First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX 2-door Bronco, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just took possession of my '23 OBX 2-door and I bought the Bestop as an option with it. My issue is that I went to lock the console and glove compartment, but the key doesn't even fit the hole, let alone lck them. I think they changed the profile of the key and cut a milled slot instead of being open to one edge on each side.

Basically, it looks like this:
Ford Bronco Key won't fit glovebox or console laser-key

When it should look like this:
Ford Bronco Key won't fit glovebox or console Smart-Car-Key

Since the key slot looks like this:
Ford Bronco Key won't fit glovebox or console Key Slot

My dealer is looking into why this happened, but has no idea what is going on. I'm wondering if Ford changed the key profile, but had extra inventory of the old lock cylinders. It almost doesn't make sense that this is possible if there were any quality checks that included locking the console and glove compartment, but then again, they may have a master key they use for that rather than the actual unit key.

Anybody else see this or know what's going on? Frustrating that I can't lock my stuff up with the soft-top open.

Edit: Removed confusing VW key image.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’re using the key that’s inserted in the end of the key fob…right? Hard to tell from pics.

OP
OP
tracr

tracr

Outer Banks
First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You’re using the key that’s inserted in the end of the key fob…right? Hard to tell from pics.
Yes. It is the one from the FOB. I just used a stock photo of the style of cut from another brand for the post since I'm paranoid that posting a picture of my actual key is not wise.

OP
OP
tracr

tracr

Outer Banks
First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update: Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but I tried my key in the door to manually unlock them, and it won't fit there either! Best guess is I have the entire wrong key... Both sets of keys are the same, so I'm at a total loss as to how this could possibly happen. There must be no quality checks that include using the key for anything. So far I'm not convinced it will do anything for me.

Elmosaurus

Badlands
First Name
Elton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco 2dr BL & ‘22 Ranger SCrew Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update: Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but I tried my key in the door to manually unlock them, and it won't fit there either! Best guess is I have the entire wrong key... Both sets of keys are the same, so I'm at a total loss as to how this could possibly happen. There must be no quality checks that include using the key for anything. So far I'm not convinced it will do anything for me.
This is an interesting thought. We should probably be doing this check at delivery as part of the OCD checklist. I’m sure with some dealers convincing them to cut you a new key for free may be a challenge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tracr

tracr

Outer Banks
First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is an interesting thought. We should probably be doing this check at delivery as part of the OCD checklist. I’m sure with some dealers convincing them to cut you a new key for free may be a challenge.
My dealer seems to be reacting how I'd hoped for the most part. They have already contacted Ford, whose solution appears to be lock cylinder replacement rather than cutting a new key. A key would definitely be easier if they were confident of how it should be cut. At this point, it appears that they are NOT confident in how it should be cut, so new cylinders is the safest route. Oh well. It drives fine without a key to lock the console, so at least there's that!

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have to check this, didn't even cross my mind...

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At this point, it appears that they are NOT confident in how it should be cut, so new cylinders is the safest route.
If the 3 new lock cylinders come with the proper key (hopefully matching) you should be good to go. I just tested my key and luckily it works the glove box and center console.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Of course this means there is another person who will experience the same thing. BTW, did you option the BestTop shade cover for your two door? If so, then lots of luck. I optioned the canvas shade top. The plastic insert into the metal brace broke. Tried to contact BestTop about a year ago. After months of no contact they eventually sent me the entirely wrong part. New attempts to communicate with them has failed as well. My suggestion, buy a shade top from someone else.

OP
OP
tracr

tracr

Outer Banks
First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW, did you option the BestTop shade cover for your two door?
I got the full Trektop soft-top from BesTop ordered as an option through Ford, but haven't gotten a shade cover in addition yet. May just buy one of the cheap ones on Amazon, although I don't like that they use uncoated metal hooks directly on the factory paint to install. May see if I can replace them with some plastic hooks.

I had no issues installing the soft top on my own. Everything fits really well and no waviness to the windows like I've seen on the factory 4-door soft top.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the full Trektop soft-top from BesTop ordered as an option through Ford, but haven't gotten a shade cover in addition yet. May just buy one of the cheap ones on Amazon, although I don't like that they use uncoated metal hooks directly on the factory paint to install. May see if I can replace them with some plastic hooks.

I had no issues installing the soft top on my own. Everything fits really well and no waviness to the windows like I've seen on the factory 4-door soft top.
The shade canvas top worked and fit well until it broke. The issue is the customer service with Bestop. Well that and the design of the plastic piece inserted into the metal brace which is a huge design flaw.

BBoyM3

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FYI

My glove box arrived gouged. So, the dealership ordered me a new one. The new glove box arrived without a lock. However, the lock in the original glove cannot be removed without destroying the orignal glove box. I reached out the FordParts.com. They did some research and claim the glove box lock cannot be removed and the new glove box should have come with a new lock. They claim the new lock is "somewhat universal" and my key(s) should work with it. The dealership is still researching it to confirm Whether FordParts.com is correct or not. Will update when resolved.

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just pulled mine out of the fob and looked at it. Mine looks like the one in your second picture, not the first.
Sponsored