First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150, 2020 QX80
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice! Let me know how it handles once you load it down and try it out. Thinking my best solution might be combining a decent carrier with the Kuat pivot.

I looked at the Kuat pivot and may add it later. Not sure if I will use it enough to justify cost.
Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Pakmule swayback hitch carrier. If it's empty, the tailgate clears it to swing open.

Pricy, especially if you get add ons like the brake light, decking or straps, but they are solid, made in the USA aluminum goodness that seem like will last for life

https://pakmule.com

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Big Bend
First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a Pakmule swayback hitch carrier. If it's empty, the tailgate clears it to swing open.

Pricy, especially if you get add ones like the brake light, decking or straps, but they are solid, made in the USA aluminum goodness that seem like will last for life

https://pakmule.com
I definitely like those. Probably really good quality carriers. Only issue I still have is if I need to open the tailgate and have the carrier loaded down I wouldn’t be able to access it with just the carrier since everything would be in the way of the gate.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I definitely like those. Probably really good quality carriers. Only issue I still have is if I need to open the tailgate and have the carrier loaded down I wouldn’t be able to access it with just the carrier since everything would be in the way of the gate.
Right, that's the consideration with this style carrier vs. the roof or spare tire mount, something else, which have their own peculiarities. On the plus side its easy to load.

Like they say though, the thing does not wiggle at all and I'm not worried about snapping it off on some mild, uneven off road terrain. We've seen stories of some of the cheaper ones over-stressing like that.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Big Bend
First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Right, that's the consideration with this style carrier vs. the roof or spare tire mount, something else, which have their own peculiarities. On the plus side its easy to load.

Like they say though, the thing does not wiggle at all and I'm not worried about snapping it off on some mild, uneven off road terrain. We've seen stories of some of the cheaper ones over-stressing like that.
Good to know. I’ll definitely consider them when it comes to the carrier. Might just end up doubling down and paying the extra dollar to get both. I’ve got a bike rack too anyways that I can use the pivot for.

Sponsored

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is slick! Thanks for that link!
2nd the Kuat. It's great! Opens to 120+ degrees, is available in driver and passenger swing, and works great with my 1up bike rack.
That said, I'll be adding a MASS spare tire cargo carrier so I can also carry 2 bikes.

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you get the passenger side or the driver side swing? I could see either working or not working depending on dimensions.
Just got back from a trip to Big Bend National Park and a few other Texas state parks. Here is a pick with the driver side swing open.

Ford Bronco Hitch carrier vs spare tire basket IMG_1722.JPG

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have a hitch basket. When it is on, I cannot open the tailgate or the window. Maybe something to drop the hitch would help. Anyway, something to consider.
I made this mistake as well for wifes bronco, the basket she purchased had 6” sides. Installed it and spare tire hit the sides. I have a 6” drop hitch she has to use for it, so it clears the sides but still have to take cooler etc off the rack before opening rear door.

CDUBHTOWN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted BadSas I 911.1 Turbo S I Expy King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

CDUBHTOWN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted BadSas I 911.1 Turbo S I Expy King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got back from a trip to Big Bend National Park and a few other Texas state parks. Here is a pick with the driver side swing open.

Ford Bronco Hitch carrier vs spare tire basket IMG_1722.JPG
Looks great! What basket is that and do you know the load rating?

Sponsored

LaterGator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also have the Kuat Pivot 2.0 and use a Curt aluminum hitch tray. Max weight on the Pivot is 250lbs. I use mine for a garden wagon and steel targets that I don't want inside.
Ford Bronco Hitch carrier vs spare tire basket IMG_8081

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Big Bend
First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fun fact, in case any of you decide to get a hitch carrier and happen to have the RTR rear bumper and factory tow package, you’re going to need an 8 inch hitch extension or more. I ordered the kuat pivot in combo with the Pakmule Scout. Got both ready to go and went to attach to my Bronco and I was just barely too short to put the hitch pin in. The pivot contacts the 2 recovery points welded on the bumper. So I decided to return the pivot and just keep the rack with a hitch extension. Both items are super well made though and worth the price.

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great! What basket is that and do you know the load rating?
I'm not sure what the basket is. I got it a long time ago and there is not a name on it. Load for the Kuat is 250 pounds. I mainly put bulky stuff back there (tent, propane tank, grill, traction boards, folding chairs, etc). I don't think I reached 150 pounds. This waterproof bag is nice though:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JKW2J4/
It keeps everything dry and allows you to stack stuff easily.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you picked your solution, but if anyone comes here wondering about the JCR spare tire basket, I have one.

• I don't keep it on all the time
  • I don't put a lot of weight on it and use it for light but bulky items
  • Use blue Loctite! The hardware will rattle loose
  • It's a bit awkward to size to your tire, but mostly awkward due to the places that the nuts and bolts have to go and you have to bust your knuckles to tighten up
Overall, it's the perfectsolutionfor my use case. I would never do any trails rougher than a dirt road with it on and I didn't expect that capability. Remember that every ounce is extra strain on the tailgate.

Ford Bronco Hitch carrier vs spare tire basket 20230305_093916

Dusmw

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250/Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands