Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

He is 17 years old, and loves working on the Bronco II, which we let him drive. I am not a good mechanic, I am not the best role model for learning anything to do with mechanical stuff, but I can usually stumble around and figure stuff out - I'm a decent "handyman".

He's been working on replacing some of the front suspension bushings, which are wore out. He comes in just a few minutes ago -

"Dad, I think I broke your 1/2 breaker bar"

How on earth did you do that?

"I have no idea, it just twisted. I think it must have been bad when you bought it (aside: it's a 20 year old Craftsman...). I was using the cheater bar like you showed me and everything."

Well... I guess I can't really yell at him for that.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s just awesome! Bet you two will be telling this story and laughing about it for the next 30-40 years.

Don’t have to be a good mechanic; most of us aren’t, but you guys working things out will be great bonding.

Tell him, remember, go gentle until you can’t. :ROFLMAO:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The Christmas after my 16th birthday, Dad got me a set of Craftsman tools since I had an old beater Mustang. Although he'd worked various forms of construction most of my learning came from trial and error along with a few friends that were "mechanics". Kudos to your son, today there's not many kids that are inclined to learn how to fix things but those that are have it allot easier with forums like this and videos that break down the process.

bkirchhoff

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This brings back some great memories. My first car was an '84 Bronco II. While I fixed some things on it back at 16, our family also developed a close, personal relationship with our neighborhood mechanic. He once joked that my Bronco paid for his new fishing boat. At least...I think that was a joke? I sure do miss that little truck.

Ford Bronco My son IMG_7197

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Coming from a mechanic, he did everything right.

"Don't force it, get a bigger hammer or a longer lever."

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Christmas after my 16th birthday, Dad got me a set of Craftsman tools since I had an old beater Mustang. Although he'd worked various forms of construction most of my learning came from trial and error along with a few friends that were "mechanics". Kudos to your son, today there's not many kids that are inclined to learn how to fix things but those that are have it allot easier with forums like this and videos that break down the process.
My folks got me a set of Power Craft tools. Montgomery Wards lifetime guarantee tools. I don't think I ever broke one, good thing since I can't find a Wards store. I still have them.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My folks got me a set of Power Craft tools. Montgomery Wards lifetime guarantee tools. I don't think I ever broke one, good thing since I can't find a Wards store. I still have them.
I had to look up Montgomery Wards, been a long time since I heard their name. Looks like their name got sold off in 2004 and are online only under that new ownership but they don't cover any previous MW warranties.

Sears sold off the Craftsman name awhile back and they're all made overseas now but never broke an original one either and have most the original mixed in with all my other tools.
Sponsored