Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what is this sorcery? is that a custom made bracket?
ha! No sorcery, just a bit of time with the welder.

here’s what it looks like with out the tire and tracks. I used a rough country reinforcement plate and built the mount off of that.

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco DBC6663E-EBBD-471F-A3DE-8C573E05A845

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Finally figured out how to effectively mount these on the spare. I had previously used my Rok Strap solution with my old Jeep, and was able to attach those directly to the spare wheel spokes in a way that kept the traction boards on there solidly.

However, the spoke design of the Sasquatch OEM wheels, as well as how tight the spare is on the tailgate, made that approach unworkable. It also wouldn't work without blocking the rear view camera, which was in the way.

After a bit of tinkering and staring at some of the other spare tire cargo solutions out there, I found that adding only a single ratchet strap would make this work, because I could then attach the Rok Straps directly to the ratchet strap.

A 10 foot by 2-inch endless loop ratchet strap from CustomTieDowns.com was only about $12 plus shipping, making this whole solution about $35 plus shipping.

It's simple, lightweight, strong, and doesn't block the rearview camera, rear proximity sensors, brake lights, nor the driver's rear view out the back.

The ratchet strap also doubles as a perfect-length strap to carry for setting tire beads on the trail, and I think more things could be attached to that core strap to carry more gear on the spare.

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.54.51 PM

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.55.23 PM

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.55.44 PM

Last edited:

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Finally figured out how to effectively mount these on the spare. I had previously used my Rok Strap solution with my old Jeep, and was able to attach those directly to the spare wheel spokes in a way that kept the traction boards on there solidly.

However, the spoke design of the Sasquatch OEM wheels, as well as how tight the spare is on the tailgate, made that approach unworkable. It also wouldn't work without blocking the rear view camera, which was in the way.

After a bit of tinkering and staring at some of the other spare tire cargo solutions out there, I found that adding only a single ratchet strap would make this work, because I could then attach the Rok Straps directly to the ratchet strap.

A 10 foot by 2-inch endless loop ratchet strap from CustomTieDowns.com was only about $12 plus shipping, making this whole solution about $35 plus shipping.

It's simple, lightweight, strong, and doesn't block the rearview camera, rear proximity sensors, brake lights, nor the driver's rear view out the back.

The ratchet strap also doubles as a perfect-length strap to carry for setting tire beads on the trail, and I think more things could be attached to that core strap to carry more gear on the spare.

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.55.44 PM

Do you notice much of an increase in aerodynamic drag or wind noise when you’re running this setup at highway speed?

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is what I ended up doing…

Sponsored

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Shelby Hall Racing mounted her set up here. This area makes the most sense to me. Doesn't block the camera or the rear mirror. Doesn't interfere with the hinge. When I was checking out her ride I could see they used a hand welded up bracket behind the pads for the straps to wrap around. They had a pin up high that went though the pads and held them. I wish I could have taken better pictures of the rack setup. This thing worked solid through the 1000 miles of Baja racing, as I tried to keep up with her.

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco 20230413_064450

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco 20230416_120258

[/QUOTE]

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the same solution I'm trying to accommodate. Wondering if the boards hit the tailgate when the swing gate is fully open.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the same solution I'm trying to accommodate. Wondering if the boards hit the tailgate when the swing gate is fully open.
You could just get a tailgate limiter like the one @Mountains2Metal offers...

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could just get a tailgate limiter like the one @Mountains2Metal offers...
Thanks. HammerBuilt has one as well (and I'm favoring their tailgate reinforcement at the moment). I was wanting to limit how much, if any, limitation I put on the function of the swing gate - which is why I was looking to mount higher up on the back side of the tire (instead of on the accessory racks that mount to the reinforcement plates).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s what we went with. And yes, your traction boards canbreak your taillights if they hit it.
Is it still on their site? I couldn't find it over the holiday weekend.

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it still on their site? I couldn't find it over the holiday weekend.
I put a direct link in the video description on YouTube.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there any interest if I modified this bracket to effectively remove the molle grates putting the traction boards closer to being flush with the rollbar? I haven’t ventured down this path because I believe it would block your rearview mirror. The only other option would be to make it articulate which would add a lot to the price.

The biggest challenge as is is that the soft top cross bracing follows the curve of the roll bar when you retract to the fully retracted position.
https://puravidaoffroad.com/products/traction-board-bracket
Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco IMG_9812
Sponsored