Jug

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
MOdules populating does not mean vehicle is built, as I recall from time my modules showed and actual build date - it simply means, if I am not mistaken, that all parts are in the plant for assembly of said VIN.

Until chips are actually installed and powered up there would be no way to know if a chip is bad. Just like everything in the world, only a select few items from the production line (including chips) are pulled, tested and tossed
They can be tested when still in wafer form with a prober. All semiconductor manufactors normally run them to check their yields. These could be some really cheap chips that are normally high yielding and they do not probe them or only probe a few die. The company I worked for built all high value chips, so everything was 100% probed.
Ford Bronco Modules populated. bad chips 1644252311220
Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m only speculating based on my own personal experience but Ford might be trying to use an alternative chip or two as a replacement for a chip that’s short and taking a risk that the alternate will pass engineering review. They might’ve planned on this substitute chip getting them through a few weeks of production until the original specified chip was available.

They then found out at the last minute that the alternate wasn’t a viable substitute for the short chip but it was too late to adjust at that point so they built the vehicles without the module, used test modules to get the vehicle through a functional test, off the line and sent it to Ice Mountain waiting for good chips to complete the required module. Vehicles outside of a certain scheduling window were then moved out and the plant shut down until the original chip was available.

You can substitute the term “bad chip” for ”alternate chip” and it still works. Either a bad chip or a failed attempt at using an alternate would explain both Ice Mountain and the current shutdown.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part and using my experience to figure out what Ford’s been doing hasn‘t worked out well in the past so take it for what it’s worth….

Nemo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just got an email from Dealership that my bronco is built. No changes on the pizza tracker or modules pages. Now I get to worry about joining the Ice Mountain club. FML...

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How do we know the chip is bad?
Somebody on here said they talked to ford customer service and was told the had some bad chips. So that's what people are going with.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Remember that one time Peter got bad chips?