Sponsored

Heritage limited edition price/investment?

Ranger345

Badlands
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any idea how much over MSRP these things are going for? 1 of 1966 are they investment?
Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sure. Almost any vehicle can be an investment if you park it when you get it and then sell it many years later. I had a Gen1 SVT Lightning. Drove it lightly for 25 years and sold it for more than I paid for it. Much better investments available other than a vehicle. But, I did better than most with a 1995 F-150, but not a reason to get it in my opinion.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thinking of a domestic, mass produced vehicle with a simple trim package as an “investment” is absolutely silly.

As @BigFootie pointed out, only if you plan to not really drive it and hide in a garage for 20 years would there be any point. Otherwise, you take on risk every time you drive it and it could even get stolen and sold to some guy in Dubai.

An investment right now would be the bond market and commodities where my return the past 3 years has basically been silly money and in 20 years that same money as paid for that Heritage Limited, would be at least tripled.

Rich people don’t “collect“ cars to make money, they use them as tokens. Think old school Bitcoin before Crypto existed. Same reasons, same sets of people.

Last edited:

NeoS281

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good timing with this post. The smoking tire podcast reviewed car data for low mileage, limited edition vehicles (I.E. 1994 Cobra Convertible Pace Car) and based the data on Bring a Trailer sale prices, MSRP, inflation & investing (S&P 500). If I recall, a couple tracked with inflation but none provided the same returns as investing in the stock market.

Link (start at 1:12:03 mark)

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I loved my SVT F-150. But after 20 years, most of the special parts were no longer available as NOS and even the standard F-150 parts were no longer available. I got to the point I didn’t enjoy driving it for concerns some idiot on a phone would T-bone me. I was happy and sad to part with it and felt extremely lucky to sell it for more than I paid new for it. But still wouldn’t consider it an investment. Or if it was, it was a poor one.

I hope they make the Heritage Edition for a few years just to get the numbers up or at least make the tops, fenders and perhaps wheels available on other future trims to get the volumes up. I for one am not interested in another low production vehicle.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, no. Depreciating assets that do not generate revenue over their useful life do not make for good investments.

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

3,392 total, not 1966.

Anyway... my hunch is "not worth it" based off of what I see with used First Editions. They are only selling marginally above what 2021/2022 Wildtraks are selling at.

If you bought it and parked it in a garage for a few decades... then yeah, it's an investment. Or if you bought one at MSRP and turn around and immediately flipped it, then yeah, that'll probably work out in your favor. But if you buy it and use it as a Bronco should be used, I don't think you'll see a big ROI.

BUT, very curious what others have to say on this, because I'm really bad with limited-production vehicles.
Ranger 365 is correct, there will be 1966 2 doors and 1966 4 doors produced, I'm one of the lucky ones that will receive a 2 door.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you add in insurance, taxes, storage costs, and maintenance (even cars that aren’t driven require maintenance) there’s no way it can ever be considered an investment. Sure if Ford built something like 100 or fewer models with a unique powertrain then those could be considered an investment. When production is in the thousands and the difference is tires, wheels a few bits of trim and stickers then not an investment.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one trim out there that has actual limited availability is the Edselglades. But it is hampered by having the least desirable powertrain configuration and 4 doors. The best Edselglades would be painted in the oxymoronic Desert Sand.

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Car's aren't investments, don't treat them like one.

Sponsored

56F100

Outer Banks
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
56 Ford F100 with 30K original miles
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, no. Depreciating assets that do not generate revenue over their useful life do not make for good investments.
Blue Bronco is absolutely correct.

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it's well understood that using a vehicle as an investment is generally not profitable in the long term.

Looking past that, and actually entertaining the OP's question: In the world of late model Bronco's, the Heritage will fetch more money in the future than the "standard lineup" trims. It will fetch those dollars from someone who wants what will be considered a vintage car (say 40 years from now) trimmed to mimic an already vintage car. The US will be different then, and someone may be chasing a dream, or a timestamp in history, much like many do today when they buy a classic muscle car. It will be cool, it will be unique, it will not be a plain Jane CUV/SUV/Sedan/Coupe/Truck.

That being said, there will be plenty of Bronco's to pick from, so your future clientele will be limited, but there will be someone looking for VIN'd Heritage Bronco, simply because it exists. People will mod their's to look like a Heritage, but it will never be a true Heritage that a purest will want. Be prepared to make it a garage queen, wax it (don't put PPF on it, that will hurt it in the long run), never drive it and absolutely NEVER put a single mod on it that can't easily be taken off.

Now, let's pretend it's 40 years from now, and I'm surrounded by Mr. Fusion powered flying Deloreans - Will I want a gasoline powered, unsafe (by standards that don't exist today), slow, large, polluting, aluminum wrapped hunk of 40 year old steel? Well, yes, there will those that want to stand out and be proud. Just like there's those that seek factory condition S2000's, Mustangs, Chevelle's, Corvettes. I do feel the Heritage will hold it's value in line with its current cost above the other existing trims, more so if it's completely stock, but it's only a trim of a mass produced vehicle and not that unique of a vehicle to rake in the dough. The 2 door will be more desirable than the 4, the person looking for one in the future wouldn't be looking at it as a family vehicle, but as a treasure. Inflation may give it the illusion that it's worth close to the original MSRP, but that's because the dollar will be worth less then.

All in all, it's a gamble and far from a guarantee that it holds value.

56F100

Outer Banks
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
56 Ford F100 with 30K original miles
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been lucky enough to have owned over 50 collector cars over the last 35 years. It is a hobby. Ive been retired for the past 10 years. Almost all of those cars were sold for a profit. Some, I should have kept a bit longer, as certain cars have gone through the roof appreciation-wise. That being said, very few cars produced today, especially those that are mass produced, would be classified as good investments.

PowderHound

Wildtrak
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You’ll surely be able to drive it for a year and sell it for what you paid or some nominal profit If that is what you are asking. Maybe not an investment per se but there’s plenty of other vehicles out there that will depreciate way faster and be way less fun to drive

ravenb99

First Edition
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just traded in my FE 4D 2021 Bronco Lightning Blue with 16k miles. 3531 4D FE made and probably less than 1k Lightning Blue. Paid 62k plus taxes was like 67k. Got 66k in trade and used towards a 2023 Tundra Limited Hybrid Max at 63k so no sales tax paid on that. Original plan was to sell the FE when I got it but wanted to enjoy it. Got 2 years out of it at basically break even which I call a win so can use that towards the investment idea on a Heritage. Last 6 months they have dropped pretty significantly which is what I guessed the time frame would be ( 2 years). was about 70-72k 6 months ago.

Dealer listed it at 71k which I think is optimistic as there were 3 others in are with a 2k mile one listed at 70k and a 16k one listed at 68k.

I was happy with the offer and got to enjoy it for 2 years at basically no cost and now have a 0 mile vehicle.
Sponsored