Sponsored

Lodging recommendations for Austin Off-Rodeo?

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you have never been to Austin you really should check it out. I have been here 10 years and the congestion during the regular school year is no fun but it’s the summer and so that is way down. We have great food trucks and walking lady bird lake os pleasant. It’s a top 5 town in the country.
Sponsored

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They prefer you stay at Horseshoe Bay resort so they shuttle you to and fro. Price isn't horrible and there are several things to do for kids big and small.
You can park at the offrodeo site I have been there.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can park at the offrodeo site I have been there.
Oh, didn't know that. When we were there for the dealer drives we HAD to stay there. Supposedly there is some relationship with the owners of HBR and the ground the OR is on. Can't confirm accuracy of that info. though.

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Booked at Horseshoe Bay but for the small amount time we would actually be there almost $800 was a bit high. So we'll be at Holiday inn at Marble Falls. I can spend the money I save on bronco stuff.

Madmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Ram 1500/ 2019 VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is unfortunate you try reduce an entire city rich with culture and interesting events, restaurants, bars, and history down to four offensive sentences. I think that says a lot about you as a person, and less about Austin.

Every city has it's issues but if you've never been it's a cool place to visit. You won't see what this person is trying to say, I can almost guarantee that. The bats under the bridge at night are super cool to see, the restaurants are amazing, food trucks like someone else mentioned, the top tier hotels are going to be exceptional and may cost less than the place the offroadeo recommends... It's a nice option for someone who hasn't been. I think people should go see it if they get a chance. Austin is pretty cool.
Unfortunately those four offensive sentences are correct. Every city does have it's issues but why steer someone towards the issues? I have lived and worked in Austin for many years and the decline is quite obvious. Marble Falls, Horseshoe Bay and Fredericksburg are all great places.

Sponsored

JBHillCountry

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Land Cruiser, 2022 F250, 2022 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Austin reminds me of San Francisco now. Both were once great cities, but policies have allowed them to let the homeless overrun each. Sad for residents of each.

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This thread is interesting... I love Austin but downtown is really something else now. Lady Bird Lake has homeless ppl and trash all up and down it. It isn't too dangerous, but I am sure bonding over homeless people doing drugs and screaming is less than ideal.

The city is centered around drinking and partying, which isn't good for 13yr olds. Get a reservation out @ Hamilton Pool if you have some free time and want to take the Bronco to a natural wonder.

The actual people we have moving to Austin aren't great either...

FWIW these are my personal opinions as someone who has lived in downtown Austin for about a decade now.

YTFORD

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST & 2020 GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Born and raised in Austin. I would try to stay out in Marble Falls if you can.

We are going to the Off-Rodeo and are gonna crash at a family friends lakehouse probably instead of driving back and forth from Buda.

If you are into beer there are some great breweries around Austin but downtown is full of bums and trash these days sadly.

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you are taking your bronco to the off rodeo. You may want to check out the hidden falls adventure park. I have never been but while driving around looking for the off rodeo I found the wheeling park.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Currently in Austin, after attending the off-roadeo.

The Horshoe resort was alright, but the way our schedule worked out we didn't really get a chance to take advantage of the on-site events like s'mores or the nature walk. Maybe if you had family that didn't want to attend the off-roadeo it would be a good place to spend the day while you are out driving. I probably would have stayed elsewhere (i.e. cheaper) if I had known this beforehand.

Parking at the event was a non-issue (we drove because there were three of us, but the shuttles were running constantly and seemed convenient.)

If you have the time, checkout Lonestar cave and enchanted rock. Also the pottery ranch was kinda fun way to kill 1/2hr. Innerspace cave is closer to Austin, but was overrun with famlies when we went. Maybe during the week it would be less crowded.

Regarding Austin, the capital building was a nice place to wander around. Plenty of great food; haven't had a bad taco yet. 6th street is not really my speed, but it's probably worth walking by at 9 or 10PM just to take it in. The bats under the bridge were later coming out (they come out later on hot days), so they were difficult to see. Still would recommend it. There's the Yeti store nearby, if you need to duck in for some A/C. We're going to go check out south Congress st today, and maybe the park west of downtown, but there aren't a lot of "attractions" I would go out of my way to see.

There are homeless people, but we haven't had any issues.

We stayed at the Fairmont, next to the convention center. I was hoping the rooftop pool would have been nice, but its just packed sun-up until it closes. 37 floors of guests, and only like 100 beach chairs. Needs to be twice as big, at least.

The walking path from the hotel to congress bridge along the "lake" is not lit at all, so bring a flashlight, or just take surface streets if you're headed to see the bats.

I might update this after we check out some more spots today, but I wouldn't budget more than 2 days to do Austin.

Sponsored

Bmars1127

Wildtrak
First Name
Bobbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We will be there 30 & 31st! Did you decide on a place? Sorry if you answered- I’m just seeing this thread!
We found an Airbnb near Lake LBJ.
Sponsored