Sponsored

KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal)

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The goal was to get closer to the 66'-77' fender style, and these fenders more than accomplished that.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001743

IMO this is how it should have come from factory.

This Bronco is a 2021 Big Bend in Area 51 with Mid pkg, Mod bumper/pushbar, Towing, and hardtop as the only options. It was a Ford Employee Lease vehicle that was delivered to my family 7/27/21, and then purchased post-lease 4/12/24 with 44,850 miles. We think it was an early production fill vehicle (just after PP, very early MP1 build) with the VIN indicating #636 off the line.

So there were almost three years of driving this vehicle without being allowed to add accessories, which had to change. From when the first announcement photos were released, I (and moreso my Dad, the Ford employee in this story) commented that the rounded fenders looked more like an IH Scout than a Bronco. So when aftermarket fenders started being released we watched keenly, originally liking the ADV fiberglass fenders but wincing at the finished price with paint. The KBD fenders looked spot on to the EB rear bolt on flairs, and was a much more reasonable $400 shipped, so I pulled the trigger.

Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001726

The old flairs came off smoothly, although with more rubber flecks and mini rust speckles on top of the paint than expected. Those came off with some Goo Gone and CLR for a 90% clean surface. Isopropyl got it squeaky clean.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001727

Ran out of sunlight to do it the install that night but was back at it the next day.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001740

The first fender went on very smooth, but it is important to pay close attention to where the front corner meets up with the lower grill trim piece so that it lines up.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001749

We mounted it just a hair low (or the flair doesn't perfectly match the body lines, to be expected with a rubber part) so that corner did not want to stick.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001751

To remedy this I used a heat gun on low to warm the body panel, flair, and 3M tape until it was almost too hot to touch. Then I wedged a cloth between the bumper and flair to apply pressure while I worked on the others. Using a small wood wedge I pressed the cloth onto the flair and rolled the rag underneath to apply horizontal pressure to the part (See MSpaint level diagram)
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001753

Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001741

I opted to do this wedging technique on all four corners when I was finished, and left them like this for ~24hrs to give those corners the best chance of staying attached. The tape provided on the parts is extremely sticky and feels very rigid, but I wonder how it will resist the rubber trying to return to it's factory shape. Time will tell.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001743

Final pay-off is this beauty! The flairs mount above the OEM design, making the wheel well appear quite a bit larger.

Now I just have to use the last 15% tread from the stock Dualer ATs so I can install these Black Diamond steelies:
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001725

And some 285/75r17 BFG K02s to fill out the wheel wells.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks good. I bought a set but havenā€™t had time to install them yet.

OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks good. I bought a set but havenā€™t had time to install them yet.
With the stock tire setup the edge of the tire matches the width of the flair at the top. With your wider setup it should have a perfect amount of poke!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

From when the first announcement photos were released, I (and moreso my Dad, the Ford employee in this story) commented that the rounded fenders looked more like an IH Scout than a Bronco.
Well Done!!! I much agree with you and your Dadā€™s first impressionsā€¦ Yours is the 1st KBD example on a 4dr weā€™ve seen in the Heritage Club thread(link added)ā€¦some White bits might add to the appealā€¦

Long live Nature Boy!!!

Last edited:

Bigred86

Black Diamond
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster48
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks good! Will you be painting them in the future or leaving them unpainted?

OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks good! Will you be painting them in the future or leaving them unpainted?
Plan is to leave them unpainted for the time being, but I could see Area 51 color match or black bedliner (something with texture to match the Mod bumper) looking good in the future.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well Done!!! I much agree with you and your Dadā€™s first impressionsā€¦ Yours is the 1st KBD example on a 4dr weā€™ve seen in the Heritage Club thread(link added)ā€¦some White bits might add to the appealā€¦

Long live Nature Boy!!!
I've considered trying to go for a Heritage build, but I haven't done so because I would want to basically paint every gray piece in Wimbledon White, and that just isn't gonna be feasible. I like the Heritage Edition look but I'm not a huge fan of having MIC gray and white accents on the same vehicle.

I've got lots of ideas to make mine have a nice blend of retro and modern, like Archetype Script badges, steelies, and a BD grill with the surround painted A51.

It's fun having a project vehicle that is reliable enough to daily.

Also, the MTB in your profile pic matches the Cactus Gray perfectly!

B22-2023

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1977 Bronco, 2023 T4R TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The goal was to get closer to the 66'-77' fender style, and these fenders more than accomplished that.
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1713223867152-0f

IMO this is how it should have come from factory.

This Bronco is a 2021 Big Bend in Area 51 with Mid pkg, Mod bumper/pushbar, Towing, and hardtop as the only options. It was a Ford Employee Lease vehicle that was delivered to my family 7/27/21, and then purchased post-lease 4/12/24 with 44,850 miles. We think it was an early production fill vehicle (just after PP, very early MP1 build) with the VIN indicating #636 off the line.

So there were almost three years of driving this vehicle without being allowed to add accessories, which had to change. From when the first announcement photos were released, I (and moreso my Dad, the Ford employee in this story) commented that the rounded fenders looked more like an IH Scout than a Bronco. So when aftermarket fenders started being released we watched keenly, originally liking the ADV fiberglass fenders but wincing at the finished price with paint. The KBD fenders looked spot on to the EB rear bolt on flairs, and was a much more reasonable $400 shipped, so I pulled the trigger.

Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1713223867152-0f

The old flairs came off smoothly, although with more rubber flecks and mini rust speckles on top of the paint than expected. Those came off with some Goo Gone and CLR for a 90% clean surface. Isopropyl got it squeaky clean.

Ran out of sunlight to do it the install that night but was back at it the next day.

The first fender went on very smooth, but it is important to pay close attention to where the front corner meets up with the lower grill trim piece so that it lines up.

We mounted it just a hair low (or the flair doesn't perfectly match the body lines, to be expected with a rubber part) so that corner did not want to stick.

To remedy this I used a heat gun on low to warm the body panel, flair, and 3M tape until it was almost too hot to touch. Then I wedged a cloth between the bumper and flair to apply pressure while I worked on the others. Using a small wood wedge I pressed the cloth onto the flair and rolled the rag underneath to apply horizontal pressure to the part (See MSpaint level diagram)

I opted to do this wedging technique on all four corners when I was finished, and left them like this for ~24hrs to give those corners the best chance of staying attached. The tape provided on the parts is extremely sticky and feels very rigid, but I wonder how it will resist the rubber trying to return to it's factory shape. Time will tell.

Final pay-off is this beauty! The flairs mount above the OEM design, making the wheel well appear quite a bit larger.

Now I just have to use the last 15% tread from the stock Dualer ATs so I can install these Black Diamond steelies:

And some 285/75r17 BFG K02s to fill out the wheel wells.
I am putting mine on this week, questions:
- it comes with a screw kit to use the factory flare holes, I assume that will help keep the rubber in shape. Did you use that kit?
- if you did, since I no longer have my flare quick-releases for the rear, does it look like the rear can be secured via another method? I was thinking an M6 bolt, fender washer and nut set up for those holes.

OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
- it comes with a screw kit to use the factory flare holes, I assume that will help keep the rubber in shape. Did you use that kit?
- if you did, since I no longer have my flare quick-releases for the rear, does it look like the rear can be secured via another method? I was thinking an M6 bolt, fender washer and nut set up for those holes.
Let me take a photo of the rear setup, but it seems like that would work.

OP
OP
Reidt131

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001756

So I think your plan of bolting it in will work, the backside of the fastener can be accessed by bending the inner cover. I would recommend a fender washer on both sides, as the hole the factory fasteners install in is rectangular.

To answer your other question, I did use the factory bolt kit, but it only holds the fender in position. The double sided tape ensures good fit finish where the fender meets the body panel. I am having one of the corners peel up, but I think some more double sided tape will fix that.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Looks like the fender clips are $11 for 4 from the Ford parts department if you wanted to go that route.

Last edited:

B22-2023

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1977 Bronco, 2023 T4R TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco KBD Fender Flairs installed on a stock Big Bend 4dr (and mini Build Journal) 1000001756

So I think your plan of bolting it in will work, the backside of the fastener can be accessed by bending the inner cover. I would recommend a fender washer on both sides, as the hole the factory fasteners install in is rectangular.

To answer your other question, I did use the factory bolt kit, but it only holds the fender in position. The double sided tape ensures good fit finish where the fender meets the body panel. I am having one of the corners peel up, but I think some more double sided tape will fix that.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Looks like the fender clips are $11 for 4 from the Ford parts department if you wanted to go that route.
Thanks for responding. And I went ahead and ordered those clips.
Sponsored