First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really hope they made solid improvements of the ZR2. I own a 2018 model and although I love the truck, I've had numerous problems with it. DSSV shocks leak after 50K miles, thermostats go out at around 75-80K miles (happening to all the trucks), and now I have a camshaft carrier seal leak which is going to cost $6500 to fix. I realize things wear out on vehicles, but I don't even have 100K on the engine and I'm tired of repairing it. And, before anyone throws shade my way, many owners report significant issues as well. The ZR2 is a great truck, but GM quality sucks.

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really hope they made solid improvements of the ZR2. I own a 2018 model and although I love the truck, I've had numerous problems with it. DSSV shocks leak after 50K miles, thermostats go out at around 75-80K miles (happening to all the trucks), and now I have a camshaft carrier seal leak which is going to cost $6500 to fix. I realize things wear out on vehicles, but I don't even have 100K on the engine and I'm tired of repairing it. And, before anyone throws shade my way, many owners report significant issues as well. The ZR2 is a great truck, but GM quality sucks.
If you don’t mind me asking, what motor do you have in yours? I remember looking at. ZR2 Bison before the Bronco was available, and I think it was a 3.6L V6, but I think there was another option at the time… this one was a turbo’d 4cyl

Sponsored

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you don’t mind me asking, what motor do you have in yours? I remember looking at. ZR2 Bison before the Bronco was available, and I think it was a 3.6L V6, but I think there was another option at the time… this one was a turbo’d 4cyl
It's the 3.6L. It's interesting that both vehicles are highly capable of wheeling, but the Bronco has two distinct advantages. 1. Activating the lockers in the Bronco is far superior (and simple) than the ZR2 and most importantly, the turning radius of the Bronco is outstanding. The ZR2 isn't great, so 3 point turning is far more likely.

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's the 3.6L. It's interesting that both vehicles are highly capable of wheeling, but the Bronco has two distinct advantages. 1. Activating the lockers in the Bronco is far superior (and simple) than the ZR2 and most importantly, the turning radius of the Bronco is outstanding. The ZR2 isn't great, so 3 point turning is far more likely.
The turning radius definitely came into play in my favor in the middle of the video lol

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco is a lot smoother over the obstacles, but that may be due to a difference in driver skill levels. The ZR2 has a lot of jerky stop and go action.

OP
OP
EvanPeterson

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco is a lot smoother over the obstacles, but that may be due to a difference in driver skill levels. The ZR2 has a lot of jerky stop and go action.
He came from a built wrangler, and gladiator, to the ZR2. He said it’s a whole diff feel, so a little bit of learning curve. But, I expected it to struggle on some spots, and was mistaken

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Neither the Colorado ZR2 nor the 1500 ZR2 hit $86k even with the $9000 AEV Bison package added. In the US at least…
I just built one on their website and that’s wha it came back with

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So what you're saying is GM is no better than Ford these days...