Sponsored

Looks like my Transmission is leaking. What do you think?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree! I took it to the dealer and they put dye in the motor and no signs of it leaking yet. They said to drive it for a week or so and bring it back to see if the dye appears. I think one of two things. Either the tech who changed my oil there was so sloppy that he sprayed oil all over or the plastic drain plug is worn and needs to be replaced. I asked about that and he said it should be replaced every 2-3 oil changes. I only have 12000 miles and changed oil twice now. My guess is they were just sloppy which isn't surprising. We will see.
I change my own oil. I have the 2.3 motor. Once bash plate is removed the drain plug is simple. Getting the filter off is another thing altogether. Front tires must be turned all the way to the right. Ratchet with one long extension, one short extension and one swivel connected to the filter “ cap style” wrench and there you go. Unfortunately Oil drains from the filter as you remove. There is a built in drain chute but actually pulling the filter out through the wheel well is when spills occur. I am curious about the “ replace the oil pan plug”mention. I have not been able to find actual documentation stating it needs to be replaced after a few changes. My metal plug seems rather sturdy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I change my own oil. I have the 2.3 motor. Once bash plate is removed the drain plug is simple. Getting the filter off is another thing altogether. Front tires must be turned all the way to the right. Ratchet with one long extension, one short extension and one swivel connected to the filter “ cap style” wrench and there you go. Unfortunately Oil drains from the filter as you remove. There is a built in drain chute but actually pulling the filter out through the wheel well is when spills occur. I am curious about the “ replace the oil pan plug”mention. I have not been able to find actual documentation stating it needs to be replaced after a few changes. My metal plug seems rather sturdy.
2.3L doesn’t have a plastic oil drain plug… it’s metal. The 2.7 eco boost is plastic and the O-rings on these reusable ones need to be replaced.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2.3L doesn’t have a plastic oil drain plug… it’s metal. The 2.7 eco boost is plastic and the O-rings on these reusable ones need to be replaced.
Was just going to mention that.

Usually however any plug that has a copper gasket (don't know if the 2.3 does) most manufacturers call for replacing the copper gasket everytime it is removed. Promoted by the copper miming industry

mbdlds

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just remove the oil filter by crawling under the driver side door and reaching up along where the oil trough/drain is for the filter. I did the through the tire way first and found it more difficult.
Sponsored