Rooftop tent.... Or basket carrier

WuNgUn

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Badlands 2 door reserved. This will be my daily driver and overlanding adventure off roader. I travel solo, so I'm trying to decide how to handle cargo... I love the idea of a roof top tent for ease of setup, security and protection from the elements.
But this would mean getting creative with inside cargo space as a compromise.
I'm minimalist to a fault, but would have to have space for a compressor fridge and maybe a small storage shelf/slide-out on top of all the necessary gear for a 2 week get-away.
I guess rear seats won't matter much...

But a ground tent and a rooftop basket carrier with a few Plano boxes/water/fuel/propane/recovery gear setup would keep things much more secure and organized (I also like being organized).
I guess I have a few months to decide!

Advertisement

Mr.Pike17

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 sante fe awd
Clubs

my biggest fear of me getting a roof top tent is in the middle of the night having a bad leg cramp and not being able to get down the ladder to walk it off opposed to my ground tent i can just koolaid man through the door.. i guess i could just put in a slide lol

OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
my biggest fear of me getting a roof top tent is in the middle of the night having a bad leg cramp and not being able to get down the ladder to walk it off opposed to my ground tent i can just koolaid man through the door.. i guess i could just put in a slide lol
Hahaha! Drink more water!?

Lowcountry Bronco

Badlands
First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger and 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
Badlands 2 door reserved. This will be my daily driver and overlanding adventure off roader. I travel solo, so I'm trying to decide how to handle cargo... I love the idea of a roof top tent for ease of setup, security and protection from the elements.
But this would mean getting creative with inside cargo space as a compromise.
I'm minimalist to a fault, but would have to have space for a compressor fridge and maybe a small storage shelf/slide-out on top of all the necessary gear for a 2 week get-away.
I guess rear seats won't matter much...

But a ground tent and a rooftop basket carrier with a few Plano boxes/water/fuel/propane/recovery gear setup would keep things much more secure and organized (I also like being organized).
I guess I have a few months to decide!
A minimalist with a rooftop tent?

Give this show a couple seasons and re-pack!
alone.jpg

*totally kidding

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Clubs

Ford should have just used something like the new f150 seats that lay flat for sleeping. At least as an option. Both vehicles are coming out at the same time....

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Will the rear seats be easily removable? For a solo traveler, that'd make for a ton of room. I've seen a few Jeep folks do that.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Lancer
Clubs

2-dr here also. My outings will be weekends maybe week long at most. I plan on a rooftop tent, probably the one offered by Ford. I will remove at least one rear seat. About a 30-35qt fridge. Bins/bags: recovery, tools, kitchen, clothes, bedding, medical, campfire, food, water, solar battery unit. Hope it all fits, may have to remove both rear seats.

Advertisement

Advertisement