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have that issue on my 2nd row panel and I thought it was from installing the jtops as it sits under the bracket that the 2nd row panel attaches to. Now I'm thinking it has always been like that!

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this hardtop whistle concern? Thank you!
You didnt do a thing for me. After several trips to my dealer with no progress I took it upon myself to add weatherstripping.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PorpoiseBlue

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramine
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have that issue on my 2nd row panel and I thought it was from installing the jtops as it sits under the bracket that the 2nd row panel attaches to. Now I'm thinking it has always been like that!
Huh this is actually a very interesting point. I also have a JTop bimini installed.

I will have to remove it to see if the gap disappears

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh this is actually a very interesting point. I also have a JTop bimini installed.

I will have to remove it to see if the gap disappears
Thanks for saving me the work! Let me know how it turns out!

Somehow the gap doesn't leak after spraying water directly at it, so I will probably just ignore it or add some additional weather stripping.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reactions: cgv
OP
OP

PorpoiseBlue

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramine
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for saving me the work! Let me know how it turns out!

Somehow the gap doesn't leak after spraying water directly at it, so I will probably just ignore it or add some additional weather stripping.
Took sometime to remove the Jtop and the gap did disappear. It makes snse considering the Jtop has a plate that goes underneath the bracket the hardtop clamps to and raises it a few milimeters.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took sometime to remove the Jtop and the gap did disappear. It makes snse considering the Jtop has a plate that goes underneath the bracket the hardtop clamps to and raises it a few milimeters.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this!
@JTopsUSA any thoughts on how to get rid of these gaps when the hard top is installed over your bimini top?

Sponsored

Triton

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This has peaked my interest as well. I have a sun shade and noticed after putting my hard top on for the winter that I do get water though the gap between the roll bar and the hard top weatherstripping. I’ll take a look tomorrow morning for a gap but sure there will be one since the jtop goes underneath the factory bracket.

Edit:

This morning I took a few pics of where the front-panel meets the windshield, no gap; where the front and mid panel meet which is where the bracket is that the sunshade goes under, minor gap; and where the mid-panel meets the shell, no gap.

I have only noticed water getting in when using a pressure washer or when washing with a hose and spraying directly at the gap. Wouldn’t probably notice it from rain.

In the end it’s not a terrible issue but is a bit of an oversight from jtops, though an easily overlooked one and I can’t really fault them for it. The sun shade is still going to stay on and next time I have the top off I’ll look at a way to solve the water getting through the small gap issue.

Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) IMG_1237

Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) IMG_1236

Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) IMG_1238

Last edited:

MPN22BroncoOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Mikhail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ohh shit

Front Passenger:
Ford Bronco Hardtop Weatherstripping Gaps (causing wind noise / whistling) IMG_1238

Rear Passenger:

Rear Driver:

MPN22BroncoOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Mikhail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Paying all this money for a brand new vehicle and to have issues like these without resolution or a fix from Ford is absurd and unacceptable!
You didnt do a thing for me. After several trips to my dealer with no progress I took it upon myself to add weatherstripping.
Sponsored