broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have an Outer Banks with high package ordered. I'm always playing music so I'd like a decent sound system, which from what I've seen the base system isn't. I'm not interested in anything else from the Lux package, just the sound system. My questions is, is it worth the $2,300 increase from the high package just for the sound system, or am I better off putting some aftermarket system after it arrives, for a similar amount of money?
Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can make an aftermarket system sound better than B&O for $2.3K. But if you are not paying cash for the Bronco you have the benefit of the B&O cost being financed with the vehicle, and even though the B&O is not a fabulous system, it is FAR better than the base system. People debate the quality of B&O but reading through various posts it seems that a fair amount of people are satisfied with it.

OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can make an aftermarket system sound better than B&O for $2.3K. But if you are not paying cash for the Bronco you have the benefit of the B&O cost being financed with the vehicle, and even though the B&O is not a fabulous system, it is FAR better than the base system. People debate the quality of B&O but reading through various posts it seems that a fair amount of people are satisfied with it.
So I've never looked much into this. You think 2.3K includes labor and parts? I'm not too handy so idk if it's something I could do myself

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got the B&O system and I have no regrets whatsoever. I’d recommend it if you want something enjoyable day 1. I also like the extra features that came along with by ordering the LUX package.

Last edited:

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This.

If you have the cash upfront, upgrade the base system yourself.

Sponsored

timstrong20

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota Venza and 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I've never looked much into this. You think 2.3K includes labor and parts? I'm not too handy so idk if it's something I could do myself
You also get the wireless charging, heated steering wheel, and ACC I do believe.

jamtra

Wildtrak
First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have it in mine and it's not bad at all. It really depends on the quality of music you are playing. Streaming quality isn't great but it never is. If i play mp3s from usb and they are high quality, it sounds great to me. Most of my music I listen to heavy metal or rock. Bass is good but not great. I haven't had the top off to see how it works like that yet though.

BoogieMan1

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have an Outer Banks with high package ordered. I'm always playing music so I'd like a decent sound system, which from what I've seen the base system isn't. I'm not interested in anything else from the Lux package, just the sound system. My questions is, is it worth the $2,300 increase from the high package just for the sound system, or am I better off putting some aftermarket system after it arrives, for a similar amount of money?
Coming from a 2018 JLU Rubicon that has the Alpine stereo, I say no. My FE w/B&O sounds hollow in comparison, and is just OK…not impressive. That said, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of having an aftermarket sound system installed, it makes sense.

OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Coming from a 2018 JLU Rubicon that has the Alpine stereo, I say no. My FE w/B&O sounds hollow in comparison, and is just OK…not impressive. That said, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of having an aftermarket sound system installed, it makes sense.
When installing something aftermarket, do they have to take out a bunch of panels to wire things in, and there's a risk of something breaking? Complete beginner at this

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In short... No.. But if you think about changing your order just take everything else in the high package and ask yourself if you can live without it. I think that's what? Adaptive control, bigger screen etc.

I wanted a lux trim but they didn't offer it with BD... Same for the high. I'd love a bigger screen. I know I can do a better sound system.

Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The B&O is pretty good, not as good as the Fender system in our VW. Is it worth $2300 by itself? No, but IMO the adaptive cruise control is more important, and all the other stuff you get combined together for the lux is worth it as a package.

Note: if you do get B&O, make sure you set the sound mode to Surround, it makes a huge difference.

-g-funk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have it in mine and it's not bad at all. It really depends on the quality of music you are playing. Streaming quality isn't great but it never is. If i play mp3s from usb and they are high quality, it sounds great to me. Most of my music I listen to heavy metal or rock. Bass is good but not great. I haven't had the top off to see how it works like that yet though.
Agree 100%. It all depends on the source material. Most streaming services quality is pretty bad.

A buddy and I did a side by side audio comparison with my Badlands Lux with B&O and his Outer Banks with high Pkg. We tuned in to the same radio station and matched the sound settings. There was a very, very noticeable difference. B&O sounded crisper with much more bass.

And as others have mentioned, $2300 isn't just for the B&O. To me the added features of the Lux were worth it, except for the useless wireless charging which is terrible. Still, No regrets.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm very happy with it, open roof and windows down and still sounds great. I didn't expect any earth shattering wake up the neighbors system, nor would I want that. Can you get something "better" from an audio installer? Probably. Not worth the trouble for me. And ACC is fantastic on a long road trip, which always comes before I get anywhere close to trails for me. Full LUX package was worth the money to me and my situation.

Call around at dealers, maybe you can listen to it in one of their demos or what ever they might have on the lot.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes you can get a much better aftermarket sound for the same money. Given your not handy I would upgrade to lux if I were you. There’s no telling what an installer will cut and do to your brand new vehicle. The B&O sound system is probably plenty adequate for your needs.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I am 41, and have always been an audio guy but not one of those people who have to have the absolute best ... My buddy from growing up is a rich kid and total audiophile, and he's the kind of guy- and this kind of makes him a douchebag when you think about it - I asked him about B&O when I first reserved a Bronco, and he says - and I mean really now - "Well if you give me $20-$30K I can design you a real system...' ... uhh... dude ...

But I have always liked nice stereos in cars and I've had some that were awesome - 1998 Dodge Durango with an Infinity Sound System was GREAT! (and years later I upgraded everything with newer, better Infinity speakers and sub and amps etc.) - whereas, my old man had an (amazing) BMW Z3, which had a supposedly-super-premium Harmon & Kardon system, which flat-out sucked. I mean it was not just disappointing, it was borderline abysmal. I have the "premium" system in my Jeep - what is it, Alpine maybe? Which everyone on Earth agrees, is not nearly as impressive as it's supposed to be. It's cool, it works, it's just not really all that impressive.

I have only about 10 days with the Bronco and as I have said in other posts, not driven all that much because we're waiting to install mudflaps, we live on stone roads with a stone driveway and it's firing off rocks like an MP5K. But the time I have in it, I am digging the stereo. Is it going to win contests? Maybe not. But there are a few ways to look at it - and I know you specifically said you're looking at it from the valuation of paying for the Lux Package just for the stereo system ... - but you can't really look at it that way, since you DO get the extra stuff ... and I think it's worth it. Also, this is big for me - Our Wildtrak was over $60K , closer to $67? when you throw in tax tags destination delivery etc. - And so even if $2,500 from Crutchfield or the local pro shop gets you a better system , admittedly perhaps a significantly better system - you want some 19yr old dissecting your new $60K+ ride and rewiring it and then some small thing happens and Ford voids your warranty because someone installed a stereo. Any excuse to void a warranty is a good excuse for them.

Will I perhaps upgrade years down the road, like I did with the Durango? Maybe probably possibly. I spent 1998-2003 blasting TF out of the stock upgraded system, and eventually saved some paychecks and a tax return and decided to upgrade, and was glad to do so. By then the truck was still sweet but not exactly brand-new. Could I do the same thing with the Bronco? Never know. But to me, the Lux Package's features , especially the stereo, was worth it, and it sounds sweet enough to me. Of course, Your Mileage May Vary, Take It For What It's Worth ...
Sponsored