Sponsored

Is getting this Bronco a smart decision?

eengineer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all,

I'm beyond excited to receive my bronco. I've just been contemplating whether it's a financially smart move.

About me: I'm a recent college grad taking home around $4k post-tax, rent, and insurance monthly. I have a variety of savings and investment accounts totalling around 90k. I have no debt and my previous car was a $3k rusty beater that I sold after the repairs started costing too much. I'm also in the very fortunate position that my parents do not need my help for anything. However, I do eat out a lot - all meals on weekends and usually also once a week.

Dilemma: I'm struggling to find the balance between spending $$ to live my life vs. saving money to be responsible. None of my friends my age are into cars and so most don't own one or have an econobox like a prius or civic. I've seen tons of financial videos that say to stick to the cheapest car possible and buy outright. If financing, they say to follow the 40/20/10 rule and never lease. However, I was planning on leasing my Bronco (Black Diamond base) and put just enough down to get it to under $400 a month for 3 years (I plan on changing cars often). I live in the city so I've been using public transit within the city and renting cars outside. IIn fact, I could also save around $300 a month by letting go of my apartment's parking spot (yeah, $$, tell me about it lol).

What are your thoughts? I'm content with my life as of now and feel guilty for getting this car. In a weird way, I feel like I don't deserve to have as nice of a car as this. It would also be my most expensive purchase by far. I don't mean to show off with this post but it seems like most people here have spun around the sun a bit more than me so I wanted to get your advice. My parents have always spent a lot of $$ on cars so they keep convincing me that I should get it lol.
Sponsored

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi all,

I'm beyond excited to receive my bronco. I've just been contemplating whether it's a financially smart move.

About me: I'm a recent college grad taking home around $4k post-tax, rent, and insurance monthly. I have a variety of savings and investment accounts totalling around 90k. I have no debt and my previous car was a $3k rusty beater that I sold after the repairs started costing too much. I'm also in the very fortunate position that my parents do not need my help for anything. However, I do eat out a lot - all meals on weekends and usually also once a week.

Dilemma: I'm struggling to find the balance between spending $$ to live my life vs. saving money to be responsible. None of my friends my age are into cars and so most don't own one or have an econobox like a prius or civic. I've seen tons of financial videos that say to stick to the cheapest car possible and buy outright. If financing, they say to follow the 40/20/10 rule and never lease. However, I was planning on leasing my Bronco (Black Diamond base) and put just enough down to get it to under $400 a month for 3 years (I plan on changing cars often). I live in the city so I've been using public transit within the city and renting cars outside. IIn fact, I could also save around $300 a month by letting go of my apartment's parking spot (yeah, $$, tell me about it lol).

What are your thoughts? I'm content with my life as of now and feel guilty for getting this car. In a weird way, I feel like I don't deserve to have as nice of a car as this. It would also be my most expensive purchase by far. I don't mean to show off with this post but it seems like most people here have spun around the sun a bit more than me so I wanted to get your advice. My parents have always spent a lot of $$ on cars so they keep convincing me that I should get it lol.
I'm not a financial advisor and you need to do what feels right financially for yourself, seems like you've already made some good decisions.

I think leasing is a good call on this though if you have the opportunity. It's a first year model that we KNOW is riddled with problems. If you are happy with it you can buy it after your lease it up, if not you can give it back and figure it out then.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh joy, another financial recommendation post, this should go well.

Ford Bronco Is getting this Bronco a smart decision? 1628705956935

Sponsored

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Financial gurus say drive a beater and save to pay cash for cars. I have listened to and rejected that advice at various times in my life. Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiosaki are probably better resources than this forum.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi all,

You sound like the most responsible young person I have heard from in a while. You are in a better financial position than many of existing BRONCO buyers. Go for it.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

99.9% of cars would not qualify as investments( leaving .1% for classic cars that can be sold later for a profit ). Buying a Bronco is a terrible financial choice, but what drew you to the Bronco wasn't it's fantastic economics. You're young and you sound like you're ok financially so it wouldn't be a disastrous financial choice. Finally like my notoriously cheap grandmother used to say before she passed: "There are no pockets in caskets"

Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You sound like the most responsible young person I have heard from in a while. You are in a better financial position than many of existing BRONCO buyers. Go for it.
Ditto this reply!!

You are way ahead of the game and life can be short. Not saying it will be, but it can be. You have done way more than people your age and should be proud. Leasing sounds like a better way to go for you.

SatTerra

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC Sierra, 320i GT BMW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We are not guaranteed another breath, if you can afford it then go for it. Don't live with I wish I did. Good luck.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cover your expenses.
Commit to a savings plan you are comfortable with.
Allow yourself to spend money on things that make you happy.

If you think driving the Bronco will make you happy, and it fits your budget, enjoy it as much as you can.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Buying a new car is rarely a finically smart choice. Especially when you are young. That said. It’s your money and I refuse to drive something I don’t want or enjoy.
Sponsored