First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm having the same issue. I did try the suggestion to turn off the lights, then turn off the ignition but it happened again. It does seam to happen about an hour after it's parked. I am able to sit in my office and have the Bronco right outside my window. I've had it for about 6 weeks and the light thing has happened about 10 times. Once I didn't go out and physically turn them off. They turned off after 10 minutes. I also got the door bing indicating the Bronco thinks the lights are one. I even turned off my updates to see if that effected it. I hope Ford figures this out soon.
Hi there. This headlight concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored

lowboost

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 6gen 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2022 base model myself and its been having the problem as well. The lights will randomly turn on at random times. I was working out of town and could see my bronco from my window and I looked up and there it was with the headlights on. I walked out and opened the door and it was dinging like a key is in the ignition or headlights left on. The screen is on and gear indicator lights are illuminated. I noticed the light switch is the same as the 2020+ Explorer and the plug even matches. I was wondering if that would be a fix for this problem? It is very annoying to travel and be worried about a brand new cars battery or the life of my screen being shortened due to this flaw. A used explorer switch is around 50 bucks on ebay. I'm sure pull a part places are around the same price...

Edit: top is bronco and lower is explorer, they both are stamped xxxx-13D061-xxx
Ford Bronco FIXED: Headlights turning on when switched off bronco light switch

Ford Bronco FIXED: Headlights turning on when switched off explorer light switch 2020

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 base model myself and its been having the problem as well. The lights will randomly turn on at random times. I was working out of town and could see my bronco from my window and I looked up and there it was with the headlights on. I walked out and opened the door and it was dinging like a key is in the ignition or headlights left on. The screen is on and gear indicator lights are illuminated. I noticed the light switch is the same as the 2020+ Explorer and the plug even matches. I was wondering if that would be a fix for this problem? It is very annoying to travel and be worried about a brand new cars battery or the life of my screen being shortened due to this flaw. A used explorer switch is around 50 bucks on ebay. I'm sure pull a part places are around the same price...

Edit: top is bronco and lower is explorer, they both are stamped xxxx-13D061-xxx
Ford Bronco FIXED: Headlights turning on when switched off explorer light switch 2020

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey everyone, I had the same problem with the lights. For what it’s worth, it may be worth to try this since I haven’t had issues so far. In the sync menu for automatic updates I set a scheduled time for my updates to be in the morning everyday at the same time before I left for work that way when the vehicle is on and I’m driving it’ll give it enough time to update. I haven’t had an issue yet or at least that I have noticed so far?

Sponsored

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 21 Base, and park in a garage. I have never come out to lights on overnight, but a couple times a week, I unlock the doors and the lights come on (not just the parking lights, the headlights). Then when I open the driver's door I get a chime to warn me the lights are on, and the switch is completely dark. I have to click the switch up 3-4 notches to activate the switch assembly and turn the lights back to auto. Once at work one of my coworkers told me my lights were on. The first few times I thought I might have bumped the switch, but I have been paying attention, and in probably 90% of the occurences, I am sure the lights were off when I locked the doors.

Reactions: JSK

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From the thread on recalls, tsb, etc:

SSM 50842 - 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in October 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
From the thread on recalls, tsb, etc:

SSM 50842 - 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in October 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.
Thanks for posting this. I have verified this DTC exists using Forscan.

The fact that a headlamp switch has "internal logic" for something that turns lights on/off does not compute with my brain's internal logic.

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just thought I'd chime in, this has happened a half a dozen times for a few weeks and the 1,400 miles I have on my '22 Base Sas Bronco. Thought I was bumping the switch until I marked it and was still greeted with the chime after returning and the switch was still at the same position. Guess we'll wait for the new switch...

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has started doing this. Oddly enough it only started doing it after I whacked the switch with me knee getting in one morning

Sponsored

ChadB

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dealer here has ordered a new switch . Gets replaced next week. Hope it solves the issue . Will update when it’s replaced.
Hello, Yes the dealer replace the headlight switch. Said it was faulty. Have not had the problem since.

MOBroncoSTL

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MX-5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My 2022 base just starting doing this. To my knowledge it did not happen until my dealer installed an external key pad. I park with my Bronco facing my living room so I surely would have noticed it before now. It has happened a few times since the key pad was installed last week. When I go to shut off the lights the indicator doesn't light up until I turn it a few clicks. Worrying about whether or not the truck will start in the morning is not fun. 4500 miles, built mid March, delivered mid June.

gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
recall expected in october, parts wont be available until then
Sponsored