Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is key too. Or at least have a few loose screws to make up for skill like I do.
Just a common desire to enjoy and not destroy along with skills. My only bad day with the big groups were when it was a faster run and a few guys seem to use the go pedal every chance they could.

Someone coming up fast on someone from behind and breaking last minute or taking the route less traveled to "send it" while racing to get back in line just makes me feel anxious. But mostly, all the talk of broken tie rods had me wanting to respect the equipment and trail more.

Don't get me wrong, the Bronco is bad ass and I did obstacles my last truck, stock with no lift with only 265/70R16 could never do. But the slower going on the more technical really surprised me for two reasons:
1. I did some really butt-clenching stuff on Hell's Revenge and fins and things that I wasn't sure before this trip I'd try.

2. Capability, Capability, Capability! I'm use to hanging in my seat in my old Tacoma while using the low gear to walk down the steep, but the approach and departure angles on the Bronco are incredible! Being able to walk down something where you're looking at a "U" shaped bottom and not scraping at all, when it looks like you're going to run that bumper straight into the ground, or stepping down a 2 foot shelve while in the same situation was very cool.

Lastly on the first day I went from last to first on Hell's Revenge. I started out wanting to learn the truck and take it easy, but the truck was so great that even with having only gone on trails that were a 3 or less in my old truck, all those miles added up and the Bronco gave me the courage to led a group out of Hell's Revenge when things got splintered and someone had to take the lead.

Those butt-clenching drop offs were scary as... but I trusted my truck and with some help from my sidekick looking out the window to make sure I didn't roll off a narrow pathway we made it back!

I met some great people and would love to hook up with you guys in a smaller group next year.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I never use 6th. I cruise at 2700rpm. Just did a 3600 mile roundtrip to Idaho and averaged over 18mpg and usually had it sitting at 78mph. My goal is no boost for best mpg.
After running 87 octane for break in, I wasn't going to step on it during break in, and running 91 octane after break in and during the trip for about the last 2,600ish miles, I tried 87 again and I can tell a difference in power and my mileage dropped more than the cost difference (percentage wise).

Merging and passing on the hwy is just better with the 91 and the mileage is higher by more than the cost, so I'll be back to 91 as soon as I get down to half a tank. The route I drive daily is hilly, curvy and the stop lights are all on demand and NOT sync, all that starting and stopping with the hills kills my around town mileage; premium makes it better. 14.3 to 14.8 compared to 15.5 maybe 15.8 and up to 16 plus on a good day.

I think the extra pep makes it easier to stay with traffic without pushing it so the mileage can vary more, hence the wider bell curve for the premium.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

... and you wonder why your mileage sucks? Seriously?

IMG_20230509_104057.jpg
IMG_20230509_104102.jpg

I think you're ready for a 6dr, bro.

... and btw, that plastic-and-duct-tape brush guard is pretty damned hoopty... just sayin'.
Hey, @Tricky Dick,

This might satisfy your cargo needs.

six-door-2021-ford-bronco-van-render-seeks-to-modernize-the-jeep-forward-control-165863_1.jpg

Sponsored

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hesitant to book anything this early because I hope to have my crawler hauler set up by then so I can trailer and camp.

just booked staying downtown 3376 miles round trip so about 211 gallons of gas :eek:
Worth it!

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm hesitant to book anything this early because I hope to have my crawler hauler set up by then so I can trailer and camp.

Worth it!
oh I know we were trying to do a trip out there specific to a bronco outing since it would just be us and KOH isnt the right event. Plus its the right time of the year and not 110 out. I just book out where I can cancel if needed :)

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

oh I know we were trying to do a trip out there specific to a bronco outing since it would just be us and KOH isnt the right event. Plus its the right time of the year and not 110 out. I just book out where I can cancel if needed :)
Early May couldn't be more perfect. The weather was fantastic, never got hellishly hot, although we still fried ourselves on day 1 with the top down all day and spent the rest of the trip top up trying to recover.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Early May couldn't be more perfect. The weather was fantastic, never got hellishly hot, although we still fried ourselves on day 1 with the top down all day and spent the rest of the trip top up trying to recover.
Agreed on the weather being PERFECT! 10/10, would go in early May again.

Our family is pretty fair skinned, so we sunscreen up if we're outside for more than an hour. Even on days I had the top up, I put sunscreen on my arm that hangs out the window 🤣
I just keep a bottle of sunblock in my off-road gear, makes for keeping up on it super easy.
Doesn't sound manly or fun to apply/keep bottles of sunblock, but it's way less painful than sunburns or skin cancer (y)

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I got a JTops sun shade that works with the hardtop. Hell I live in the SE without a top/shade I would bake.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.