Sponsored

Intercoolers

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any chance there is going to be more categories or sections? Understood not a whole lot to
talk about technically yet, but here goes.

So what do the F150 EB's guy do about IC's and dirt. I have plenty of rigs I've taken offroad, and plenty
with IC's, but none with both. Even the main trails @ my closest park, Rausch Creek, can have deep water holes
that start out the day pretty clean, but can sometimes be practically mud holes after 2-300 trucks cross through them.

Being the base engine is going to be a relatively high boost, high strung 4 banger, any concerns with a clogged IC?
Obviously radiators could have always been a concern in the past, but they've typically sat up higher and a bit farther back.
(and had much more surface area overall)........
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not taken an intercooled rig off road, but I think your point that we have always had radiators off road is a good benchmark. The area for either is proportional to the demand they need to meet so I wouldn't worry about that. The practical difference as you pointed out is the position. I would have to check out the package in detail to make a good judgement call if it were at any more risk than the radiator. As for the thermodynamics, any heat exchanger which is meant for air would simply love to be splashed with liquid, whether it is water or mud. The specific heat of water is orders of magnitude greater than air so you could take a huge area penalty so long as everything stays wet. I hate to make such grand statements, but I wouldn't be surprised if the IC (and radiator) performed better in the water hole (so long as mud/clay is not literally packed into every pore). The part that would worry me is afterwards, if you let your radiator or IC cake up with mud without a good spray down after your adventure you are asking for trouble. To me that is just common sense though.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have not taken an intercooled rig off road, but I think your point that we have always had radiators off road is a good benchmark. The area for either is proportional to the demand they need to meet so I wouldn't worry about that. The practical difference as you pointed out is the position. I would have to check out the package in detail to make a good judgement call if it were at any more risk than the radiator. As for the thermodynamics, any heat exchanger which is meant for air would simply love to be splashed with liquid, whether it is water or mud. The specific heat of water is orders of magnitude greater than air so you could take a huge area penalty so long as everything stays wet. I hate to make such grand statements, but I wouldn't be surprised if the IC (and radiator) performed better in the water hole (so long as mud/clay is not literally packed into every pore). The part that would worry me is afterwards, if you let your radiator or IC cake up with mud without a good spray down after your adventure you are asking for trouble. To me that is just common sense though.
The issue I see is gunking it up some main trail, then hit some harder rock trail and dry it out. Then back to a main trail, gunk it again, and take yet another harder trail. And there are even some decent optional mud holes that are fun, but dispersed enough to allow thorough heating/drying after.

Or have it jammed with snow all day long. You can get away with it having a radiator that runs all the way up to top of hood (only packing the lower end of it), but I don't see how you don't pack IC if it's as low as this Raptor??

Plenty of guys with turbo diesel 3/4-1 tons I guess, but most of them have full height IC that the lowest
spot is literally 7 feet up (big mudders). Hopefully the Bronco IC is more like that on diesels, being full radiator height.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Subaru Forrester XT is a perfect example of this, it has the same turbo engine in it as the WRX. It puts all electronics (ECU) up high on the firewall on the wheel well and the intake is routed through the hood setup. I have gone through ditches and streams with water up to the door handles. It will handle it well if designed right by Ford.

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As @NMBronco pointed out, I'd be more worried about gunking-up your radiator. Really all that will happen with a gunked-up intercooler would be increased Intake Air Temps. Which of course will decrease power. I could however see a problem if people do not clean off their vehicles after driving through somewhere muddy, and it would freeze later on in the day. This would be under very certain circumstances though. Especially since all of the plumbing leading to and from the intercooler from factory will more than likely be plastic.

Happened to a friends old Subaru after talking him into driving through a mid pit a few winters ago.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As I said, hope they either make it radiator size, or put it up higher. If they put it down low,
you could easily clog it up and only get part of radiator.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The current gen Raptors need a larger IC for sporty driving in the SouthWest.
Baja tested, not Scottsdale approved
Sponsored