Sponsored

Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality". Fact or Bias?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just one thing….. if turbo motors don’t have longevity then why are almost all heavy duty trucks turbos? FYI my last 2.7 clocked 189k trouble free miles the only thing I did was change the oil every 4-5k instead of the computer interval.
Automakers are doing turbos for emissions and CAFE requirements. Not because they are more reliable.

for the lousy gas mileage my Bronco gets I would have preferred just getting a V-6 or inline 6. Less to go wrong, cheaper to build and will last a lot longer.

190k miles is nothing for a well designed ICE motor without a turbo.

My 0.02
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Automakers are doing turbos for emissions and CAFE requirements. Not because they are more reliable.

for the lousy gas mileage my Bronco gets I would have preferred just getting a V-6 or inline 6. Less to go wrong, cheaper to build and will last a lot longer.

190k miles is nothing for a well designed ICE motor without a turbo.

My 0.02
I wasn’t saying they (turbos) were for longevity I was pointing out that all tractor trailers and most heavy equipment use blown motors. Those go well over 2k miles with no issues. I was also illustrating a point with my experience. A well designed AND assembled motor period (N/A or turbo) will last a long time. Your normally aspirated comment is an opinion that might have been valid 30 years ago. Most people will never see 100k on a car as they will trade it out.

as an FYI turbo motors are not the way to go for lower emissions. The cold start characteristic and fuel mapping can be a nightmare. I’ll Agee with you on fuel economy. Most use turbos because of the amount of power you can squeeze out per liter. 315hp from 2.7 liters is super impressive. Find one normally aspirated motor that makes that much power per liter, there aren’t any. 2.7=116 hp per liter. My gt350 5.2 101 hp per liter.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wasn’t saying they (turbos) were for longevity I was pointing out that all tractor trailers and most heavy equipment use blown motors. Those go well over 2k miles with no issues. I was also illustrating a point with my experience. A well designed AND assembled motor period (N/A or turbo) will last a long time. Your normally aspirated comment is an opinion that might have been valid 30 years ago. Most people will never see 100k on a car as they will trade it out.
We will probably not agree on this point, and it's a first world problem anyway :) you and I just have different experiences with turbos. FYI, mine isn't first hand, but with family and friends who have turbo'ed vehicles.

A good design and assembly certainly helps with longevity/reliability/quality, but you are also working against a "numbers" game. Complexity is the enemy of reliability. You cannot add more parts (turbo) and expect more longevity. This is just the nature of complex systems.

I also disagree with the 100K miles statement. I agree that many people will sell a car long before then (hence avoiding issues with reliability) but the vehicle itself may live a lot longer than that. There are many people on this forum that plan to keep their Broncos for a lot more than 100K miles, including me.

For me, both of my prior vehicles lasted a LONG time. 86 Acura Integra 300K miles (totaled by the Oregon Dept of Transportation), and a 2004 BMW 330i, at 167K miles and counting (I still have it). I take care of my vehicles and neither the Acura or the BMW ever had a catastrophic engine failure (I consider a blown turbo a catastrophic failure). I HOPE I get a long, trouble-free life with the Bronco, but I am just not convinced that the turbo will last. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Ryhawk1

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

well my 2021 4dr Wildtrak Bronco just blew its transmission and Ford says they are back ordered so i wont have my truck for 5-6 weeks and the heart of summer! So bummed but glad is covered under warranty - as IT should be
Sponsored