Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got the capable bumper with factory fogs and planning a switch to an OEM takeoff Modular bumper I just bought. I want to add fog lights, but had a bunch of questions and am learning as I go. After spending hours searching google, searching on here, and watching some YouTube videos, I figure at this point it’s faster just to ask the questions I’m unclear about.

Was curious if anybody knows the specs on the factory fogs regarding amperage, watts, lumens (etc) and what are safe limits for upgrades to the factory switch and aux switches. I want to stay street legal and ideally be in something similar to a raptor style setup, with one fog on each side white that is hooked up to the factory fog switch and the other light on each side amber and hooked up to an aux switch.

Any help on any of this is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve got the capable bumper with factory fogs and planning a switch to an OEM takeoff Modular bumper I just bought. I want to add fog lights, but had a bunch of questions and am learning as I go. After spending hours searching google, searching on here, and watching some YouTube videos, I figure at this point it’s faster just to ask the questions I’m unclear about.

Was curious if anybody knows the specs on the factory fogs regarding amperage, watts, lumens (etc) and what are safe limits for upgrades to the factory switch and aux switches. I want to stay street legal and ideally be in something similar to a raptor style setup, with one fog on each side white that is hooked up to the factory fog switch and the other light on each side amber and hooked up to an aux switch.

Any help on any of this is greatly appreciated!
We actually sell complete fog kits here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

Depending on which kit you get, we make a factory pigtail that will allow you to connect your factory fog circuit to one pair of lights.

As for amperage/specs... ANY of the lights we sell will work. From the Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport up to the SS3 Max. They'll all be fine to power from the factory fog circuit. So no worries there.

Your truck DOES have factory fog lights, correct? If not, you won't have a wire there for the fog lights. If you do then you're covered and we have pigtails that plug into that factory circuit.

A few things to keep in mind

1) Make sure you get the OEM Ford Bumper. DO NOT under any circumstance get the knock-off ones from ebay. You'll have issues. We tried to install one for a local friend's truck and it was such a headache. The main problem is just the accessory mounting points. They only utilized 2 of the 3 accessory mounts in the bumper opening. The 2 that they provided, used NUTS behind the bumper and a bolt. They did NOT have threaded inserts. That means if you want to install an accessory you have to remove the bolt and nut and then SOMEHOW install the accessory while holding the nut behind the bumper and screwing down the bolt. PROBLEM IS, they have a CAP over the entire assembly so you can't even access this nut. It's IMPOSSIBLE to install accessories this way.

2) If you are going with a Ford OEM one, NICE, it'll be easier. MAKE SURE you save your harness. There is a harness that runs the length of your factory bumper you NEED to keep that. That has your sensor wires (if applicable) and your FOG LIGHT wiring. A lot of people fail to keep this and just sell their old plastic bumper WITH the existing wiring inside.

Once you decide on a fog kit from us, let me know so I can point out which pigtail you want to get so you can plug 1 set of lights into the factory fog circuit (the other lights will go to your upfitter switches)

OP
OP
Spar10Bronco

Spar10Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@4x4TruckLEDs.com This is super helpful info, thanks for sharing! My stock bumper is the capable bumper with factory fog lights and sensors. Thankfully the modular bumper I already picked up is an OEM takeoff and has the sensor holes in it.

I’ll have to look through all the kits you offer, but any recommendations on how many lights to put in each pod, color of the lights, and style (fog vs spot, etc)? Any other tips are greatly welcomed as this is my first time doing any lighting work on a vehicle!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@4x4TruckLEDs.com This is super helpful info, thanks for sharing! My stock bumper is the capable bumper with factory fog lights and sensors. Thankfully the modular bumper I already picked up is an OEM takeoff and has the sensor holes in it.

I’ll have to look through all the kits you offer, but any recommendations on how many lights to put in each pod, color of the lights, and style (fog vs spot, etc)? Any other tips are greatly welcomed as this is my first time doing any lighting work on a vehicle!
Where did you get this modular bumper from?

The Diode Dynamics kit w/Flush Brackets we offer is our most popular kit.

If you go to our produt page we list recomendations on the lighting setup on each page and go over the specs

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depending on which kit you get, we make a factory pigtail that will allow you to connect your factory fog circuit to one pair of lights

Once you decide on a fog kit from us, let me know so I can point out which pigtail you want to get so you can plug 1 set of lights into the factory fog circuit (the other lights will go to your upfitter switches)
I have a DD set on the way from you... I should have contacted you to add the pigtail?

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a DD set on the way from you... I should have contacted you to add the pigtail?
What's your order # so I can tell you which pigtails work.

You'll need to make sure you have the factory wiring back there (under the tow hook) and you'll also need to purchase a nead headlight switch and get the circuit programmed btw. It's not just a smiple plug and play there are other steps involved. But if you are familiar with those steps we can point out which pigtail can work

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What's your order # so I can tell you which pigtails work.

You'll need to make sure you have the factory wiring back there (under the tow hook) and you'll also need to purchase a nead headlight switch and get the circuit programmed btw. It's not just a smiple plug and play there are other steps involved. But if you are familiar with those steps we can point out which pigtail can work
Ordered 4/8/24 #36216

I have an Outer Banks, mid package, so it already has the switch for fog lights that came with base bumper.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I appreciate the link. Have to ask a question though… if I hadn’t happened on this thread I never would have known about the pigtails. And there’s some sort of programming too? Was it in the description of the fog light kit and I missed it?
If you're coming from a bumper that HAD fogs (plastic or capable) there is no programming involved. As you are going to a modular bumper now. So as long as you keep your harness you can purchase the pigtails to connect your OEM harness to one of our fog lights.

We don't list this on our site as one of the options in our fog kits because we DO NOT want to confuse customers. Modular Bumper equipped trucks DO NOT have fog switches, so that's why wed don't list it as an option. We'd have more people going "I can't find my fog light switch" then anything.

You're one of those unique cases who are changing things out on your own, so we have them listed under the Bronco Wire Harnesses section, as it's not something most folks do.

You are going to a modular bumper but whenever anybody asked remember to state that you DID have a capable/plastic bumper (Ford techs for example) because your wiring is setup different then a truck off the line with a modular bumper.

We have a post here that goes over this: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...r-to-modular-bumper-wiring-information.85846/

Sponsored

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you're coming from a bumper that HAD fogs (plastic or capable) there is no programming involved. As you are going to a modular bumper now. So as long as you keep your harness you can purchase the pigtails to connect your OEM harness to one of our fog lights.

We don't list this on our site as one of the options in our fog kits because we DO NOT want to confuse customers. Modular Bumper equipped trucks DO NOT have fog switches, so that's why wed don't list it as an option. We'd have more people going "I can't find my fog light switch" than anything.

You're one of those unique cases who are changing things out on your own, so we have them listed under the Bronco Wire Harnesses section, as it's not something most folks do.

You are going to a modular bumper but whenever anybody asked remember to state that you DID have a capable/plastic bumper (Ford techs for example) because your wiring is setup different than a truck off the line with a modular bumper.

We have a post here that goes over this: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...r-to-modular-bumper-wiring-information.85846/
Ah, thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We actually sell complete fog kits here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

Depending on which kit you get, we make a factory pigtail that will allow you to connect your factory fog circuit to one pair of lights.

As for amperage/specs... ANY of the lights we sell will work. From the Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport up to the SS3 Max. They'll all be fine to power from the factory fog circuit. So no worries there.

Your truck DOES have factory fog lights, correct? If not, you won't have a wire there for the fog lights. If you do then you're covered and we have pigtails that plug into that factory circuit.

A few things to keep in mind

1) Make sure you get the OEM Ford Bumper. DO NOT under any circumstance get the knock-off ones from ebay. You'll have issues. We tried to install one for a local friend's truck and it was such a headache. The main problem is just the accessory mounting points. They only utilized 2 of the 3 accessory mounts in the bumper opening. The 2 that they provided, used NUTS behind the bumper and a bolt. They did NOT have threaded inserts. That means if you want to install an accessory you have to remove the bolt and nut and then SOMEHOW install the accessory while holding the nut behind the bumper and screwing down the bolt. PROBLEM IS, they have a CAP over the entire assembly so you can't even access this nut. It's IMPOSSIBLE to install accessories this way.

2) If you are going with a Ford OEM one, NICE, it'll be easier. MAKE SURE you save your harness. There is a harness that runs the length of your factory bumper you NEED to keep that. That has your sensor wires (if applicable) and your FOG LIGHT wiring. A lot of people fail to keep this and just sell their old plastic bumper WITH the existing wiring inside.

Are the ss3 sport SAE in white a worthwhile improvement over the factory fog lights in capable bumper? I’m not sure if i should go two sets of pro, or white sport and yellow pro.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are the ss3 sport SAE in white a worthwhile improvement over the factory fog lights in capable bumper? I’m not sure if i should go two sets of pro, or white sport and yellow pro.
Yes if you're looking to save some $$ the SS3 Sport are still an upgrade over the factory fogs. The SS3 Pro is the sweet spot in my opinion as far as how much light you get for your $$.

For the Capable our Dual kit is very popular as you can have WHITE fogs for normal conditions and then YELLOW fogs for bad weather.

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...brackets-for-2021-ford-bronco-capable-bumper/

Ford Bronco OEM Foglight Specs (capable bumper) 1713549445998-w6

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes if you're looking to save some $$ the SS3 Sport are still an upgrade over the factory fogs. The SS3 Pro is the sweet spot in my opinion as far as how much light you get for your $$.

For the Capable our Dual kit is very popular as you can have WHITE fogs for normal conditions and then YELLOW fogs for bad weather.

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...brackets-for-2021-ford-bronco-capable-bumper/

Ford Bronco OEM Foglight Specs (capable bumper) 1713549445998-w6
Good deal, thanks. I’ll definitely be ordering the capable dual kit from you this year.
Sponsored