JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As ordered: 4 door Wildtrak w/ MIC and Bestop Trektop

MIC Top On: I kept the MIC on for the initial 1300 drive from Philly to Charleston, then for the first week of ownership. It's nice and quiet, damps noises, and I didn't hear much in the way of squeaks or rattles from the top. Panels are cumbersome to remove and stow. Probably my least favorite configuration. After a week, I removed the MIC and hoisted it onto my garage ceiling. I don't know if it's ever leaving that location unless I sell it, which I'm very close to doing.

No Top with doors on: Loads of fun, and with the windows up, you can hear music and communicate just fine with a passenger. I have short hair, so it's no issue, but my wife's long hair tends to get sucked straight upwards when the top is down. The Bronco definitely looks the best in this configuration, though with the summer heat in Charleston, I'd need a top of some sort. I have the Bimini, but I've never installed it, and the AC is a must. This will probably be a once or twice a year config.

Bestop Trektop (in open or closed config) with doors on and rear windows installed: This is the config I use the most, and it works very well. The top is louder than the MIC, but not by much, at least according to my ears. There's a bit of rattle from the passenger side front bow and the rear window bow with the top closed, but overall, this is a great way to roll. You're protected from the sun and weather, and the vehicle looks great. I would NOT be happy with the factory soft top, and I'm happy I opted for the Bestop, even at the cost. I love that it only takes about 30 seconds to unlatch the top and push it back, but I wish I could do it myself from the driver's seat. As it is, I need to unlatch, then exit the vehicle and push up from the center of the top, then once it's open about 8", I can grab a bow and push it open.

Bestop Trektop (in closed/open config) with doors on and rear windows removed: I did this recently for a couple weeks of great weather. It's nice to have the open top and back of the vehicle, as well as to have the flexibility of windows down or not. I really liked this config, and I think it'll be my choice for most nice days. The downside is that the entire inside of the vehicle is currently covered in pollen, but as soon as the top is opened, all the dog hair, dirt, and dust gets sucked out the top.

Bestop Trektop (in open config) with doors removed and rear windows removed: This is wild on the interstate, even at 65 MPH. Driving across a bridge with a crosswind and tractor trailers flying by at 75+ had the floor mats, my hat, and everything else that wasn't bolted down ready to fly out of the vehicle. This will probably be very sparingly used for only around town or trips through the Francis Marion forest. I can't get to most places in my area without going on an interstate, so I don't see myself pulling the doors except for exceptionally nice weekends.

Bestop Trektop (in closed config) with doors removed and rear windows removed: Way better than with the top open. I felt like there was less of a suction effect, trying to pull everything out of the vehicle. The interstate worries exist, so it'll probably be a weekend config when the tractor trailers are less prevalent.

Overall, I'm close to 7000 miles on the vehicle since mid-October, all but one week of which was spent with the Bestop in various states of config. I took the doors off for the first time the other day, and it's remarkably easy and quick. I can have all of them off and stowed in the garage in less than 15 minutes. Likewise, installing the doors is very easy, though the door bags get in the way when you're trying to reinstall and grab the handles. I had always planned to use the Bestop during the mild Charleston winter, then switch to the MIC for the summer, as it's more insulated, but I really don't think it's necessary. We've had some days here where it's in the mid-80s, and with the front windows and the windshield tinted, I don't notice the heat buildup.

I'll probably at least attempt a couple weeks with the MIC on when it gets really hot, then make a decision on selling the MIC. Anyway, hope this helps someone who is considering the various tops and configurations.

JR

PXL_20230306_191917426.jpg
Sponsored

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've was looking for a Badlands with a soft top but actually fell into a hard top for retail. I am waiting for it to get shipped to the dealer.

I am definetly going to purchase some sort of alternative so I can have the roof off more easily in the spring/summer/fall. I am thinking either the factory soft top, Bestop Skyrider, or the Trektop.

Whats the quality of the Bestop stuff like to the OEM ford softies? I like how Fords soft top looks better than the Bestop (cant stand the slanted look) but I am not sure the OEM ford softie will even be an option - looks like they are pretty expensive via after market and not super available.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've was looking for a Badlands with a soft top but actually fell into a hard top for retail. I am waiting for it to get shipped to the dealer.

I am definetly going to purchase some sort of alternative so I can have the roof off more easily in the spring/summer/fall. I am thinking either the factory soft top, Bestop Skyrider, or the Trektop.

Whats the quality of the Bestop stuff like to the OEM ford softies? I like how Fords soft top looks better than the Bestop (cant stand the slanted look) but I am not sure the OEM ford softie will even be an option - looks like they are pretty expensive via after market and not super available.
Personally, I like the look of the slantback, but I can see why it would not be for everyone. It's certainly not as extreme as some of the Jeep versions I've seen, which border on hilarious looking.

The Ford soft top, to me, looks cheap in comparison to the Bestop. The fabric is saggy, it looks like someone just draped a black tarp over top of some tent poles, and while I think the functionality is cool (various modes, including all the way back/easy off), I'd never want one over the Bestop. Also, the bacon windows are pretty terrible. In comparison, the Bestop looks like a premium product, both in the fabric and the metals/plastics. The windows are tinted and fit tightly, there's no sag, anywhere, and the overall fit and finish is just higher than on the factory top.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course, but I'm not the only person that has expressed these opinions.

JR
Sponsored