Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For whatever reason, the price of the 4-door and 2-door skid plate sets are the same, despite the 4-door set including a massive fuel tank skid plate that the 2-door set does not because they already have tank skids. So, I bought the 4-door set from our very helpful forum sponsor @flip (Phil) using the B6G discount and had it sent to the local freight terminal. I have the fuel tank skid plate for sale here so feel free to make an offer.

https://www.ruxerparts.com/oem-parts/ford-kit-skid-plate-mb3z5d032e

I don't think they're available but the part numbers on the individual plates are:
MB3C-5R108-BC bumper skid
MB3C-5B018-AB engine/rack skid
MB3C-7E063-A transfer case skid

Looking at pictures on Levittown's site, the 4-door "engine" skid plate, which is really protecting the steering rack, has some extra metal surrounding the rearward holes but I'm not sure why. No matter, it bolts up fine. All 3 plates are simple enough but I did have to cut the tow hooks off for front plate clearance. I'll have to find another front recovery point solution until I get around to building a bumper.

The 4 plates are 150 pounds when palletized. The 3 I used aren't too heavy but they seem thick enough to do the job unless you're more of a rock bouncer than a rock crawler. I used the bolts from the kit but they're the same as the ones I took out. The transfer case skid required the 4 bolts and 2 nut clips included with the kit.
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220209_175518109

I did throw a couple coats of paint on those cut ends to keep them pretty. You can buy the brackets without the tow hooks but they were about $100 each, as I recall.
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220214_164920313

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220214_172014945

The metal skid doesn't come as far forward as the plastic one did so there is some gap fore-aft, though you don't see it from a normal vantage point.
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220214_172037317

There's about 2" gap between the frame and the plate if you want to attach a recovery point to the bottom of the frame.
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220214_172050815

This area is still exposed, though nothing critical is hanging too low. Ford does sell a skid plate that covers the front part of this area to protect the sta-bar disconnect but I'm hoping somebody comes out with a higher clearance transmission crossmember and skid plate. Ford could've done a much better job tucking that part up.
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220214_173604860

PXL_20220214_170622200.jpg
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks fir the info....I have the skid kit waiting for my Bronco...

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here's what I came up with for a front tow hook solution. I used Rough Country RS150 shackle adapter brackets which are intended for 09-20 F150 trucks. They fit perfectly between the original tow hook bracket and the downward bump at the end of the frame rail. I did have to cut the original tow hooks back almost to the frame bracket. I spaced the skid plate down with a couple washers behind each front screw since I didn't want to notch it. I did notch the plastic on the bottom of the bumper a little so it didn't have to sit so high. Not much, maybe 1/8" or so.

I'll get better pictures when I take these off to put in grade 8 bolts since I was hastily installing these before a trip so I'd have a tow point for the tow truck if my 2.7 dropped a valve :oops:😁 Yeah, funny/not funny.

Oh, and I scored a pair of U.S.-made Crosby 3/4" shackles on ebay for $40. I see no reason to buy chinesium shackles of unknown quality control or $425 aluminum shackles but you do you.

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220304_235735883

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220306_033816742

Ignore the cutting I did up higher on the bumper by the trim cap. I was experimenting with a different shackle bracket through the end of the frame but I gave up on that. It does appear I tested my skid plates this weekend. :p

Sponsored

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's what I came up with for a front tow hook solution. I used Rough Country RS150 shackle adapter brackets which are intended for 09-20 F150 trucks. They fit perfectly between the original tow hook bracket and the downward bump at the end of the frame rail. I did have to cut the original tow hooks back almost to the frame bracket. I spaced the skid plate down with a couple washers behind each front screw since I didn't want to notch it. I did notch the plastic on the bottom of the bumper a little so it didn't have to sit so high. Not much, maybe 1/8" or so.

I'll get better pictures when I take these off to put in grade 8 bolts since I was hastily installing these before a trip so I'd have a tow point for the tow truck if my 2.7 dropped a valve :oops:😁 Yeah, funny/not funny.

Oh, and I scored a pair of U.S.-made Crosby 3/4" shackles on ebay for $40. I see no reason to buy chinesium shackles of unknown quality control or $425 aluminum shackles but you do you.

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220306_033816742

Ignore the cutting I did up higher on the bumper by the trim cap. I was experimenting with a different shackle bracket through the end of the frame but I gave up on that. It does appear I tested my skid plates this weekend. :p
I wonder if the shackle mounts for the bronco fit as well with the metal skid plate, any input?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bump

@VoltageDrop Do you have any photos from the front (from this angle?) I am possibly picking up a set of takeoff skids locally and doing some research on how I can incorporate my brackets (ie skid plate modification) and how much of a gap there really is.

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20230801_152218661
I wonder if the shackle mounts for the bronco fit as well with the metal skid plate, any input?
Doubtful as the Bronco version doesn't have as an agressive as a angle designed into it. Here is a photo of mine.

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20230801_152137915

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bump

@VoltageDrop Do you have any photos from the front (from this angle?) I am possibly picking up a set of takeoff skids locally and doing some research on how I can incorporate my brackets (ie skid plate modification) and how much of a gap there really is.

Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20230801_152137915

Doubtful as the Bronco version doesn't have as an agressive as a angle designed into it. Here is a photo of mine.

This is the best shot I can find showing the gap from a normal viewing height. It never bothered me and things like that usually do bother me so it must not have been terrible. Maybe I was just distracted by those sweet Crosby shackles 😁
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220514_195443268.MP

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is the best shot I can find showing the gap from a normal viewing height. It never bothered me and things like that usually do bother me so it must not have been terrible. Maybe I was just distracted by those sweet Crosby shackles 😁
Ford Bronco Installed 4-Door skid plate set on a base 2-Door with plastic bumper PXL_20220514_195443268.MP
Thanks so much! That really doesn't look bad at all!
Sponsored