First Name
Warner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was looking to upgrade the undercarriage protection on my base sasquatch bronco before a big trip. I noticed there was very little protection, especially on things like the gas tank and engine which had none. Ford sells the full underbody skid plates but says that you need to have the modular bumper in order to install them, even though they look the exact same as the plastic ones but just in steel instead. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Here's the part number MB3Z-5D032-E .
Sponsored

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did it, but cut 4 ~1"x1" slots out of the new front skid plate in order to keep the recovery points usable. There is a little bit of a gap between the plastic bumper cover and the skid plate, but you don't really notice it unless you are looking at the vehicle from a very low vantage point.
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper PXL_20220423_153921230
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper PXL_20220423_153918072
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper PXL_20220423_153909903

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I should also note that I wasn't sure that a hard shackle would still fit on the front recovery points with the metal skid plate before cutting... fortunately they do still fit as do soft shackles.

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was looking to upgrade the undercarriage protection on my base sasquatch bronco before a big trip. I noticed there was very little protection, especially on things like the gas tank and engine which had none. Ford sells the full underbody skid plates but says that you need to have the modular bumper in order to install them, even though they look the exact same as the plastic ones but just in steel instead. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Here's the part number MB3Z-5D032-E .
@ASFIR 4x4 has skids made for the plastic bumper.

https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/...ufacturer=7977&car_model=12598&car_year=12599

libtech

Big Bend
First Name
Libo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did it, but cut 4 ~1"x1" slots out of the new front skid plate in order to keep the recovery points usable. There is a little bit of a gap between the plastic bumper cover and the skid plate, but you don't really notice it unless you are looking at the vehicle from a very low vantage point.
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper PXL_20220423_153909903
looks amazing. Almost factory!
Based on your experience. Can you install all the pieces in the factory kit and leave the front plastics skid? (To initially avoid any cutting?)

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Based on your experience. Can you install all the pieces in the factory kit and leave the front plastics skid? (To initially avoid any cutting?)
I would think so, but at least on the I4 that would leave your intercooler pretty exposed to getting crunched.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I put oem engine and transfer case skid on my bb with base bumper. Fit perfectly
Not worried about front plastic bash plate. On the 2.3 nothing important there, inter cooler is behind bumper. On v6's the trans cooler is back there.

Sponsored

libtech

Big Bend
First Name
Libo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I put oem engine and transfer case skid on my bb with base bumper. Fit perfectly
Not worried about front plastic bash plate. On the 2.3 nothing important there, inter cooler is behind bumper. On v6's the trans cooler is back there.
thank you. This was the exact info I was looking for. I have a BB with a normal bumper and Rear lockers. Building the poor man’s off-road machine.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

thank you. This was the exact info I was looking for. I have a BB with a normal bumper and Rear lockers. Building the poor man’s off-road machine.
Same as I. BTW I made a brace for the tc skid like the asfir one for free.
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper 20220513_165733

And you will need a couple metric bolts an clip nuts for the tc plate

Last edited:

libtech

Big Bend
First Name
Libo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Same as I. BTW I made a brace for the tc skid like the asfir one for free.
Ford Bronco Adding Metal Skid Plates to Base Plastic Bumper PXL_20220714_023511800

And you will need a couple metric bolts an clip nuts for the tc plate
Interesting. The full 4 piece kit does not come with the 2 clips and 4 bolts for the transfer case?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Idk, I only got the engine and tc plates through ford parts (about $200) not the four piece kit.

Bolts and nuts from hardware store for a few bucks
Sponsored

Last edited: