Sponsored

Nitto Recon 315/70/17 - Load Range SL vs E2?

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can someone explain to me the benefits of a tire with a load range of SL vs E2 or vice versa?
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Going off memory from two months ago purchase…….​

I just bought the exact tire and size you’re asking about in SL (standard load). The benefits are gonna be different for people depending on their use and need ie towing heavy loads or not or want extra sidewall protection because they play on sharp rocks etc.​
The SL has a max psi of 44lbs. E range is usually 65 psi. The SL has one less sidewall belt than the same model tire in E range.​

I wanted more sidewall protection for the rocks where I wheel compared to a C load range tire. I don’t carry heavy loads and rarely will pull a trailer.​

E range is gonna have a stiffer sidewall and higher payload rating because of the extra belt(s). And it will be a heavier tire compared to the SL.​

Nittos are cool because there are two different sidewalls you can choose on the tire depending on how you mount the tire on the wheel. The tires are not directional so either side can be shown.​

OP
OP
dbattle

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just bought the exact tire and size you’re asking about in SL (standard load). The benefits are gonna be different for people depending on their use and need ie towing heavy loads or not or want extra sidewall protection because they play on sharp rocks etc.​
The SL has a max psi of 44lbs. E range is usually 65 psi. The SL has one less sidewall belt than the same model tire in E range.​
I wanted more sidewall protection for the rocks where I wheel compared to a C load range tire. I don’t carry heavy loads and rarely will pull a trailer.​
E range is gonna have a stiffer sidewall and higher payload rating because of the extra belt(s). And it will be a heavier tire compared to the SL.​
Nittos are cool because there are two different sidewalls you can choose on the tire depending on how you mount the tire on the wheel. The tires are not directional so either side can be shown.​
Thanks, very helpful. So basically if the majority of my driving is on road and not with heavy loads I should go with SL. Can it be assumed it’s a smoother ride then with the SL since it’s not as stiff of a sidewall?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@dbattle Yes. Ride should be softer I would say. Above 25 mph the tire rides silky smooth and vibration free. Below 25 there is a very slight vibration (not a problem and no noises but it’s there, I doubt most people would even notice it) as the lugs are a little aggressive.

All 5 of my tires averaged no more than 3 oz each of weight to balance out. Very happy with my purchase.

Ford Bronco Nitto Recon 315/70/17 - Load Range SL vs E2? BEF9C819-CB0A-44EC-8029-C1C8EA6711B5

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

SL for highway driving and E for offroading for Bronco applications.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dbattle

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You said you bought the same tire and size that I’m looking at. What is the rest of your build? Lift? Trim level?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For us older folks, simplicity is SL= 4ply and E= 10ply.​
I'm pretty sure without looking it up that SL is in max range of 35/36 psi, where as E1/E2 is max range of 65/80psi. E rated are going to have much stiffer sidewalls for heavier load requirements. If I'm not mistaken there is about 800-1000 max load capabilities between the two.​

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting that the weight is the same between the SL and E. There is a lot less tread depth on the SL (common in other brands, too).

Ford Bronco Nitto Recon 315/70/17 - Load Range SL vs E2? 6730BF82-C017-43E6-BD3B-212D62AF9505

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You said you bought the same tire and size that I’m looking at. What is the rest of your build? Lift? Trim level?
Its a Rubicon.

Sponsored