Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, F350, 4Runner, 52 Ford F1 RatRod
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an Outer Banks with high package ordered. I'm always playing music so I'd like a decent sound system, which from what I've seen the base system isn't. I'm not interested in anything else from the Lux package, just the sound system. My questions is, is it worth the $2,300 increase from the high package just for the sound system, or am I better off putting some aftermarket system after it arrives, for a similar amount of money?
We have a Big Bend with the lower sound system and a Badlands with the B&O.... HUGE difference. I was actually shocked of how much the difference was. even after replacing all the BB speakers.
Sponsored

OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's the professional build in my 2 door base.

Rockford Fosgate 5 way Amp. T1000X5AD ( fits easily under drivers seat)
Alpine 4 inch speakers S-S40 in dash and rear.
Alpine 6.5 inch speakers S-S65 in driver and passenger panels.
Focal slim enclosure w 8 inch sub PSB200. Fits beautifully on the side of the cargo area not taking up much space.

The audio system IMO is ridiculous! Reminds me of high school when my system was worth more than the vehicle.

If going this route, definitely find a reputable company. I used a company that has been doing this for over 40 years. In fact, they installed the audio system in my first car.

Full build for under $2,500. Cant even tell they were even in the vehicle.

Shout out to Kurtz Car Stereo in Traverse City, MI!

20220319_075608.jpg

20220319_074834.jpg

20220319_074824.jpg

20220319_074623.jpg
That looks great. I know nothing about this, are those pretty high level components, so I should expect to pay something around that range?

Robosurgass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alpine and Rockford Fosgate are quality components. I hadn't heard of Focal but my installer said that this was the sub that would work best. Thing really thumps!

Yes, I think you can get something you really love for around that price.

OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alpine and Rockford Fosgate are quality components. I hadn't heard of Focal but my installer said that this was the sub that would work best. Thing really thumps!

Yes, I think you can get something you really love for around that price.
Was hoping to spend closer to $1,500. Might do the speaker swap myself and bring it in to a shop for the amp and sub, or I'll just watch videos and try doing it myself over a weekend.

Have you had a chance to listen to a B&O system? Would love someone's comparison of an aftermarket system vs B&O

Robosurgass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have not heard the B&O system. Just knew the audio in the base was not going to get it done w the top off. Good luck and congrats on the Bronc! Absolutely love mine!

Sponsored
OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have not heard the B&O system. Just knew the audio in the base was not going to get it done w the top off. Good luck and congrats on the Bronc! Absolutely love mine!
I don't have mine yet so I'm just going based on what others say. I don't plan on taking the top off too often, if at all.

When you had a top on, and just the stock stereo, was it as garbage as everyone else makes it out to be? I'm not an audiophile, currently drive a 2015 mustang with a stock system and I'm happy with it

lostinva

Outer Banks
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4 (2019)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can make an aftermarket system sound better than B&O for $2.3K. But if you are not paying cash for the Bronco you have the benefit of the B&O cost being financed with the vehicle, and even though the B&O is not a fabulous system, it is FAR better than the base system. People debate the quality of B&O but reading through various posts it seems that a fair amount of people are satisfied with it.
I’m not sure that’s the case, I was at an installer yesterday talking about a different project but our Bronco came up. He had recently quoted a project to upgrade the speakers, amp, and after market sub with a custom box in the factory location. They wanted 6k using the factory Sync head unit. He said he could probably bring it in a for grand less but the guy he was working with had his heart set on specific components. Two disclaimers I live in NVA so that project is going to cost more here and this was a reputable shop. I don’t trust myself to pull apart my own vehicle and start running cable everywhere and if you are making an honest comparison building at MAP qualifies as a professional installation. You are also getting adaptive cruise which if you’ve never had is pretty nice and the wireless charger which I’ve also come to love.

Last edited:

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure that’s the case, I was at an installer yesterday day talking about a different project but our Bronco came up. He had recently quoted a project to upgrade the speakers, amp, and after market sub with a custom box in the factory location. They wanted 6k using the factory Sync head unit. He said he could probably bring it for grand less but they guy he was working with had his heart set on specific components. Two disclaimers I live in NVA so that project is going to cost more here and this was reputable shop. I don’t trust myself to pull apart my own vehicle and start running cable everywhere and if you are making an honest comparison building at map qualifies as a professional installation. You are also getting adaptive cruise which if you’ve never had is pretty nice and the wireless charger which I’ve also come to love.
All your points are good and valid, and the two big ones in your response are that the guy wanted "specific components", and your curiosity about whether or not this was a reputable shop.

In my long-term experience with car and home audio, I can attest to the fact that there is a wide range of cost/quality parameters for components, and the industry is filled with great examples of very costly systems that sound so-so and budget systems that sound great. If you know what you are doing (know what to buy), you can find budget speakers and amps that produce a GREAT soundstage with crisp highs, soft midrange, and firm/tight bass.

Ha, I just read a post last night on this forum where a guy said his "audiophile friend" told him that for $10K he could put in a killer system for him . . . what a load of BS! Sure, you CAN spend that much for car audio in a New York minute, but I can guarantee that you would not hear the difference between that system and one that is less than half the price with the right selection of components. I stand by the notion that $2.3K will buy you a decent sounding system FAR and away better than the base system and "as good" as the B&O system (and probably better with someone who knows what they are doing). Being an audiophile myself, it is easy to spot other persnickety, know-it-all audiophiles who needlessly tell you that you must have a certain brand or specific profile of components at such and such price to make a system sound good. Too much baloney out there . . . you would be surprised how much a system can be upgraded these days without breaking the bank.

lostinva

Outer Banks
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4 (2019)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All your points are good and valid, and the two big ones in your response are that the guy wanted "specific components", and your curiosity about whether or not this was a reputable shop.

In my long-term experience with car and home audio, I can attest to the fact that there is a wide range of cost/quality parameters for components, and the industry is filled with great examples of very costly systems that sound so-so and budget systems that sound great. If you know what you are doing (know what to buy), you can find budget speakers and amps that produce a GREAT soundstage with crisp highs, soft midrange, and firm/tight bass.

Ha, I just read a post last night on this forum where a guy said his "audiophile friend" told him that for $10K he could put in a killer system for him . . . what a load of BS! Sure, you CAN spend that much for car audio in a New York minute, but I can guarantee that you would not hear the difference between that system and one that is less than half the price with the right selection of components. I stand by the notion that $2.3K will buy you a decent sounding system FAR and away better than the base system and "as good" as the B&O system (and probably better with someone who knows what they are doing). Being an audiophile myself, it is easy to spot other persnickety, know-it-all audiophiles who needlessly tell you that you must have a certain brand or specific profile of components at such and such price to make a system sound good. Too much baloney out there . . . you would be surprised how much a system can be upgraded these days without breaking the bank.
Audio is so subjective too. What qualifies as good to someone may sound flat and boring to someone else. Thing with the bronco it needs to be loud cause once that top comes off and you hit fifty.. 🤟🏻 I meant to say that it was reputable shop though probably a bit on high end/snobby side but that’s northern va for ya.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Audio is so subjective too. What qualifies as good to someone may sound flat and boring to someone else. Thing with the bronco it needs to be loud cause once that top comes off and you hit fifty.. 🤟🏻 I meant to say that it was reputable shop though probably a bit on high end/snobby side but that’s northern va for ya.
I totally forgot to mention the subjective nature of listening . . . you are spot-on, great point!
Sponsored