Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-150, Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have the settings for the whitest light in the DRLs?
Sponsored

Last edited:

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
who told you the alpharex were brighter? They are clearly lying to sell more alpharex lol we ran a test on house comparing Morimoto to factory to alpharex to oracle and the XRGB are the brightest
Light testing is not trivial... So at what location did you measure the lux output and over what area (or just a single spot)? Total output in lumens is very important as compared to lux at one spot.

Similarly this visual test (not entirely objective) from a youtube comparison (Buckle Up Buttercup) between Alpharex and Morimoto show the former to be significantly brigther (lumens) and to have a more pure white color, i.e. a lower color temperature (less blue/purple). Alpharex is on drivers right, Morimoto on left.

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 10.46.30 PM

Just interested in the most output and the best pattern with a good pure white color.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Light testing is not trivial... So at what location did you measure the lux output and over what area (or just a single spot)? Total output in lumens is very important as compared to lux at one spot.

Similarly this visual test (not entirely objective) from a youtube comparison (Buckle Up Buttercup) between Alpharex and Morimoto show the former to be significantly brigther (lumens) and to have a more pure white color, i.e. a lower color temperature (less blue/purple). Alpharex is on drivers right, Morimoto on left.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 10.46.30 PM.png

Just interested in the most output and the best pattern with a good pure white color.
They are sponsored by AlphaRex. We are not.

We sell all the brands so when we conduct a test it's 100% fair. We used a controlled environment. We do it in our shop against an alignment banner and take readouts with a lux meter, at the same time, from the same distance.

Lumen is not the important factor in lighting, it's lux. Lux is the actual # being read at the surface the light falls on. Lumen is the total amount of light being thrown everwhere.

Lux is important as it's the # you want because it's WHERE your light falls.

We take our readouts where the low beam hits and in the surrounding vicinity (about a 5' radius) from where the light hits. Because that is where your headlights are aimed towards.

I've also been in the lighting industry since 1999 and have done countless tests with countless other lightin products on other vehicles. Diode Dynamics and Morimto have done the same actually making videos and putting out photos that show the outputs of the lights.

Here is shot of our alignment banner being used on another vehicle

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos 2015-2020 F150 Stock vs Morimoto

If you want the most output, the Morimoto XRGB is our top choice for output. It has the most light out of all the available headlight housings for the Bronco.

Last edited:

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

We sell all the brands so when we conduct a test it's 100% fair. We used a controlled environment. We do it in our shop against an alignment banner and take readouts with a lux meter, at the same time, from the same distance.

Lumen is not the important factor in lighting, it's lux. Lux is the actual # being read at the surface the light falls on. Lumen is the total amount of light being thrown everwhere.

We take our readouts where the low beam hits and in the surrounding vicinity (about a 5' radius) from where the light hits. Because that is where your headlights are aimed towards.

I've also been in the lighting industry since 1999 and have done countless tests with countless other lightin products on other vehicles. Diode Dynamics and Morimto have done the same actually making videos and putting out photos that show the outputs of the lights.

Here is shot of our alignment banner being used on another vehicle

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos 2015-2020 F150 Stock vs Morimoto

If you want the most output, the Morimoto XRGB is our top choice for output. It has the most light out of all the available headlight housings for the Bronco.

Thanks for the Great info. I don't know how they made the out put look like that.

I will be getting the XRGB in the next few weeks to try out.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are a lot of problems with the below...

To be clear, I have no dog in the fight here. I'm simply interested in Bronco enhancements and have a relevant background in physics and optics.

Sponsorship is not equivalent to a sponsored party always lies. I've seen this tactic you have attempted in other places and it just doesn't cut it.

The visible evidence in the video and photo's I posted looks quite convincing to me (and would also frankly to anyone who would watch it with an open mind). It appears to show precisely the opposite of what you have concluded.

Maybe you'd like to share your commission/margin rates on Morimoto vs. Alpharex? I don't suppose this could also a form of sponsorship?

100% fair is not 100% accurate. it seems you have some misunderstandings about light measurements (noted in red).

Lux is a POINT measurement of local intensity or brightness. Yes, we all want fundamentally a bright lighting solution. However, for example, a laser might have a huge lux value but it obviously wouldn't make a good headlight. Lumen is the total amount of light output from a given source. As I mentioned prior one really needs the combination of good total output (high lumens), along with a good pattern (which also implies good distance). These two will result in a high lux measurement in the desired pattern, but not outside of it.

Limiting your lux measurement to a 5' radius is arbitrary and could allow for a poor pattern. What is then done with the lux numbers, simply averaging them, adding them up? How does this limited measurement at all account for pattern or distance?

So, clarifying what I said prior is that with a good pattern more lumens will provide more brightness and hence more lux over the desired area. No one single metric, lux, lumens nor some characterization of pattern can make or define a best (or "brightest") lighting solution. Lastly of course color temperature should be taken into account. One might call the cool vs. warm a preference only, but obviously in the case of fog or dust color is critical.

Again, I don't doubt you have made some comparisons between these products but again your characterization seems completely contradictory to the evidence I have posted. A knee jerk, "they are sponsored" just doesn't cut it and does not refute what anyone can see with their own eyes. In that evidence, the Alpharex appears to have more lumens, more lux and a (subjectively) better color temperature. What do you think that poster has done; place dimming films over one light, wired in some additional resistance to cut power to one product, massively edited the video to lie?

Please watch the video and offer a fair critique of it and offer some reasonable explanation for how your and their results appear opposite. If you are unwilling to do this, your conclusive/definitive/objective results will remain in question. A test is not always a good test and even numbers can lie. Similarly a test might not appropriately reflect what a human observer sees and concludes.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe you'd like to share your commission/margin rates on Morimoto vs. Alpharex? I don't suppose this could also a form of sponsorship?
We actually make more money on Alpharex products...

Again, I don't doubt you have made some comparisons between these products but again your characterization seems completely contradictory to the evidence I have posted. A knee jerk, "they are sponsored" just doesn't cut it and does not refute what anyone can see with their own eyes. In that evidence, the Alpharex appears to have more lumens, more lux and a (subjectively) better color temperature. What do you think that poster has done; place dimming films over one light, wired in some additional resistance to cut power to one product, massively edited the video to lie?
I've tested every single headlight and ran every single headlight offered on the Broncos. I don't make youtube videos. I test products so that when a customer calls and asks "hey what do you think is better" I can give them my advice. I can do this because I've tested it.

A lot of customers have heard me say "I could make a lot more $$ selling you product ABC but honestly you'll get more for your money with product XYZ".

I make more $$ selling Alpharex but i'm going to recommend a product to a customer that has the most light down range. In our bench tests AND during my own real world experience (because I've ran them all on my truck) the Morimto XRGB had the most output.

Please watch the video and offer a fair critique of it and offer some reasonable explanation for how your and their results appear opposite. If you are unwilling to do this, your conclusive/definitive/objective results will remain in question. A test is not always a good test and even numbers can lie. Similarly a test might not appropriately reflect what a human observer sees and concludes.
Who said I never saw the video? I saw it. Just because I don't share your opinions doesn't mean my goal is to "make more profits" because as I pointed out I actually make more selling Alpharex.

We test everything we sell so that we can give our expert opinion in the matter. I've personally been in this game since 1999 and i've seen everything from upgraded halogen bulbs, to HID bulbs, to EL lights to LED lights to laser lights.

If you search on here you'll see we've done a lot of comparisons with other headlights as they came to market.

Morimoto XRGB have the most output
Alpharex has the 2nd most output.
Morimoto XB has the 3rd most output
Oracle has the least output

Morimotos XRGB problem is the DRL's are known to have issues sometimes on earlier batches. They used to be terrible at getting customer service but now they've increased customer service capacity and things get turned around usually the same day now.

Alpharex's problem is the light appears blue/violet depending on how you look at it which I find distracting. They also have terrible customer service and it takes forever to get an RMA.

Morimoto's XB problem is just that they appear "crooked" when installed. Otherwise no real issues other then a visual thing.

Oracles problem is they use a 2 part plastic mounting method which allows the light to vibrate when the engine is on and bounce around as you drive down the road.

I'm here to present the actual data and pros/cons of each brand because we actually test them and put them through the paces. You are welcome to share a different opinion but I do this for a living and a lot of people value my opinion because I am brutally honest, even if i'm making less $$ on a product.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can’t wait for a Black Friday, want more output and dont want to rely on the ss1’s to offset the weak headlight output
Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos A5B8EEBC-632E-453D-9A9F-9A278F674612

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks @4x4TruckLEDs.com , appreciate the additional details. It's hard to reconcile your data and first hand experience, both of which I do believe you are providing in an unbiased as possible fashion, with other pieces of seemingly contradictory data. I'd be keen to hear anything you might be able to share to help reconcile/resolve this conundrum. DM perfectly OK if there is something you don't want to share in this forum/format.

Also, would be good to have your relevant data here. It's not in this thread and I think I recall you mentioning it is/was on Insta, which I don't use.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks @4x4TruckLEDs.com , appreciate the additional details. It's hard to reconcile your data and first hand experience, both of which I do believe you are providing in an unbiased as possible fashion, with other pieces of seemingly contradictory data. I'd be keen to hear anything you might be able to share to help reconcile/resolve this conundrum. DM perfectly OK if there is something you don't want to share in this forum/format.

Also, would be good to have your relevant data here. It's not in this thread and I think I recall you mentioning it is/was on Insta, which I don't use.
Basically here is what it comes down to and my thoughts

Morimoto XRGB have the most output in our tests. They are VERY popular, have a GREAT price point and feature an RGB DRL.

Pros: Price, Output, Warranty (5 years)
Cons: There have been a lot of issues with the DRL's failing (a few diodes turn green when they fail). But Morimoto does RMA them.

AlphaRex and Form Lighting have the next best output. Both are similar in designs so I combine them.

Pros: Price (Form Lighting), Output
Cons: Price (Alpharex), Color Shifts. When I say color shifts I refer to the fact that some of the output appears white and some is purple. That's due to the projector these companies are using. IT's not a BIG problem but for me, i'm OCD and I find it distracting. But they are still nice lights.

We don't even sell Oracle but...

Pros: Price. Cheapest out of all the aftermarket housings
Cons: Bad quality. They use plastic tabs that you have to install. The lights also vibrate from the engine noise and while driving due to lack of support. The output is also minimal

When it comes down to it Morimoto has the best warranty at 5 years and is a rock solid company. They had some early on support issues but have since fixed that and take care of RMA's quickly these days. AlphaRex and Form provide a 2 year warranty. Form is a newer company on the market but is run by people who have been in this industry a long time and know what they are doing. They are quick to take care of any issues and their products are similar to other products on the market, but with better pricing/better support.

I've had issues with AlphaRex support as have many others. It takes a while to get responses and even when you do it's a lot of back/forth with them and a LOT of waiting to get a resolution/RMA taken care of. They don't like to deal with customers direct and want customers to work with a dealer. And as a dealer, we get stuck WAITING for them. They don't send out advance replacements and require us to have the customer send the product back and wait OR we have to order a new set for the customer and HOPE we get a refund.

Oracle sells cheap lights. I've never had a good experience with their products and a lot of people complain. We DID bring in their headlights to test and we were just VERY disappointed in the quality. They basically make you BUILD the headlight yourself. You have to mount numerous plastic support pieces that are held on by a few bolts. Their support mounts are NOT molded into the headlight like everybody else, so that causes the light to vibrate from the engine/driving. That's not good. Their output was also the least. I hear they are pretty good with support and RMA's though, but we don't sell their products so we've never had to go down that road.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit.

Sponsored

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really hope @Diode Dynamics is working on Elite series Bronco headlights. All of the ones so far are missing the mark to me. The Form ones looked good and then I saw that blue/purple color fringing above the cutoff line and that would give me PTSD, reminds me of trying to get rid of chromatic abboration on photos.

Diode Dynamics

First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really hope @Diode Dynamics is working on Elite series Bronco headlights. All of the ones so far are missing the mark to me. The Form ones looked good and then I saw that blue/purple color fringing above the cutoff line and that would give me PTSD, reminds me of trying to get rid of chromatic abboration on photos.
Unfortunately, we don't have any plans at this time to produce an Elite Series Bronco headlight for the market.

However, our partnership brand @Form Lighting just released their product offering to the market!

@4x4TruckLEDs.com is an authorized Diode Dynamics and Form Lighting dealer for any additional questions or inquiries on this thread.

Have a great Thursday!

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well as Diode Dynamics stated, Form Lighting has a set. We've got them in stock:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/form-lighting-2021-2024-ford-bronco-led-projector-headlights-pair/

Ford Bronco Morimoto XRGB vs. Alpharex NOVA Headlights - real world comparison w/ photos Side by Side (small)

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should I be concerned with the amount of people thinking I'm blinding them, or is that just par with the course with these Morimoto's? I wonder if the shop had adjusted the headlights, although "bright" side is everyone gets out of my way now when I'm in the left lane

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Should I be concerned with the amount of people thinking I'm blinding them, or is that just par with the course with these Morimoto's? I wonder if the shop had adjusted the headlights, although "bright" side is everyone gets out of my way now when I'm in the left lane
You shouldn't be blinding anybody. You have to properly align your headlights after replacing them. Once they are adjusted properly, you won't blind anybody.

They probably didn't even adjust them. Here's how (easy)

Park on a LEVEL surface 25' from a blank/clean wall (not in you driveway if it angles up/down).

Measure to the center of your low beam (there's usually an producing indicator piece on the housing itself OR just measure). Keep in mind the low beams are the TOP lights. Now remember that # and subtract 2"

Mark that spot (the center of low beam minus 2") on a wall on the driver/passenger side.

Now adjust your low beams so they don't go above that mark (the top of the cut-off should hit that mark). DONE.

Adjusting is easy. There is a little spot on the top/behind it that you just insert a philips screw driver into. Turn and watch the light go up/down.

Most shops that install headlights (if they don't do this for a living) don't bother to adjust the headlights.

BTW the 2" is optional. you don't HAVE to but we LIKE to use that as a measurement. We usually get lifted trucks in here so that helps make sure the light spread is FALLING rather then RAISING as the distance increases. Ensures people driving towards you don't have light coming up AT them. And it's not so much of a drop that you can't see down the road either.
Sponsored