Sponsored

Left foot braking

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm thinking for off-road driving where it's nice to be able to smoothly put in a little bit of brake without letting completely off the gas in some situations. For me, in a corner it's nice to be able to use a bit of left foot braking to get the weight to transfer onto the front and you can do it smoother by keeping a bit of gas on. It's also useful when navigating slow trails to keep everything smooth.
You talking about trail braking offroad. Makes sense, just never thought about it before.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OX1 don't the newer ones have launch control also ?? (two step as it's called) :):)

It used to be you had to buy an MSD box for that but I have read that Ford has it "programmed" in the ECM now. It's like Ford brags about their traction control vs. a human in launching the car at the strip. I think the quote was "If you think your good just try it back to back"

This being said I think Ford would have some "mode" that would enable the enthusiasts to enjoy control of their Bronco. They did employ the use of off road experts in the development of the Bronco, so I would be willing to bet they listened, seeing what they have done with the Mustang over the years.

Daredevil mode would be a good one for that. :LOL::LOL: If I can put it on 2 wheels then I should be able to do 9 mile long burnouts !!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, new one's have it (with PP1 at least). You can do a poor mans trans brake on the 6R80.

https://svtperformance.com/threads/...h-a-stock-converter-before-and-after.1025019/

Would hope there is some mode that also turns off stability control. I'm sure the electronics will help in some scenarios (like poor mans lockers), but if I'm in a situation were I don''t want "help", I don't want it doing things that may even counteract what I'm trying to do.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, new one's have it (with PP1 at least). You can do a poor mans trans brake on the 6R80.

https://svtperformance.com/threads/...h-a-stock-converter-before-and-after.1025019/

Would hope there is some mode that also turns off stability control. I'm sure the electronics will help in some scenarios (like poor mans lockers), but if I'm in a situation were I don''t want "help", I don't want it doing things that may even counteract what I'm trying to do.

Cool article. :) Glad to see some old style trickery still working. :LOL:

Secondly ……….. Exactly !!! I don't need a computer to "out think" me. I have experience and know what I want to do just let me do it. HAHA.

Engineerd

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You might not need to. Don't forget about Trail Control!
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-road-cruise-control-to-2019-f-150-rapto.html

Haha! In all seriousness I doubt they would not allow you to left foot brake, especially if you are in 4Lo. It allows so much more control in low speed off roading. You can keep the rpms up just enough to keep the converter up and use the brake as a throttle. It makes technical off roading way smoother.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing prevents left foot breaking on the Raptor, I'm sure it'll be the same with Bronco. Raptor Assault teaches left foot trail braking.

Sponsored

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am assuming you attended the school? Feel it was worth it? Who were the instructors?
Yup, can't remember names since it was a few years ago but they were experienced and helpful. Definitely worth it for free ninety nine. I road tripped up and camped nearby.

Engineerd

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Glad to hear it. It would be great if they did something similar for the Bronco.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Glad to hear it. It would be great if they did something similar for the Bronco.
yeah, my gt350 was crashed and gone before i could do the track attack and would like to be able to do something similar when i get the bronco

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting, thanks for the explanation. If you are already driving at high rpm, say 5000, and drag the brake what happens? Does the throttle cut abruptly until it gets back down below the lower rev limit?
just tried it in my 2019.5 Chevy Silverado 5.3. Traction control off. Manual gear mode. 3rd gear hitting ~4000rpm. Hit the brakes. Throttle cuts down to like2000 rpm. No torque at all. Just enough to keep the torque converter going.

cruising normally you can almost come to a stop with your foot still on the gas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jalisurr

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
just tried it in my 2019.5 Chevy Silverado 5.3. Traction control off. Manual gear mode. 3rd gear hitting ~4000rpm. Hit the brakes. Throttle cuts down to like2000 rpm. No torque at all. Just enough to keep the torque converter going.

cruising normally you can almost come to a stop with your foot still on the gas.
Good to know, thanks! That's exactly the behavior I would not want in the Bronco, but from what other people are saying it sounds like Ford doesn't do it that way.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Did you turn off stability as well?

Hold down the traction control button for like 10 seconds (that's how the older ones were anyway).

It should be possible.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you turn off stability as well?

Hold down the traction control button for like 10 seconds (that's how the older ones were anyway).

It should be possible.
Maybe. I noticed down shifting one more gear makes a little difference but your still not at full power Vs cable driven throttle.

the truck is a damn super computer. When you shut it off it sounds like a transformer. Switches relays and servos all clicking buzzing and whining. It’s weird. Even like 20 seconds after.
Sponsored