solar

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - 2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just thought I’d pop on here to give you guys a look at the King 4WD roof rack. I’m in the beginning stage of what will probably be a very slow and just as low budget build on my beloved bronco. And being that I was a first day reservation holder and actually volunteered to push off my reservation until 22 (sorry you guys who are still anxiously waiting), I’m in no rush. I waited 32 years,from the day I got my drivers license, to actually own a bronco and my dreams for the most part finally came true. It’s dirty, but that’s just because more time is spent driving and wheeling than time for cleaning…….and I’m lazy.

Ok so to the real reason for the post. Just installed the King 4WD Roof Rack…..Been on the forums multiple times waiting to see if anyone would post some pics of their newly installed King 4Wd roof rack to get more info but just never happened. Have been going back and forth between the Raptor Gobi rack and this one for the last year mainly because I want a rack the doesn’t mount on or come into contact with the roof. There is no info out there for this one other than a couple of photoshopped images.

Well the price was unbeatable for Black Friday, just over $1000 (I also found a code online that brought the price down significantly) and compared to the price for the Gobi, I decided to be the guinea pig. Plus I found out the company I bought it from……*wait for the name drop* "Overland Vehicle Systems" is about 40 miles from me so if I truly hated it I could just drive it back to them instead of paying any shipping.

Ok so anyways to answer the obvious questions. I called OVS and asked them what the ratings were on this because it is nowhere on any site. They told me 300lb dynamic, 850lb Static….they could be blowing air up my .....… but hopefully there is some truth in there. I guess we’ll wait and see.

And for the next question I’ve seen floating around. Yes you can remove the front and middle roof panels with this mounted. You just need to take off the front cross bar for the front and if you’d like to remove the middle take off the second one. But the over hang on the sides does not impede anything because the panels come out through the top.

Install was ok…instructions are fairly good, just wish they had a better parts list and identification. But just go slow and take your time….took about 3 hours and slow moving on my part.

Only downside, but not sure yet if it’s a real downside is the ladder that attaches under the back. That metal is about 1/4” thick so it raised the back cover. Think body lift. It doesn’t look terrible and they do give you some heavy duty dense foam with adhesive to take up the spaces next to where the bottom of the ladder installs (wish they would have made the ladder base the whole length) but there are a couple of gaps so I’ll most likely grab some foam weather stripping to put in the cracks.

Now being that it raised the back it also raised the back end of the middle panel. Tried to show it in the pics the best I could. The seal looks ok between the middle and rear panels but time will tell if there might be some leaks. There was a noticeable gap just above the back door window but over night it settled and is not as big, but it is still there.

And last question which I’m not sure everyone cares about, but I hated that big block, in the photoshopped pics, of the front where the lights mount….in all the pictures it just looks massive and ill proportioned. Well in real life it doesn’t look that bad and the best part is you don’t have to install it if you don’t want to. I of course chose not to. Now I just gotta find someone to fabricate some covers for the front mounts so it looks finished. But I got it up to about 85 today on the freeway and it was maybe a little bit noisier and I didn’t have the radio on. But by default I usually travel around with the radio between 12-15 so it drowns out all the noise these broncos are known for.

The finish is nice, welds aren’t the greatest but everything fit with out much hassle and I needed minimal help to get it installed, but mostly did it myself.

Overall I’m pleased, Once installed and tightened down this think is stout and solid.

If you're on a budget and don’t want to pay the Bronco tax this might be a great alternative. And the great part no crazy branding....Mine just has OVS on the bottom steps of the ladder.

So hopefully this preliminary review was helpful…. And if I do this right there should be some pictures below. Sorry they’re not the greatest of quality and I didn’t take any photos during the install, but realized it was getting late and the son was going down so just snapped some real quick.
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 1
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 2
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 3
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 4
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 5
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 6
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 7
Ford Bronco King 4WD Roof Rack For My Very Very Very slow build Bronco 8
Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks nice but I bet it's gonna leak,squirt it with a hose.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - 2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe...... was thinking I would hit it with a hose sometime today or tomorrow just to see.

My biggest concern isn't the horizontal gaps cause water would have to be squirted up into it to even possibly get in and they all over hang from the top....I'm just concerned for the seal along the top between the middle panel and back. I know that things are designed a certain way and when you start messing with fit sometimes problems come up.......but I'm also in SoCal so the amount of rain we usually get here (other than 2022) is far and few between.

I also work with a lot of metal fabrication houses so was thinking might try to pull a favor and have one of them CNC a new ladder base and make it go the whole length of the tub (front to back). Then the back would be pretty much sealed. I could even rework the ladder area. to see if I can make it wider to hold a couple of rotopax on each side. Cause I know I'll never actually use the ladder.

Everything's a work in progress.

But yeah, first sign of a leak.....that things comin off. But I'm only in it for about $1000 at this point if I do get burned.

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice, been looking for a real world review on this ovs roof rack. Looking at this specifically because like you said, looking for option that doesn't mount directly to the hard top.

Did you find out if there is any leaks from the rear hard top?

OP
OP
solar

solar

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - 2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice, been looking for a real world review on this ovs roof rack. Looking at this specifically because like you said, looking for option that doesn't mount directly to the hard top.

Did you find out if there is any leaks from the rear hard top?
Also from SoCal, LA area....So we did have a little rain last few days....I checked and nothing....but got busy installing a roof top tent and forgot to do the hose thing. As soon as I get it dialed in I'll try to put some water on it. Hopefully by this weekend.
Sponsored