Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Biggest value is two-fold for me:

First, I often leave my fob in the vehicle so I don't have to carry it, especially if I'm going to be doing stuff where losing it is a possibility. I can lock and unlock the doors with the pad and leave the fob in the vehicle.

The second is access for others occasionally. For example, we tailgate at football games with family and friends. I can give the code to my parents and they can exit the game earlier and get into the vehicle for whatever reason even if I want to stay in the game. Or, if my wife needs to swap me vehicles for some reason and doesn't have the other key.

Just my personal two examples. I agree it's less valuable with proximity keys, but there are still uses.
with my fiat, i can walk up to the door and pull on the handle and it recognizes the fob in my pocket. the door opens. also the trunk has a button to open it from outside when the fob is in my pocket. also, on the fob there is a unlock button and lock as well. the car can be unlocked or locked from a much farther distance. my sister's grand cherokee has the same functions. does ford require pressing buttons on the fob to unlock the door, rather than sensing the fob's proximity from the vehicle and allowing access?

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know I posted this back last fall but now that people are getting their Broncos maybe someone could measure theirs. The dimensions of the keypad (with cover) are 4 5/8 long x 1 3/8 tall x 3/8 thick. Inside the fuel door is the most out of the way spot but the Bronco has a recessed area where the Ranger is flat. The black cover just pops right off to make it smaller.

Bronco fuel door. Someone measured a preproduction one and IIRC it was close.

Bronco Gas Door.jpg
I ordered one as an added accessory from item my dealer (Granger), and requested they don't install it. The accessories guy indicated he will just throw in the glove box or center console for me to install later. My plan is either in the fuel door (which may not work), or behind the spare tire like @ZackDanger suggested. My guy told me the master code will be included for me to program it.

Saw a BL at a dealer event here in Colorado back in May and got this pic:
Ford Bronco Installing keypad entry after sale? 8A6AC222-A018-4A71-848B-FEEC951AB5FE

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with my fiat, i can walk up to the door and pull on the handle and it recognizes the fob in my pocket. the door opens. also the trunk has a button to open it from outside when the fob is in my pocket. also, on the fob there is a unlock button and lock as well. the car can be unlocked or locked from a much farther distance. my sister's grand cherokee has the same functions. does ford require pressing buttons on the fob to unlock the door, rather than sensing the fob's proximity from the vehicle and allowing access?
Proximity keys are an option. I think mid package and above has them. there's a button on the outside of the handle to lock, and the door will unlock just by grabbing the handle (including the rear swing gate).

I'm a big fan, and noted that the proximity keys have decreased the value of the keypad.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered one as an added accessory from item my dealer (Granger), and requested they don't install it. The accessories guy indicated he will just throw in the glove box or center console for me to install later. My plan is either in the fuel door (which may not work), or behind the spare tire like @ZackDanger suggested. My guy told me the master code will be included for me to program it.

Saw a BL at a dealer event here in Colorado back in May and got this pic:
Ford Bronco Installing keypad entry after sale? 8A6AC222-A018-4A71-848B-FEEC951AB5FE
It might fit removing the black outer cover. I'd be very curious to see if this "master code" works as no one has been able to get theirs to program on a Ranger. Even Phil who is a retired Ford employee said there's no way to do this without having the dealer install it. His is now a paperweight as he refused to pay another $100 to have it programed. Please let us know if this does work.

Here's one member who went through a whole lot of trouble to do it on his own. It would've been easier to just pay the dealer. lol

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/programming-keypad-yourself.10353/

I'm in NJ and I reached out to (2) automotive locksmiths, my original dealership, and (3) other Ford dealerships near me. The locksmith's told me I had to go to a Ford dealership to get this done. The dealerships, including the one I bought the truck from, said it would cost, minimum, 1-hour labor, probably 2. In NJ, this means $127.50 MINIMUM...probably more. That's not including the part. 1 dealer told me if I didn't purchase the part from them (at a markup) they wouldn't perform programming. Plus I'd need to leave the truck, burning a day. Two dealerships straight up said it was not something they've done before, and my original dealership said it was very difficult. When I said I had the instructions, they said bring them...but there was no way to do it for less than an hour. I'm not one to admit defeat, so I figured out how to do it myself. I wanted to share the process for anyone else here. I hope it helps someone.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It might fit removing the black outer cover. I'd be very curious to see if this "master code" works as no one has been able to get theirs to program on a Ranger. Even Phil who is a retired Ford employee said there's no way to do this without having the dealer install it. His is now a paperweight as he refused to pay another $100 to have it programed. Please let us know if this does work.

Here's one member who went through a whole lot of trouble to do it on his own. It would've been easier to just pay the dealer. lol

Wow.....appreciate the info and thank you for the link to the Ranger thread.

I'm def going to confirm some info from my dealer before they just hand me a $100 paperweight. Just bookmarked your comment and will report back once I get it all sorted out.

FWIW, I'm led to believe my rig may already be built, but it's likely stuck at MAP bc of the MIC fiasco.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Absolutely.

It's just stuck on with adhesive and programmed to act like an additional key fob.

I'm probably going to add it after I take delivery and stick it someplace else (tucked behind the spare tire for example).
Zach,

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, maybe in the gas cap compartment.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These keypads seem to be only a Ford (and Lincoln) thing. Why don't other manufacturers have them?

It can't be related to patent protection. Ford has had these things on cars since the 90's if not earlier.

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
These keypads seem to be only a Ford (and Lincoln) thing. Why don't other manufacturers have them?

It can't be related to patent protection. Ford has had these things on cars since the 90's if not earlier.
1980. Over 40 years now. Damn.

" The feature debuted on the 1980 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Continental Mark VI and Lincoln Town Car. "

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My dealer is very responsive & did say I cannot program it myself. It needs to be linked to the vehicle through a Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) tool. He offered two options:

1. Possibly program and mount it on the swing gate for me (behind the spare tire).
  2. Cancel the $100 DIO through them and just order it through my local dealer here in Colorado for them to program it. He also suggested I can keep it on my DORA and just pay the local dealer to program & mount it. He said the part # for the keypad required a 30min install, so likely around $40 to $50 to have it done.
Appreciate the heads-up on bringing this to my attention.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also comes in handy if your parked far from your house and you want to get inside and your keys are inside.
detached garage in a wintry climate gang. or the shameful 'stepped outside my hotel room, door locked behind me' -- easily get into my car for the spare room key.

another use-case that occured way too frequently for me: wearing gloves, need to pop the trunk on my sedan. type in the code + 5|6 and trunk pops, much easier than removing my gloves and fishing keys out of my pocket.

---

For how simple a device it is, odd how many variants Ford made.
Horizontal-button and vertical-button look identical (save for number orientation) but aren't electrically compatible.
For most 2002-2012 Ford models it was hit-or-miss what design Ford would offer.
Some get the UGLY checkerboard buttons, possibly only aftermarket.
It seemed like the Edge couldn't get body-colored buttons for the longest time, just ABS plastic.
Escape, for seemingly no reason, had the buttons below the door handle but not part of the handle like the F150. Explorer got the most variation in designs through the years.

As smooth as the capacitive-touch pillar design is, I prefer physical buttons. Especially hitting 7|8 + 9|0 works better with physical buttons while the capacitive seems to prefer I fat-thumb the space between the two rather than a single finger on each. At that point, just give me a dedicated 6th target with a lock icon.

Pic related.

download.jpg

Last edited:

Ahauser2010

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi and Company Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No need for a keypad if you have the Ford pass. Unlike it from your phone from anywhere

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No need for a keypad if you have the Ford pass. Unlike it from your phone from anywhere

The only issue there is you're dependent on a cell signal. Sometimes when we're hiking there's no signal or a very weak so the keypad comes in handy there.
Sponsored