Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No problem. I personally think that if you have a production date before 12-Jan-2024 and you flat tow, you need to get this done
So this is if it won't shift out of neutral tow, not issues of it somehow exiting neutral tow on it's own

"Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode."

And they specifically state it won't fix other issues.

" This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design"

So i don't think it will really be relevant to the transmission frying issue.

I'm going to be towing mine in a couple weeks and don't think I want them messing with something that has worked well for me so far so close to my departure date.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So this is if it won't shift out of neutral tow, not issues of it somehow exiting neutral tow on it's own

"Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode."

And they specifically state it won't fix other issues.

" This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design"

So i don't think it will really be relevant to the transmission frying issue.

I'm going to be towing mine in a couple weeks and don't think I want them messing with something that has worked well for me so far so close to my departure date.
Sponsored
true, but it is building a case for continued issues with the flat tow capabilities. This is now #2 with the first being the EBB sleep update. I would place a vegas bet that there is still something somewhere where its the BMS or some other timer getting reset causing the electronic actuator on the transfer case to knock it out of neutral tow causing it to fry because the pumps are front driven off the trans.

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I agree!

But why does Ford have use put our transmissions in neutral? It sounds like what I do with our old Dodge Dakota we have towed for well over 10 years. Yes, I put our Dakota unnecessarily into drive as a backup for some bazaar reason our manual transfer case were to go into gear somehow. My idea for years was that if that happened then the transmission would turn in neutral and limit the high-speed consequences.

I feel it has to be the transfer case, in the case of the advanced transfer case, clutch being disengaged. Perhaps by the AWD module. Perhaps by design. e.g., competing designs.

Yes, the new software update would quite possible fix some reporting it stuck in "Neutral Tow Mode". But there quite possibly is a difference as to what is being reported to/from the computer modules and what mechanical actions is taken by the electronics.

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be helpful if one of the experience Ford members would explain why the Bronco transmission has to be put into neutral. It could help explain what is going on. Is putting the Bronco transmission into neutral unique to Ford vehicles that are flat tow-able? Silence seems evidence of something.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It would be helpful if one of the experience Ford members would explain why the Bronco transmission has to be put into neutral. It could help explain what is going on. Is putting the Bronco transmission into neutral unique to Ford vehicles that are flat tow-able? Silence seems evidence of something.
I used to think it was to keep the steering unlocked, but was informed the Bronco has no steering lock. Now I wonder if it's because the procedure for taking it out of neutral tow requires a shift to Park, so Ford doesn't want it to shift out of Neutral tow. My old TJ wanted the transmission in Park.

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to think it was to keep the steering unlocked, but was informed the Bronco has no steering lock. Now I wonder if it's because the procedure for taking it out of neutral tow requires a shift to Park, so Ford doesn't want it to shift out of Neutral tow. My old TJ wanted the transmission in Park.
Thank you for you reply. At first I too thought it was a steering lock issue, but I was quickly made aware this is an antiquated security feature. And in the case of my old Dodge Dakota, only the ignition needs to be in the first position to free up the steering.

Your latter comment could be the case, but again I wonder why does the transmission has to be placed into neutral. My mind just cannot come to terms with that. We love our Bronco, but I so wish it had a manual transfer case like the Wranglers. These new vehicles have just gone way way over board with electronics. And that is coming from a nerd, and shade tree mechanic.

As far as a safety feature for keeping the transfer case from shifting out of neutral, will apparently that is not working. But love the conversation.

RAMTOWIT

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 3500 dually
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford just released this broadcast message to its dealers today.
Jan 23 2024 New 2021-2024 Bronco - Stuck In Neutral Tow Mode - Built On Or Before 12-Jan-2024
Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode. This may be due to a concern with the all-wheel drive (AWD) module software. Make sure the proper procedure is being followed to exit neutral tow mode by referring to the Owner's Manual > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle. Make sure the vehicle's battery is fully charged and then diagnose all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the AWD module. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-07A. If diagnostics do not resolve the concern or there are no DTCs present in the AWD module, reprogram the AWD module using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate section of the WSM. Once the repair is complete, verify the vehicle's ability to successfully enter and exit neutral tow mode by cycling the vehicle in and out of neutral tow mode a minimum of two times, allowing the vehicle to enter sleep mode (key-off for at least 5 minutes) between each cycle. This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design. For claiming, use causal part 7P238 and applicable labor operations in Section 07 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
Thank you for this information about a software update for the "stuck in neutral tow". I have scheduled an appointment with my dealer to have this update done. I have also just finished installing a Brake Buddy battery charger that feeds off my tow vehicle 7 pin trailer plug. Hopefully, this will help keep my transfer case in the correct neutral tow mode.

This entire issue related to "flat towing" a vehicle that was pushed out as flat towable but, not trustworthy to do is just wrong! Flat towing is the primary reason I purchased it. It's pretty bad when I have to go to the Uhaul website and see what the cost of a car trailer rental is per day.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you for this information about a software update for the "stuck in neutral tow". I have scheduled an appointment with my dealer to have this update done. I have also just finished installing a Brake Buddy battery charger that feeds off my tow vehicle 7 pin trailer plug. Hopefully, this will help keep my transfer case in the correct neutral tow mode.

This entire issue related to "flat towing" a vehicle that was pushed out as flat towable but, not trustworthy to do is just wrong! Flat towing is the primary reason I purchased it. It's pretty bad when I have to go to the Uhaul website and see what the cost of a car trailer rental is per day.
I don't know I've always been a proponent of getting a trailer just to be safe

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After my transmission and transfer case grenaded, I went back to a Wrangler, as we're full time RV'ers and flat tow is a requirement.....Pensacola, FL to Key West....Michigan....Arizona....Utah....zero issues. The peace of mind knowing the Jeep is gonna flat tow with no issues overcomes the fun factor of the Wildtrak with the 2.7. While it was a blast to drive, this issue isn't worth it to me. Ford needs to get their sh!t together with this.

Sponsored

Mr Toad

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's disheartening to see how many posts feature owners who did engage Neutral Tow Mode properly, only to have the transmissions damaged. Ford needs to address the possibility of a failure in the vehicle's software or hardware that can indicate Neutral Tow mode is engaged when it either isn't, or can become disengaged while the vehicle is being towed without any owner input. Everyone involved should file a complaint with the NHTSB (NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236) and or CPSC (https://www.cpsc.gov/About-CPSC/Contact-Information) so a proper investigation can be considered. In the meanwhile, I'm photo documenting Neutral Tow Mode Enabled each time I flat tow.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ignorant question incoming.

Can't you just disconnect the transfer case switching motor after putting the Bronco into neutral tow? Then before taking it out of neutral tow, plug it back in? Would that not make the possibility of grenading the tranny or t-case impossible?

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Can't you just disconnect the transfer case switching motor after putting the Bronco into neutral tow? Then before taking it out of neutral tow, plug it back in? Would that not make the possibility of grenading the tranny or t-case impossible?
Not sure if that would work out, but I know it's a pain in the ass to get to it and unplug it. I flat tow way to often to be rolling around on the ground to unplug the motor after spending $65k on a vehicle advertised as flat towable. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying a flat towable vehicle.

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Somebody else mentioned that as well but surmised the computer would probably freak out if you unplugged it. I am tempted to try it just to see what would happen. Seems everything should be sleeping by that point in the neutral tow mode. Got to do more research...

73Corvetteman

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does anyone know the extent of this problem, i.e. how many vehicles has this happened to?
Sponsored