Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Some yes, some no.

There’s not like an infinite storage database on the vehicle that records everything you’ve ever done. A lot of it just snapshot-in-time data. If it has a connection it will sent it up, if there is no connection it’ll just forget about it and move on.
Sounds like if the fuse is removed during the majority of driving and put back in at the dealer lot, there shouldn't be any problems with them doing their thing.

Is this your impression?
Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Snitch? Lol, I'd welcome my insurance to see how I drive. It is absolutely discount worthy.
Unless you live in the mountains. Mountain driving involves accelerating up steep roads and braking heavily going down the same roads, also hard, sharp turns are also frequent as mountain roads are tight and twisty in places. If you live in the plains, it is easy to drive discount worthy, but the data collection does not differentiate as to where you live.
Another note to consider, is that if you do any "track time", this data is sent on as well!

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait…how would your insurance company know who is driving? I for one couldn’t care less about data tracking. Let them have it. I think the good outweighs the potentially bad…
They do not know who is driving, so if someone borrows your Bronco, potentially your insurance rates will increase due to someone else's driving habits. Do you still care less?

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's see if you feel that way when they do like GM and sell it to insurance companies then your rate goes up $100/month because you are somewhat heavy footed. I am not worried about my privacy, but about my pocketbook.

If you drive like a granny then you have options. Several insurance companies will offer you discounts if you let them snoop on you to verify your driving habits. I tend to drive 10 miles over the speed limit at all times, and when I am on the freeway with a radar detector and Highway Radar running I will sometimes go 20 over the limit. My insurance company will have a field day of they have hard data proving it.
Hate to break it to you but they’re going to raise your rates regardless of whether they have your data.

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Disabling might throw codes. My brothers Audi started lighting up the dash when he disabled the link to the Audi mothership in Germany.

Sponsored

meh

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That california privacy opt out right sure would come in handy here...

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait…how would your insurance company know who is driving? I for one couldn’t care less about data tracking. Let them have it. I think the good outweighs the potentially bad…
They don't need to know. They just rate the vehicle.
Was able to log into the Ford website, drill down to the privacy area and after clicking on every link in those pages I finally got somewhere to opt out. However, I think this is just for "Opt out of Sales/Sharing" and nothing to do with vehicle telemetry. Below is the email I received from Ford. Also this may be just for CA residents.
1710353736999-dw.png
Likely CA only, can you
That california privacy opt out right sure would come in handy here...
lexis Nexis has it, as well as ability to request deletion of all existing data they have. I have already done that. This weekend I will do it with the other company that @Ford Motor Company is selling us out to. A poster earlier in the thread said that there is some opt out on the Ford site hoping that he posts it here.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Unless you live in the mountains. Mountain driving involves accelerating up steep roads and braking heavily going down the same roads, also hard, sharp turns are also frequent as mountain roads are tight and twisty in places. If you live in the plains, it is easy to drive discount worthy, but the data collection does not differentiate as to where you live.
Another note to consider, is that if you do any "track time", this data is sent on as well!
Interesting point. But the data includes GPS location so if you're driving in an area where everyone regularly needs to use more throttle and braking it would be known. Same thing for off public highway situations like a race track.

8 years ago I ran an insurance company OBD plug in to allow monitoring for a 60 or 90 day period to see if I qualify for a discount. I drove exactly like I always do, nothing different. I was given a link to their site where I could view all data. It showed exactly where I traveled, time, speeds, etc. I noticed my wife topped 90 mph merging into the highway in her new Mercedes coupe! After the period I sent the plug in back and we received a discount. I'd do it again if I had to, but it seems now I won't have to!

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m confused, did you previously opt in to this insurance data-sharing service?
I have no recollection of turning it on. May have been that the sales guy at the dealership did so and I was not paying enough attention. Or Ford turns it on by default and expects you to opt out. Whatever the case, something like this should be an opt-in situation, with a confirmation "are you sure you want to do this". Wishful thinking I know.

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no recollection of turning it on. May have been that the sales guy at the dealership did so and I was not paying enough attention. Or Ford turns it on by default and expects you to opt out. Whatever the case, something like this should be an opt-in situation, with a confirmation "are you sure you want to do this". Wishful thinking I know.
It is opt in though:

A Ford spokesperson told the Times that the company “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner” — a reference to Verisk and LexisNexis.

Ford will only share driver behavior data with an insurance company if the driver give explicit consent via an in-vehicle touch screen.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting point. But the data includes GPS location so if you're driving in an area where everyone regularly needs to use more throttle and braking it would be known. Same thing for off public highway situations like a race track.

8 years ago I ran an insurance company OBD plug in to allow monitoring for a 60 or 90 day period to see if I qualify for a discount. I drove exactly like I always do, nothing different. I was given a link to their site where I could view all data. It showed exactly where I traveled, time, speeds, etc. I noticed my wife topped 90 mph merging into the highway in her new Mercedes coupe! After the period I sent the plug in back and we received a discount. I'd do it again if I had to, but it seems now I won't have to!
I would like to believe that the data is being broken down enough to show that your location is impacting your driving habits. But, as the majority of us have no idea as to how much of our data is being resold/used as this process is so shrouded in secrecy, we have no way of knowing whether this information is being disseminated in that way. Until we can all easily understand how this data is being used, I will not risk my data being used incorrectly. Because of this, I have turned off the data collection from my Bronco.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That statement is an obfuscation. I posted a screenshot of the consent screen earlier.
Please show me where in Ford’s privacy policy it states that they share personally-identifiable connected vehicle metrics with third parties.

This is all I could find:

Vehicle Verification and Valuation Partners. We disclose information about factory-installed vehicle features and options to third parties such as auction companies, insurance companies, dealers, lenders, guidebook providers, vehicle websites, and prospective buyers so that they can verify a vehicle’s features and options and estimate its value. The features and options information that we disclose to these third parties is linked to the unique vehicle identification number (VIN).
And…

Finally, we may disclose de-identified information (including Connected Vehicle Information) to others in accordance with applicable law.
Seems like Ford is being pretty clear they do not share vehicle location or driving behavior data with others unless it’s anonymized.

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I would like to believe that the data is being broken down enough to show that your location is impacting your driving habits. But, as the majority of us have no idea as to how much of our data is being resold/used as this process is so shrouded in secrecy, we have no way of knowing whether this information is being disseminated in that way. Until we can all easily understand how this data is being used, I will not risk my data being used incorrectly. Because of this, I have turned off the data collection from my Bronco.
I understand the concern. But if you think about it from the insurance companies interest, they want to use any data in the most accurate way because they truly WANT to insure the safest drivers with the least amount of risk. We make them money! Penalizing individual drivers for what may be justifiably safe behavior would not serve their profit interests well because we can easily go to another company.

In the interests of drivers I WANT the riskiest vehicle operators to pay a fair amount for the increase costs they foist on all of us. This is fair for all.
Sponsored