First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

$2500 and non-refundable is too far out of the norm.
$500-$1000 and refundable being typical.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
None initially. We didn't even know about allocation until later in the process. And once we did know adding a 2nd reservation to game the system seemed pointless because Ford said builds would be done in order by reservation #. So those who made 2 reservations did so because they wanted 2 vehicles.

They aren't risking anything. The $100 is completely refundable if you don't pull the trigger on the purchase.
It appears that there are between 3 and 5% of reservations here, quite a few have mentioned they have multiple reservations, extrapolating that by 30 times means that there is a statistically a large number of second reservations that people made because they (insert reason; weren't sure if they were locked to model (confusion over swapping in the early days), didn't think the first one took, etc, not that they necessarily wanted two vehicles, that works be a distinct minority). So there is a pool of reservations out there, if only 1% got a second reservation, that is 2000 of them, those are the reservations that would be placed as orders at different dealers (while Ford claims it is refundable after order, the dealer has the deposit, so its return is not guaranteed, as Ford is not party to the sales contract.) Hopefully this clears up your misconceptions.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you think happens when you lay out a $2500 non-refundable deposit, truck comes in, and the dealer says... Sorry, that salesman no longer works here, the deal is $2500 ADM. You can either walk away with no truck and lose $2500, or roll the extra $2500 into a five year 3.99% loan for an extra $92 a month and leave with a truck and not lose $2500. Lot of people will do that, especially if they sold their vehicle and need one right now. If the don't, the dealer still has their extra $2500 and can sell the truck for ANOTHER extra $2500 right now. If the 20% leeway in name matching is true, dealers can play with when they sell the vehicles to keep their average in each month below the penalty threshold, they might be able to hold just below 20% exactly for many months. The possibility of being screwed with last second ADM is much higher if you give non-refundable deposit

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Non-refundable for a vehicle that doesn't exist... not no, but F no. And $2500 is pretty steep.
I understand where your coming from but we have a situation here where there are more reservations than trucks. Deposits of 1000 or more, wether refundable or not, will separate the men from the boys. This is where the rubber meets the road. More cliches to follow. Time to step up to the plate. etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, and think of the thousands (I don't think 10 thousand, but who knows) who will split them up at different dealerships and wait to see which one arrives first. Look around this forum here, if you don't think there are a lot of folks who wouldn't risk an extra $100 to hedge their bets on getting one a month or three sooner, you would be wrong. Hell the dealer might even refund the hundo if given a sob story when the second order is cancelled. I only have the one reservation myself, but for each of you that has thought of it and believed that you outsmarted the game, there are a thousand on here and in the real world who thought of it as well.

edit below;

One of the completely predictable (had Ford given it any thought at all about moving away from the reservation timeline model to the allocation model) side effects will be an increase in dealer stock vehicles ending up on dealer lots with ADM before other people get their reservations filled. The dealers will scream that they are the victims of shady customers gaming the system and that Ford cannot sanction them for those units because Ford controlled the allocations. (both things would be true). If that is what is going to happen, the dealers won't bother to actually cancel the orders until the VIN is generated, would give the reservation holder the $100 back, and have a unit on the lot without penalty. Let's say 6000 people do this out of the 195K reservations. That is what...just over 3%? If evenly distributed every dealer in the Country would have two on the lot before all the reservations was filled, or more likely, a few dealers have 10 on the lot and are advertising the crap out of it. The rage from the original reservation holders, especially with early timestamps is going to be huge. when it turns out that they got theirs after that, simply because Ford changed the rules (as the reservation holders understood them) after they reserved. Ford deserves every bit of the goat rodeo, sorry G.O.A.T. rodeo, coming done the line.
What he said with an additional “why would you let people make two reservations!” That was not necessary, and the start of the whole fiasco.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer said no deposit was necessary
Bingo, it isn't. That is an old school method of covering the dealers rear. However it makes no sense with the Bronco because unless someone orders a completely outlandish setup, that Bronco isn't sitting on the lot if the original buyer backs out. At least, not in 21/22. There is no reason for the dealer to need 'insurance' outside the fact that they think you're so excited you'll pay it.

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It appears that there are between 3 and 5% of reservations here, quite a few have mentioned they have multiple reservations, extrapolating that by 30 times means that there is a statistically a large number of second reservations that people made because they (insert reason; weren't sure if they were locked to model (confusion over swapping in the early days), didn't think the first one took, etc, not that they necessarily wanted two vehicles, that works be a distinct minority). So there is a pool of reservations out there, if only 1% got a second reservation, that is 2000 of them, those are the reservations that would be placed as orders at different dealers (while Ford claims it is refundable after order, the dealer has the deposit, so its return is not guaranteed, as Ford is not party to the sales contract.) Hopefully this clears up your misconceptions.
I have no misconceptions. A dealer can't take someone's reservation and turn it into an order for themselves if that is what you are implying. The bronco has to be sold to the same name on the reservation. Otherwise dealer faces major sanctions from Ford.

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer is asking for a non-refundable $2500 deposit. Is this normal? Seems a bit steep for non refundable.
Agreed. If they are giving you a really good deal, I'd tell them I'll come back in March, before the window closes and put in the order / deposit.

If they are just one of another places, I'd tell them I'll check around and see if another dealer will accept a more reasonable deposit (as long as you are willing to do that, of course).

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand where your coming from but we have a situation here where there are more reservations than trucks. Deposits of 1000 or more, wether refundable or not, will separate the men from the boys. This is where the rubber meets the road. More cliches to follow. Time to step up to the plate. etc.
I disagree. Non-refundable deposits of 1000 or more are for people that would rather have some one else collect interest on their money. I could put $60k deposit down, but never will. A higher deposit does not equal getting the Bronco any faster.

Either way if the order holder does not end up buying the Bronco, the dealer will put a nice ADM on it and sell it quickly.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I disagree. Non-refundable deposits of 1000 or more are for people that would rather have some one else collect interest on their money. I could put $60k deposit down, but never will. A higher deposit does not equal getting the Bronco any faster.

Either way if the order holder does not end up buying the Bronco, the dealer will put a nice ADM on it and sell it quickly.
Spoke to my dealer, no deposit, no anything. Some dealers seem to be more about building a relationship than slaughtering the buyer...that's a good thing.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think happens when you lay out a $2500 non-refundable deposit, truck comes in, and the dealer says... Sorry, that salesman no longer works here, the deal is $2500 ADM. You can either walk away with no truck and lose $2500, or roll the extra $2500 into a five year 3.99% loan for an extra $92 a month and leave with a truck and not lose $2500. Lot of people will do that, especially if they sold their vehicle and need one right now. If the don't, the dealer still has their extra $2500 and can sell the truck for ANOTHER extra $2500 right now. If the 20% leeway in name matching is true, dealers can play with when they sell the vehicles to keep their average in each month below the penalty threshold, they might be able to hold just below 20% exactly for many months. The possibility of being screwed with last second ADM is much higher if you give non-refundable deposit
The deposit doesn't come with any type of contract / agreement?

What if the Bronco's price becomes $1000? The deposit gets you 2 and a half Broncos instead of 1? Sure, it doesn't make sense the Bronco would ever be $1000 - just like it equally makes no sense the Bronco will be $100,000. Why? Because there needs to be an agreement on price.

How else does money get exchanged?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wait, what, at this point every dealer in the country has more reservations than they have trucks. None have been built. I think I need a better explanation to understand what that sentence means. Ford has committed to build a Bronco for every reservation that is converted to an order, so a non refundable deposit of a $1000, or more is out of the ordinary.

Or, are you playing the roll of a dealer sales person? :)
Sponsored

Last edited: