Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all,

I wanted to share my recent adventure. I’m new to off roading but eager to start the hobby. I’ve done a few forest roads on my own but knew I needed to learn more about how to off road the right way. Unfortunately, there isn’t nearly as many trails that exist out west to learn on and the idea of joining a club is a little overwhelming for me.

Enter Iron Range Offroad. A company that holds training courses in Minnesota’s best offroad park run by the state. The course consists of two days of offroad instruction and they teach skills and then build off them throughout the course.

The day started out in the parking lot being taught the importance of tire pressure and the entire group got to work airing down our tires.
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel Unknown

After that our team of instructors spent a good 75 minutes talking safety and trail etiquette and responsibility. While this section got a little long it was essential and something we referenced back on throughout the class.

Then we hit some light trails to get everyone comfortable. Our instructor was giving detailed advice and when we were going to encounter a new obstacle or challenge he would stop the group and explain, teach and ultimately demonstrate. A few of the highlights were driving extremely steep grades, how to safely back down a grade after not making it up a hill, water fording, some light mud, learning to drive over the rocks instead of avoiding them, navigating tight trails, vehicle recovery, and even rock crawling! I did opt out of one obstacle because I don’t have skid plates on my Big Bend. There were two other Cyber Orange Broncos in the group and I included a picture of @armand0609 sweet ride on the rock crawl I opted out of (He had the best rig in the class IMO).
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0822_Original
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0824_Original

Overall, I was extremely impressed with training. I’ve learned a lot, met great people, know which type of wheeling I gravitate towards liking and have much more confidence in my vehicle. I’ve been to the Moab Offroadeo and while that day was amazing too, I think I learned more in the Iron Range Offroad course AND the terrain was just as, if not slightly more, difficult at times. I really appreciated the time they spent on recovery compared to the Offroadeo.

So, if you are in the Upper Midwest I’d highly recommend checking out the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area and the Iron Range Offroad class. Our course had 3 Bronco (two badsquatches and my stock big bend with 33” KO2s), 3 jeeps (two Rubicons, one stock Sahara JK with Bridgeston Duelers), a 4 Runner, and a lifted gladiator. So there was a large variety of vehicles with varying abilities. Pics Below!
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0567_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0900_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0902_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0999_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_1053_Original
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_1057_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0913_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel 70880452798__DCCC5948-6E5C-4955-B110-59168B621101_Original

Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel JWG_0939_Original
Sponsored

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all,

I wanted to share my recent adventure. I’m new to off roading but eager to start the hobby. I’ve done a few forest roads on my own but knew I needed to learn more about how to off road the right way. Unfortunately, there isn’t nearly as many trails that exist out west to learn on and the idea of joining a club is a little overwhelming for me.

Enter Iron Range Offroad. A company that holds training courses in Minnesota’s best offroad park run by the state. The course consists of two days of offroad instruction and they teach skills and then build off them throughout the course.

The day started out in the parking lot being taught the importance of tire pressure and the entire group got to work airing down our tires.

After that our team of instructors spent a good 75 minutes talking safety and trail etiquette and responsibility. While this section got a little long it was essential and something we referenced back on throughout the class.

Then we hit some light trails to get everyone comfortable. Our instructor was giving detailed advice and when we were going to encounter a new obstacle or challenge he would stop the group and explain, teach and ultimately demonstrate. A few of the highlights were driving extremely steep grades, how to safely back down a grade after not making it up a hill, water fording, some light mud, learning to drive over the rocks instead of avoiding them, navigating tight trails, vehicle recovery, and even rock crawling! I did opt out of one obstacle because I don’t have skid plates on my Big Bend. There were two other Cyber Orange Broncos in the group and I included a picture of @armand0609 sweet ride on the rock crawl I opted out of (He had the best rig in the class IMO).

Overall, I was extremely impressed with training. I’ve learned a lot, met great people, know which type of wheeling I gravitate towards liking and have much more confidence in my vehicle. I’ve been to the Moab Offroadeo and while that day was amazing too, I think I learned more in the Iron Range Offroad course AND the terrain was just as, if not slightly more, difficult at times. I really appreciated the time they spent on recovery compared to the Offroadeo.

So, if you are in the Upper Midwest I’d highly recommend checking out the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area and the Iron Range Offroad class. Our course had 3 Bronco (two badsquatches and my stock big bend with 33” KO2s), 3 jeeps (two Rubicons, one stock Sahara JK with Bridgeston Duelers), a 4 Runner, and a lifted gladiator. So there was a large variety of vehicles with varying abilities. Pics Below!

It's fantastic to hear about your experience and the training you received. It's always great to learn new things, meet like-minded people, and gain confidence in your Bronco!!

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tdub0527 I agree completely with the review.
I have been slowly building up my rig and it was great to put it to the test! I have a Fabfours stubby bumper, a Smittybilt X2O winch and the Bilstein 6100 shocks with the stock Sasquatch springs.

I also did not had much wheeling experience but Mark is a great instructor. I did some trails during the class that I could not have done by myself and significantly improved my confidence.
However, despite the great spotting I did hit my skid plates a couple of times in the rock crawling section, so probably the right call for @Tdub0527 to pass on that one :).
I did just order a set of skid plates as well for the rear shock mount and track bar and a skid plate for the rear differential.

I think a well sorted Bronco can keep up easily with the Jeeps on a like for like build.

The biggest compliment I received was from Mark (the instructor), he is a pretty passionate Jeep guy and he said he was impressed with the Bronco’s!

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's great. I'm going to try to stop off at that park for a few hours on Sunday to scope it out a bit. I just picked up my Off Road Vehicle Registration. I have to be up in Grand Rapids for a wedding Saturday. Friday, I'm heading up and running the Spider Lake trails.

If you ever looking for a buddy, hit me up. I don't have a winch yet, but I do have skid plates and some recovery gear.

Oh - and after the air pressure discussion, what did you and the other broncos settle on?

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all,

All three Broncos were CO?!? That'll never happen again. Great to see such a cool spot getting some love. Spend the weekend and you can hit up the National Hockey Hall of Fame 10 minutes away, then drive 45 min to get some poutine and your passport stamped. In college at Madison my long time girlfriend was from Gilbert. Not much to do up there but what there is to do can be a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
One more question. Were you using radios up there? If so, what was the most common radio being used? CB, FRS, GMRS, or something else?

Sponsored

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One more question. Were you using radios up there? If so, what was the most common radio being used? CB, FRS, GMRS, or something else?
The instructor recommended to run between 15 to 20 psi. I was running around 18 psi the first day and took it down to 15 psi the second day.
I have a few pictures where you can see the tires taking some pretty good flex in the rock crawling section. So I think running 15 psi for those is the right call.

We were using FRS radios. Worked pretty good.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for sharing this, OP! I've done Austin Off Roadeo and the Gilmer, TX Off Road Connect event. Both were relatively light on recovery (esp. the Connect trail drive). I might make a trip out of taking one of their classes!

Also, it does my soul good to see this much Cyber Orange at once. There are damned few of us.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad to see you made it to Gilbert OHV, had no idea someone was doing training classes but it's always a good idea.

First off, whatever you do. STAY OUT OF THE RED WATER/MUD - it stains everything, clothing, interiors, body parts, metals etc. It's pure rust with a little bit of water mixed in for fun - always easy to spot new folks because for some reason that red water is so inviting to them.

It looks like they took you on the Leaf Lake Loop, Lunar Rocks and on Top of the World - great little trails for some beginners. It's a great photo spot on top, that's for sure.

Skid plates are just for that, skidding on - wheeling Gilbert you should expect to use and hear them. I would say most of what this park has to offer is more advanced than most of what Moab has to offer (which is mainly traction). While Gilbert has mild to wild, some bypasses and great trails, it can be punishing if you are not careful.

I've been wheeling Gilbert for roughly a decade and always have a good time and I'm looking forward to getting the 6th gen there. I've wheeled our CO 21` many times elsewhere, including multiple winter runs but with what I know that the 21` is capable of I will need better rock sliders and some 37's to keep the body out of the rocks. I'm used to my 74' on 43's and I did have a ton of fun on 31's in a Samaurai but unless I want to do mostly driving around (IMHO) the stock setup needs some help. I've been off roading for over 15 years so I tend to push the limits in whatever I drive, there is a ton of stuff here for new folks and stock rigs - I just know what the park has to offer and something on 37's will be able to tackle most of the tough stuff, maybe a little of the extreme stuff.
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel 1687361458316
Ford Bronco Iron Range MN - Learning to wheel 1687361730410

MN4x4 Brothers is the club that I'm part of and we are the longest standing 4x4 club in the state. We will be at Gilbert OHV over Labor Day weekend and staying at the Sherwood Forest campground right in Gilbert, MN - stop by and say hi.

https://www.facebook.com/MN4x4Brothers/

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I spent my entire youth living in the Cuyuna Iron range, which is south of the Gilbert area, and can attest to the challenges of getting the "Iron Ore" off your cars. (Parents always knew when you were somewhere you shouldn't have been:censored:) Just wondering if you were able to get all that red mud off the CO Bronco, or if it still has battle scars. I have heard that park is great for wheeling, but my OCD won't allow me to get my Pavement Prince that dirty if there is no chance of him coming out clean at the end.

Hope to see you all on the trails sometime. Have fun, be safe.

OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spent my entire youth living in the Cuyuna Iron range, which is south of the Gilbert area, and can attest to the challenges of getting the "Iron Ore" off your cars. (Parents always knew when you were somewhere you shouldn't have been:censored:) Just wondering if you were able to get all that red mud off the CO Bronco, or if it still has battle scars. I have heard that park is great for wheeling, but my OCD won't allow me to get my Pavement Prince that dirty if there is no chance of him coming out clean at the end.

Hope to see you all on the trails sometime. Have fun, be safe.
I spent 2 hours cleaning it last night and the only thing that I had trouble with was plastic parts like the bumper and in my BB’s case, the plastic front skid. Everything else cleaned up fine with a little elbow grease.

I need to go check the plastic again and Adam’s detail products have an Iron removing product I might try if I didn’t get it all off the plastic.
Sponsored