RideClimbNJ

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just turned off drive data sharing in settings. You can then go back in and turn everything else back on. I don’t think you lose any functionality.
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I trust Ford programmers to properly implement this as much as I trust gas station sushi. Does unchecking share vehicle location, for example, disable it from Fordpass? Doubt it.
It absolutely disables it from FordPass. I was able to do a remote start using FordPass before I shut everything off. Now when I open FordPass on my phone it says:
Please update in-vehicle settings to enable connectivity.
And I can't do anything with the app.

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It does. Vehicle location does indeed stop getting reported in FordPass if you turn it off. Or at least it did on my wife’s Escape. Haven’t tried on the Bronco admittedly, but that’s an easy test.
Good to know. Now turn off location in Fordpass so the phone isn't snitching...

Of course that doesn't mean anything is turned off behind the scenes.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Y’all better pull “fuse 20” on your smartphones too.

Sponsored

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good to know. Now turn off location in Fordpass so the phone isn't snitching...

Of course that doesn't mean anything is turned off behind the scenes.
Yep. Unless the privacy policy specifically states turning off Fordpass will disable all tracking, you are being tracked. GPS no doubt. They want to know if you went to the golf range 3 times this week to sell that data to advertisers. I'm not even sure pulling a fuse will do it as Ford probably has its own power source for the transmitting device buried behind infotainment system as they don't want to make it that easy. Ah, that restored to stock 1966 or 1976 Bronco looks better each day... haha.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Y’all better pull “fuse 20” on your smartphones too.
Yeah, smartphones are even worse. Anybody who wants smartphone privacy needs to get a Pixel, wipe Android and flash GrapheneOS. Actually not that hard. No Google apps to track you. You can set it up to only use non-tracking apps. Can still be tracked by cell tower triangulation, but can always turn airplane mode on and use WiFi with VOIP talk/text apps. Yeah, a pretty big hassle most understandably won't do, but the price of privacy.
https://www.androidpolice.com/grapheneos-guide/

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just heard back from Verisk. They claim that they don't have behavior data from Ford, only GM, Huyndai, and Honda.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Without knowing what data is being captured, how it was obtained and whether or not is anonymized. No details of which are in that article. The first story is meaningless.The second article is much the same. No details provided. That isn't to say I trust and car manufacturer, I don't. But playing conspiracy guy at every opportunity leaves you ill prepared for the real thing. If we really want to find a boogieman look no further than lawyers and elected officials. Now that **** scares me.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can read Ford's privacy policy to read what they collect and how they use it. There are also Sync settings you can enable/disable to turn off certain features.

If you don't trust any of it and just want to disable everything, pull the fuse for the Telematics Control Unit module. The fuse is located in the BCM fuse box under the steering wheel, you can refer to the owner's manual. (Fuse 20 I think, but might be remembering wrong.)

You will lose all FordPass connectivity, over-the-air updates, navigation, Connected Services, some SiriusXM functionality, etc. And I fairly certain you will also lose all wireless Android Auto/CarPlay functionality, but admittedly I've never tried. (The wired version of those should continue to work.)

If you do decide to pull the fuse make sure you tell the service department if/when you take it in for warranty or service work. None of the remote diagnostic and service information will be vaild without the TCU functioning, so best to just let the service folks know so they're not running down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out.
Or disconnect the antenna on the roll bar.

Sponsored

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can you only opt out in the car? Fordpass just shows me a dashboard with no toggles.
Go to Account Settings and there is a "Do Not Sell My Personal Information".

That won't stop the data collection but will at least opt you out of them selling your info.

fftfk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just went out to turn off data settings in my car and noted there is a specific toggle switch for insurance data. Not sure if this is new or not.
Ford Bronco How do we turn off data sharing? IMG_9939

fftfk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is big $$$ for Ford. Selling your personal data. If they are not already doing it, AI on mics to record conversations to sell that data to advertisers. "Honey, let's buy a new washing machine"... while driving along.

And for those who say they don't care about privacy or don't have anything to hide, please allow for sharing on all your devices to my private devices so I can see EVRYTHING you do online -- email, texts, banking, romantic, etc. in your personal life. I didn't think so. Here's a good place to start with general online privacy for those who may have an interest (almost all don't). And no, my name is not Kyle and I don't live in Augusta, GA and while I drive a Bronco, it is not a BD (got profile pic from a web search). And no, this forum does not have an email associated with my name. Privacy...
https://www.privacyguides.org/en/#why-should-i-ca
Yeah, smartphones are even worse. Anybody who wants smartphone privacy needs to get a Pixel, wipe Android and flash GrapheneOS. Actually not that hard. No Google apps to track you. You can set it up to only use non-tracking apps. Can still be tracked by cell tower triangulation, but can always turn airplane mode on and use WiFi with VOIP talk/text apps. Yeah, a pretty big hassle most understandably won't do, but the price of privacy.
https://www.androidpolice.com/grapheneos-guide/
It's funny - the android police requires disabling your adblocker to see the grapheneos guide.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just went out to turn off data settings in my car and noted there is a specific toggle switch for insurance data. Not sure if this is new or not.
Ford Bronco How do we turn off data sharing? IMG_9939
I have the insurance data greyed out on my display but if I de-select anything else it will not allow me to remote start from the FordPass app :(

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the insurance data greyed out on my display but if I de-select anything else it will not allow me to remote start from the FordPass app :(
That's the trade-off you have to choose. I'm okay having to go out to the Bronco to start it if it also means that I'm completely disconnected from Ford or anybody else out in cyberspace.
Sponsored