Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a new 2023 Bronco with only 4200 miles on it. I installed a KN cold air intake when I had around 600 miles on the vehicle. Around the 2800 mile mark I got the P2282 check engine code. I have taken it to Ford but they wont do anything other than charge me for the Diagnosis and tell me it is my PCV hose. I have contacted KN and have had new valves and hose sent to me. I have replaced that, and I still get the code. I asked if they (ford) checked all aspects of the code IE the throttle body etc. they said their computer shows a leak at PCV.
So, I took it back in and the same result. I talked with KN again and they sent me some other parts to swap out which I did and still no change. I have asked a local shop if they would do a smoke test to see if there is leak and they wont touch it b/c they didnt install the intake.... I was then told to maybe disconnect the battery for 2 hours and see if that helps. I cleared the code and did that... light came back on. I was thinking maybe I need to tune it so the engine doesnt think it's drawing in more air than it's supposed to but I have been told they cant do that kind of a tune bc the PCM is locked or something and a performance tune like the one Ford offers, wouldnt do what I need it to in order to clear the code...

Where do I go from here? Is this bad on my engine? I have noticed my gas mileage is suffering tremendously from this. I have a 2.3L and the bronco reads 250 miles to E on a full tank.... That number drops every time I fill it up... Started at over 300 then went to 280 then 260 and now 250...

I finally gave up and askedFord to seap my air filter back to stock (had the stock lying around) after replacing the air filter the light was still present! Turned out to be my oil catch can! I have a corsa catch can and there is a screw at the bottom that had fallen out. Luckily for me the dealership told me they would revert the filter back to KN for free. So thats a win I suppose…. So, if anyone else has this issue be sure the check the catch can as well!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if the PCV hose is the supposed issue why is the PCV hose not covered under warranty?

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Its a K&N cold air intake. It voids the manufacturer warranty.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have any pics of the setup? Your fuel trims are likely way out of whack causing more fuel usage due to more air entering which is unmetered. The old school method for checking for a vacuum leak is hosing down fittings with carb/brake cleaner or propane torch minus the flame. You get an RPM change, that's probably where the leak is. It's hard to believe the K&N would be allowing so excessive flow through the PCV tube but it might be worth trying to restrict flow by creating an orifice to cut down on flow by about 25%. Of course, fuel tables need to be reset and short/long trims monitored to see if that did anything.

Ford Bronco Need help! P2282 check engine light**fixed** 1696346020870

Last edited:

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a similar issue with mine after i installed the same intake. If you zoom in to the picture, there is a little piece circled. One the bend there is a little cap that is glued on. (See red line inside red circle) Blow up the picture. They little cap blew off causing a similar issue. K+N sent me a new part for free.

Also the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevent a company from denying warranty based on aftermarket parts. I hope this helps.

Bronco.JPG

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a similar issue with mine after i installed the same intake. If you zoom in to the picture, there is a little piece circled. One the bend there is a little cap that is glued on. (See red line inside red circle) Blow up the picture. They little cap blew off causing a similar issue. K+N sent me a new part for free.

Also the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevent a company from denying warranty based on aftermarket parts. I hope this helps.

Ford Bronco Need help! P2282 check engine light**fixed** Bronco.JPG
Yeah i had them replace that part as thet blew off before the next check engine light came up.

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah i had them replace that part as thet blew off before the next check engine light came up.
Damn that sucks then. The first time I had it was before the cold air intake and it was diagnosed as a selinoid near the gas tank.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting. I haven’t seen anyone else have this code. I am running a UPR Catch Can and originally thought it may have had something to do with that. But, it’s working as intended. I thought perhaps I didn’t get a fitting fully engaged on the PCV/Intake side (which is a bitch to get to on the early 2021). But, I am sure I would be having more issues 25k miles later if that was the case.

OP
OP
Krak-A-Pat

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check the screw on the bottom thats where mine was leaking air. Theres another form mentioned up in the comments where the guy had to retighten his throttle body screws. Im assuming you have a cold air intake. Ford wont touch it huh?

Machinepirate

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I finished the install yesterday. Light came on. Did a lot of check and still on. This morning , its magically off.
Sponsored