Sponsored

OBX with 33in Tires and 17in Wheels - How do I do it?

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello All,

I am kinda new to off-roading and....I guess...need a lot of help. I am looking to purchase an Outer Banks 4 Door, but don't really like the look and size of the wheels and tires. I don't need the Sasquatch package, but I like the look of the Badlands tires and wheels. Does anyone know what I would need to do to the Bronco to achieve this?

I have many questions, but don't really know the terminology to ask. I'll try....

Does it have to be lifted?
Do wheels and tires void warranty?
Will they damage anything?
Do I need new speedometer gears?
What size wheels would I need? 17 x ? I don't understand offset...yet.
Is the Badlands suspension different than the OBX? Would I have to change that?

I'm sure there are more, but maybe you all could get me started.

Thank you.
Sponsored

scotts418

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hello All,

I am kinda new to off-roading and....I guess...need a lot of help. I am looking to purchase an Outer Banks 4 Door, but don't really like the look and size of the wheels and tires. I don't need the Sasquatch package, but I like the look of the Badlands tires and wheels. Does anyone know what I would need to do to the Bronco to achieve this?

I have many questions, but don't really know the terminology to ask. I'll try....

Thank you.
i think the safest you can go based on what we know is the black diamond size tires so 17 inch on 265 width, which is slightly wider than the outer banks, but same 32 inch diameter.

33ā€™s will probably be fine but not sure if the badlands has any lift over the other bronco options. We know it has Sasquatch shocks but donā€™t know if itā€™s lifted.

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i think the safest you can go based on what we know is the black diamond size tires so 17 inch on 265 width, which is slightly wider than the outer banks, but same 32 inch diameter.

33ā€™s will probably be fine but not sure if the badlands has any lift over the other bronco options. We know it has Sasquatch shocks but donā€™t know if itā€™s lifted.
Ahh, I see. Thank you.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello All,

Thank you.
Just get some 275/70R18 (33x10 50R18) tires. And be done. ;)

Note that you can play around with different tread types, load ratings and compare sizes at the link.

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/275-70R18.htm

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It (Badlands) is lifted. The attached by North7 show the lift recommended foe each model for various tire sizes, and the stock lifts of the various models.

To put 33's on a stock OBX, .67in lift is recommended, and check with experts re. Width, offset, etc.

SmartSelect_20210614-222507_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20210614-222239_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just get some 275/70R18 (33x10 50R18) tires. And be done. ;)

Note that you can play around with different tread types, load ratings and compare sizes at the link.

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/275-70R18.htm
I agree, thats my OBX plan. They should fit with, maybe without the .67 wedge, I'll post it when i finally get mine! LATER, if you're feeling rich, you can add upgraded coilovers to replace the shims.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree, thats my OBX plan. They should fit with, maybe without the .67 wedge, I'll post it when i finally get mine! LATER, if you're feeling rich, you can add upgraded coilovers to replace the shims.
Or air over. Seems to be the one thing missing from Bronco to directly compare to Land Rover. Ha, even a Yukon Denali comes with air ride, albeit non adjustable onboard by driver.

But there are peeps that replace LR3/4/Discovery air systems with coil so there ought to be parts laying around to retrofit a Bronco with an on demand 4-6" lift

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Or air over. Seems to be the one thing missing from Bronco to directly compare to Land Rover. Ha, even a Yukon Denali comes with air ride, albeit non adjustable onboard by driver.

But there are peeps that replace LR3/4/Discovery air systems with coil so there ought to be parts laying around to retrofit a Bronco with an on demand 4-6" lift
Yes, a possibility. My main problem right now is that in the 275/70R18 tires, which seem to be the ideal middle-road 33" size for a moderate OBX upgrade, are not available in C & D rated tires. The E rated tires are heavier, and harder-riding, making the car I bought for a smooth highway ride & occasional Beach use a more uncomfortable ride. Right now, the ideal would be to buy a set of 17" rims, perhaps finding a set of Badlands take-offs.

Bolter

Outer Banks
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello All,

Thank you.
I have the same issue. Ordered 17" KMC Roswell wheels and 285/70 r17 tires for them which will give the desired chunky look with no need for any other mods.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the same issue. Ordered 17" KMC Roswell wheels and 285/70 r17 tires for them which will give the desired chunky look with no need for any other mods.
Tell me more about the wheels, please. Offset and backspace measurements? Any lifting or shimming of the suspension? Photos?

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ok so if you look at this guy he has 35's on a BB no lift. Before everyone gets excited I know this is about an OBX but they all use the same +55 offset wheel and both are 7" wide so in a nutshell anything up to a 35 will fit stock wheels on any trim.

Ford Bronco OBX with 33in Tires and 17in Wheels - How do I do it? 1634053200127

I you read through the replies his does say it does rub a bit at full lock but for most this would not be a problem. The Bronco has a good turning radius.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/delivered-shadow-black-big-bend-2dr-2-3l.25127/

šŸ˜

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ok so if you look at this guy he has 35's on a BB no lift. Before everyone gets excited I know this is about an OBX but they all use the same +55 offset wheel and both are 7" wide so in a nutshell anything up to a 35 will fit stock wheels on any trim.

Ford Bronco OBX with 33in Tires and 17in Wheels - How do I do it? 1634053200127

I you read through the replies his does say it does rub a bit at full lock but for most this would not be a problem. The Bronco has a good turning radius.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/delivered-shadow-black-big-bend-2dr-2-3l.25127/

šŸ˜
OBX is a 7.5 x 18" wheel. But i like your point, although it appears that a 1" lift is generally needed (.66) for 33's + on the OBX

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OBX is a 7.5 x 18" wheel. But i like your point, although it appears that a 1" lift is generally needed (.66) for 33's + on the OBX

Good catch, I was thinking they were all 7 wide. Hell I didn't think 35's would fit with no lift on any trim lower than a BL but that thread proved me wrong. 33's I could see, but not 35's. TBH I'm having a hard enough time just trying to get my Bronco let alone keeping all the other stuff straight.

(y)(y)

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good catch, I thought they were all 7 wide. Hell I didn't 35's would fit with no lift on any trim lower than a BL but that thread proved me wrong. 33's I could see, but not 35's. TBH I'm having a hard enough time just trying to get my Bronco let alone keeping all the other stuff straight.

(y)(y)
Im trying to maturely wait for my non-sas OBX 4dr, which was shipped from Purgatory last week and should be arriving at my Dealer before the end of the month! Then, I'll drive it with the stock 255/70R18 tires on highway and beach, and see how urgently I "need" bigger tires. I figure the longer I wait, the more options. Probably my first upgrade an ARB air pump installed.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs