Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most recent modification is installation of a Yaesu FTM-400XDR. I chose this radio because its the same one the desert camping crew that's adopted me uses. I am going to roll out also with my Baofeng BF-F8HP so that I can bring it with me when leaving the vehicle for one reason or another, as well as a Wouxon KG-805G so that I can monitor GMRS frequencies very easily without the hassle of having to program all of them into the Baofeng (which technically is not licensed for use with GMRS anyway).

Originally I intended to mount it to the back of the fusebox under the dash as another member had done, but I didn't really grok the ninja moves required to get that fusebox out! I was able to get all the cables free, but the box was just to big for the hole. Perhaps if I had removed even more of the dash I would not have been defeated.

For the time being, the radio itself is mounted using Scotch-Mount heavy-duty double sided tape to the drivers side of the center console. I'm only 5'7" and I got lucky with placement as the front seat is right up against the bracket in my driving position. The radio does touch my leg while riding but so far I've gotten used to it. Routing a wire for the control was VERY easy. Remove the bronco bolts holding the left grip and then gently pull it outward away from the vehicle. You can push the trim apart enough to easily get a cable in there though it may pinch it a bit. The control panel is temporarily mounted using the Yaesu bracket, but I'll be more permanently mounting it on a 67 designs arm going forward. I do need to sort out a place to clip the microphone.

View attachment 240780

View attachment 240781

View attachment 240782

Pros of this radio position:
No extension speaker or microphone extension wiring necessary

Cons of this position:
Cramps driver leg room a bit, but I'm not a big guy, doesn't bother me
Obviously not WATER/liquid friendly, I may look into some kind of shield

I have the JCR offroad Molle bracket incoming, and I'm intending to ditch the double sided tape and mount the radio either there, or perhaps on the passenger side. I know Archetype is also working on a solution for the grab handle. Suprisingly this double sided tape is NOT budging.

Antenna Mount for hood: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQQJ7CN/
Radio: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014544
Scotch-Mount Tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUEN2GK/
Great pics and writeup! I currently only have an HT but the 400XDR the mobile unit I've been eyeing. A couple of questions. Does the antenna interfere with raising the hood? Is it possible to add the lip mount to the fender or is the shape too weird?
Sponsored

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finals Specs: Badlands 4-Door Soft-Top, Area51 Blue, 2.7L, High Package, Sasquatch Package

10/6/2021 8Mi: After 449 days (and an 8 mile test drive) I took ownership of the vehicle from Gosch Ford in Escondido,CA. They honored their commitment to sell at MSRP, and were really great throughout the whole process. I probably changed my order drastically at least 8 times, at reservation time (June 2020) I had gone extremely conservative and picked out a Big Bend trim. I placed an order the first day the order banks were open in January 2021, a 4-Door Outer Banks with the MIC top, 2.3L, and mid package, and towing. Over the next 3 or so months I would option up to the 2.7L, add leather, add the high package. At some point in there (just prior to MIC top fiascos) I had moved up to a Wildtrak mostly because it came with the 2.7L and Sasquatch gear. As rollout of Bronco stuttered I was lucky enough to read the tea leaves and change my order to the Badlands with a soft top around June 2021. I had one issue at delivery which was a crack in the drivers side mirror. They are taking care of that this morning as I write this.

For perspective: some years ago I owned a 99 Jeep TJ with a hard-top and half doors with sliding windows. I traded that Wrangler away because it was a brick in the wind and so noisy I couldn’t hear myself think. I replaced it with a VW GTI, which towed my motorcycle to the racetrack much better. I’ve had two other VWs since then, a 2006 Jetta, and a 2013 GTI. I had my GTI almost 10 years, so coming into Bronco I’d not really bought for myself in a long while. I sold the VW in September.

Initial observations:

Exterior:
The soft top surprised me with tinted windows in the rear, I will likely match that tint level on the driver and passenger windows. Removal of the panels isn’t too bad, but I’m also realizing that being only 5’7” tall with a Sasquatch package means I don’t have a prayer to flip the top back or retract it fully without standing on the door sill. I have GoRhino D6 steps coming from Panda Motorworks soon, so that should make the difference. It appears to me that the rock rails also bolt to the body in some way, I had thought those were frame mounted but perhaps I’m mistaken. I’ll have to pick up some of those harbor freight moving blankets to wrap the windows in when they are off. This will also be my first endeavor into the world of off-roading, so if those D6’s have to come off later for something more serious, thats fine. I’m sure another local Bronco owner will need steps.

Interior: Sync 4 with wireless CarPlay is awesome, and having the 12” screen allow for CarPlay side by side with Sync is really a dramatic improvement over CarPlay on Sync3 I had gotten used to in my wife’s 2017 Explorer. The automatic start/stop is a little annoying at first but the weather has been cool and I can reach that button from the gear shifter in park. I would expect that will be more of an issue when it's hot and you need that AC compressor to stay turning. I prefer the volume knobs on the left side of the steering wheel in case my right hand is busy with a drink or something. Marine grave vinyl is really nice, I’m very happy with it. The soft top is noisy like you’d expect but pretty well mannered below 70mph. Once you cross up to 80mph, then the noise is a bit intrusive. The 6-speaker audio is exactly what other folks described, clear but flat, and with very little mid to low. I MOSTLY use my speakers for listening to Podcasts, so I’m not sure it bothers me all that much.

Driving: The 2.7L engine is taking some getting used to. We had traded my wifes 2017 Explorer towards a 2021 which has the 2.3L, and I’ve gotten pretty used to that. The Bronco seems to aggressively short shift, but when you’re in a good zone that 2.7L pulls like a freight train and you’re moving faster than you realize. Road manners the Bronco is everything I expected, smooth ride from the IFS, and a little squishy with the Sasquatch wheels and HOSS suspension. I do find myself using the gear selector on the shifter to preemptively downshift. I’m still on the first tank of gas, which I will keep a log of along the way as I refuel.

271.4Mi: First fart in the Bronco, it was a doozie.

274Mi: Installed BroncoDepotUSA’s matte black badges, and relocated my Badlands sticker to the tailgate, centered above the handle. Not sure I’ll keep that sticker there. Also swapped the FM antenna with a shorty, and glad I did so since the factory one wobbles like crazy. Also installed the Bimini top from BesTop. Mostly happy with it but i do want to drop them a message on exactly what state it should be in to close the soft top over top of it. Bronco is at the dealer this morning to swap my driver’s side BLISS mirror with the one from their mannequin. Apparently this part is simply not available so they’re doing me a solid on the swap.

Next mod in queue: I have 4 x Kicker 46CSC44 with 300Hz Bass Blockers, and 2 x 46CSC654 to install. I intend to swap the right side dash and rear pod first. I’ll do a listening test before moving the balance from right to left a few times to get some clear impressions of this mod before finishing the left side to match. Once I have some quiet time in December I’ll go through the effort of swapping the kick panel speakers.

Future mods: GoRhino D6 Steps, perhaps something from Baja Designs.

EDIT: Formatting, mostly.

View attachment 184773

View attachment 184771

View attachment 184772

View attachment 184770
Where did you race? I raced with WSMC from 1999-2005!!

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great pics and writeup! I currently only have an HT but the 400XDR the mobile unit I've been eyeing. A couple of questions. Does the antenna interfere with raising the hood? Is it possible to add the lip mount to the fender or is the shape too weird?
It doesn't interfere with raising the hood at all. I plan to rock a shorty dual band antenna there day to day, and only put the tall one on when off-roading. If you snaked that lip mount to the insider of the fender then there is no way it would clear the hood shutting. I did also order a fender mount for a 4Runner that looks like it'll bolt right on without issue, but after seeing a similar one on my neighbor's Silverado and how flimsy it was I went with this wider lip mount. It had padding on the underside so it won't damage the paint, and on the side you tighten it distributed the force across a small metal strip. It's not going ANYWHERE.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It doesn't interfere with raising the hood at all. I plan to rock a shorty dual band antenna there day to day, and only put the tall one on when off-roading. If you snaked that lip mount to the insider of the fender then there is no way it would clear the hood shutting. I did also order a fender mount for a 4Runner that looks like it'll bolt right on without issue, but after seeing a similar one on my neighbor's Silverado and how flimsy it was I went with this wider lip mount. It had padding on the underside so it won't damage the paint, and on the side you tighten it distributed the force across a small metal strip. It's not going ANYWHERE.
Thanks! Those were the answers I expected but figured I'd ask anyway lol

What shorty antenna are you looking at?

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Revising my participation on B6G

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the replies. I've been wondering about ground plane since most of the Bronco is aluminum. But this is all new to me. I'm wondering if the front bumper would be a good location for an antenna.

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am new as well. The antenna type and placement determines ground plane needs. My local ham radio ourtlets advised me the diamond wouldn’t require grounding. A magnetic mount certainly would.

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Revising my participation on B6G

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Preemptive reply: Yes I am aware that the supplier on AliBaba is probably ripping off some hard working US company(s). You can see it right there on the store where they offer to sell you boxes of hundreds of the things with whatever logo you want on them.

mortgagebruce

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (SOLD) / 2020 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Here's a couple more photos of the two rails together sitting in their approximate install positions. They can't coexist, so i just swapped their positions to get a feel for the fit.

View attachment 248010

View attachment 248011

Not obvious here, is that the overall length of the rails is about the same, however the 67D rail allows mounting almost all the way to each end and anywhere on the rail except for the very center. It sits an inch or so further towards the windshield and about an inch lower. The mounting instructions indicate that it connects at three points. it attaches to the 1/4x20 BYOD spot, and one self tapping screw on each end.

I think if I had not gone with a picatinny design, I'd be more apt to keep that Archetype rail. However, keep in mind the BroncoRail is only going to be about $89 once they hit full steam on availability. If your devices are mounting directly to the rail and not on a ball mount, its likely that the BYODR is a better fit since it sits closer and a bit higher. All of my devices will be on ball mounted arms.

Anyhoo, I've got adventures to go on NOW, and I know @EIGHTLUG has some really nice BALLS (hehe) swinging our way soon, but for now the 67D rail will be the one installed. I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to buy this picatinny rail, otherwise it'll be on the marketplace soon.
Did you find a picatinny mount with a 20mm ball that fits the AR rail?

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you find a picatinny mount with a 20mm ball that fits the AR rail?
I did not, but I also really didn't look that hard. I know some folks made it fit by using a longer bolt. The 67D ball does not fit in between the picatinny slots, so you end up rotating it, trying your best to center it, and tightening down. Check out the BYODR thread I know some folks figured it out.

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model