First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last weekend I took my Bronco offroad for the first time, heading to Northern MN. I'll be back later this summer.

Spider Lake OHV trains in the Foot Hills State Forest
Friday, I stopped by here on my way north into Grand Rapids, MN, for a wedding I was attending with my wife. She drove up there separately because she planned to stay longer as her father was there.
I was expecting mud there due to the rain forecast for the prior evening, but when I got there, it was quite dusty. There is primitive camping along the various trails in the forest. The trails were easy for the Bronco, never needing a locker and just keeping it in 4low, using 1st or 2nd gear. It was still fun, and Iikely felt more confident because of my time with the Bronco Off-Rodeo in New Hampshire last summer.
The main thing I was watching out for were branches poking out, looking to gouge my paint.
I talked to some dirt bikers as they prepared to head out. One of them took a picture of the Bronco as his kid has an RC version Bronco that looks the same. They were nice guys.
A couple in an Anti-mater Blue Big Ben soft top caught me as I was stopped to take a picture. I had apparently driven by their camping spot, so they tracked me down. I can't remember names, but their Bronco had 33's on some aftermarket wheels and a 2" lift. It looked nice but dusty, like mine was getting.

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip tkKdGhi

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip r6dkIar

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 0gzuIJS

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip hdLFrtv

That afternoon as I headed to Grand Rapids, I ran through some rain which cleaned all the dust off my vehicle. When I got to the city, it didn't look like I had even been offroad.

Sunday, I headed out to the Iron Range Off-highway vehicle recreation area. That morning it had been raining off and on, as well as while I was wheeling. Not enough to make it super muddy, but it did make it slick. Most of the trails there are covered with high iron content rocks. So only a few muddy areas. But the rocks are crushed, which can make them loose underfoot.
This site has 3 rankings for trails. Easy, Harder, and Hard. I stayed on the Harder trails and avoided the Hard trails. I could do the Hard trails (mostly big rocks) if I had a spotter, but I didn't do it alone. I also didn't take a run through the mud pools they had. No one else was around, and I didn't want to get stuck without anyone else around.
There was a dirt bike thing going on that day with some trails marked for them. They also have a large ATV/side-by-side specific area that I accidentally dropped in on. I missed a sign and ended up going down a slope that felt like 50 degrees, more likely 30 degrees. But going back up it to get back to my part of the park was on loose rock, so I put the rear locker on and took it easy. I also turned on the screen that shows me degrees off of lean after that.
Only one section, called Twisted Sister, had the trees really close such that I had to adjust my entry and exit from each one. Otherwise the trails were pretty wide with only a few branches to watch out for, except for the trail that was along the side of a cliff. I was there for 2 hours, then headed out. I drove about 1/3 of the trails, so I have an incentive to head back.
Friday, I put the Bronco into 4wd Low and essentially kept it in 2nd gear for most of the drive.
Sunday, I put the Bronco into 4wd Low and used C, 1, and 2, depending on how tight things got or the incline I was on.

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 2pvewc2

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip dQyLtUr

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip cQoZMOK

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip reiWptL

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip RxxAb4

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 8wWk0l8

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip yXemdA

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip ICMhYQ9

Not doing this trail without spotter and a way to get recovered.
Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip Ir8OZVF

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 7pkoOsL

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 1688152246413
Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nothing better than a day off road, looks beautiful.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice pics looks like fun. I was surprised how well the Bronco did in tight stuff. The cams and sensors come in handy. I would also say the Sasquatch fenders do help a ton in tight woods because branches smack the fenders instead of the body.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes. I had some light brush across the paint but no obvious scratches yet (I have to wash it still). Many branches and brush across the hard top. I'm trying not to worry about the paint much, as I'm into this for the long haul (my 3-year-old grandson has already claimed it), and it's going to go offroad as much as I can.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I definitely am going to try the Spider Lake trails because it’s not a far drive from where I live. Were there many other vehicles on the trail? Any mud or water crossings to go through? Just curious. Sounds like a fun trip!!

Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a blast! I was just up there two weeks ago, super cool place. They have a big public event up there called Crawl 4 the cure. Good chance to get a spotter on some of the more challenging stuff! Have you found any other good spots in Minnesota? I’m hitting the Nemadji State Forest this Monday. Some fun trails too.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

We had a cabin on Trout lake before Uncle Sam took it over and forced us out to make it part of the Superior National Forest. We would go though Virginia and the along the Mesabi range on Highway 53. Looking forward to going back up there now with one of the Bronco’s. I wasn’t aware this existed. Thanks for posting!

I didn’t realize where Spider Lake was. I remember the name but not the area. My mother grew up just north of there in Cass Lake. Looks like another spot to check out. Thanks again for posting.

Last edited:

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last weekend I took my Bronco offroad for the first time, heading to Northern MN. I'll be back later this summer.

Spider Lake OHV trains in the Foot Hills State Forest
Friday, I stopped by here on my way north into Grand Rapids, MN, for a wedding I was attending with my wife. She drove up there separately because she planned to stay longer as her father was there.
I was expecting mud there due to the rain forecast for the prior evening, but when I got there, it was quite dusty. There is primitive camping along the various trails in the forest. The trails were easy for the Bronco, never needing a locker and just keeping it in 4low, using 1st or 2nd gear. It was still fun, and Iikely felt more confident because of my time with the Bronco Off-Rodeo in New Hampshire last summer.
The main thing I was watching out for were branches poking out, looking to gouge my paint.
I talked to some dirt bikers as they prepared to head out. One of them took a picture of the Bronco as his kid has an RC version Bronco that looks the same. They were nice guys.
A couple in an Anti-mater Blue Big Ben soft top caught me as I was stopped to take a picture. I had apparently driven by their camping spot, so they tracked me down. I can't remember names, but their Bronco had 33's on some aftermarket wheels and a 2" lift. It looked nice but dusty, like mine was getting.

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip 1688152246413

That afternoon as I headed to Grand Rapids, I ran through some rain which cleaned all the dust off my vehicle. When I got to the city, it didn't look like I had even been offroad.

Sunday, I headed out to the Iron Range Off-highway vehicle recreation area. That morning it had been raining off and on, as well as while I was wheeling. Not enough to make it super muddy, but it did make it slick. Most of the trails there are covered with high iron content rocks. So only a few muddy areas. But the rocks are crushed, which can make them loose underfoot.
This site has 3 rankings for trails. Easy, Harder, and Hard. I stayed on the Harder trails and avoided the Hard trails. I could do the Hard trails (mostly big rocks) if I had a spotter, but I didn't do it alone. I also didn't take a run through the mud pools they had. No one else was around, and I didn't want to get stuck without anyone else around.
There was a dirt bike thing going on that day with some trails marked for them. They also have a large ATV/side-by-side specific area that I accidentally dropped in on. I missed a sign and ended up going down a slope that felt like 50 degrees, more likely 30 degrees. But going back up it to get back to my part of the park was on loose rock, so I put the rear locker on and took it easy. I also turned on the screen that shows me degrees off of lean after that.
Only one section, called Twisted Sister, had the trees really close such that I had to adjust my entry and exit from each one. Otherwise the trails were pretty wide with only a few branches to watch out for, except for the trail that was along the side of a cliff. I was there for 2 hours, then headed out. I drove about 1/3 of the trails, so I have an incentive to head back.
Friday, I put the Bronco into 4wd Low and essentially kept it in 2nd gear for most of the drive.
Sunday, I put the Bronco into 4wd Low and used C, 1, and 2, depending on how tight things got or the incline I was on.

Not doing this trail without spotter and a way to get recovered.

That is a beautiful looking truck, definitely one of the nicest that I have seen, though I might be a bit biased.
Thanks for sharing your great photos and letting me know about an area that I have never been too.
Keep exploring and enjoy your Bronco to the max!

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

hdlfrtv-png.png

I was just looking at this pic on CC again. That's gotta be a website header or wallpaper or something. The rig looks great as always.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was just looking at this pic on CC again. That's gotta be a website header or wallpaper or something. The rig looks great as always.
It's really hard to provide any scale for hills or height of things with a camera. Or at least I'm not a good enough photographer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like a blast! I was just up there two weeks ago, super cool place. They have a big public event up there called Crawl 4 the cure. Good chance to get a spotter on some of the more challenging stuff! Have you found any other good spots in Minnesota? I’m hitting the Nemadji State Forest this Monday. Some fun trails too.
I need to join a club that is part of the Minnesota 4 Wheel Drive Association which will give me access to some private places around the state. I'm just too busy with life to get the time to track one down.

I'll be back up at the Iron Range in September when my wife is back up in grand rapids.
I won't be able to do the craw for the cure this year as I'm busy every weekend with other weddings or stuff. I do want to do it next year. there are some events in the fall and one in the winter I want to try to do this year.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I definitely am going to try the Spider Lake trails because it’s not a far drive from where I live. Were there many other vehicles on the trail? Any mud or water crossings to go through? Just curious. Sounds like a fun trip!!

No mud or water crossing at Spider Lake Trails. Though the region has been through a big drought so that might be part of it. Yes, there were people on bikes and people on ATV's and people in offroad vehicles (Jeeps, and at least one Bronco besides me). I was there on a Friday afternoon, and there were people camping at the campsites, though there were at least 5 or so empty that I went by.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Washed the car today, pulling off the fender flairs to clean those off well. They are two-part plastic molds, and stiffening tunnels on the inner piece capture rocks and other crap when going offroad. So pulling them off and shaking them and cleaning them is a good thing to do.

The only damage from offroad is the paint protection film on the hood was torn, and there is a very light scratch, I can't even catch a fingernail on it on the passenger side rear fender. Only visible in bright direct sunlight; shocked, I caught it on the camera.

I think the hood one happened when I was at Spider Lake and some ATV's came the other direction on a trail I was on, and the only way to get out of the way was to pull into the brush which was pretty thick. Rear scratch, I have no idea. I went through a lot of brush, so if that's the only one, I guess no big sticks were hiding in it.
Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip PXL_20230701_203845328

Ford Bronco Spider Lake and Iron Range OHV Trails (Minnesota) Trip PXL_20230701_204020483

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some video I made from my trip. I didn't have a mount for my camera, so it's pretty basic. No music, just nature, and short.
Sponsored